New helmet for Oregon Vs. Stanford?

jake22

Here is what I think happened: Oregon took the field last night wearing their standard green helmet with white decals and both front and back bumpers, but it was the same standard green helmet. I have done a lot of research and I haven't found a single credible source saying that it was a new helmet, I would think that if it was new there would be something somewhere about it.

Many other people at Uni Watch are under the impression that it is a new helmet with a Jaguars like paint job, sometimes looking green and other times looking black. I am no disputing the fact that it looks different, it does, all I'm saying is that I think it is the standard green.

6339010731_eda912f72e_o.png

The picture in the bottom right hand corner is the only photo of last nights game, the rest are from other games.

I think the black effect is caused by it being a night game. Look at some of the photos below of other night games with the green helmet, see what I mean?

http://espn.go.com/ncf/photos?gameId=313160024 - Full gallery of Stanford game (127 pics)

http://espn.go.com/ncf/photos?gameId=293250012 - November 21, 2009 vs. Arizona (30 pics)

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/photos?gameId=293042483 - October 31, 2009 Vs. USC (21 pics)

I run The Duck Tracker over on the Uni Watch blog and I am trying to get this one right and I would love to hear what you all think.

I'll leave you with one last note, I received this email this morning from Phil who runs the weekend posts on Uni Watch, he got it from the original sender.

"Believe it or not, that’s the same green shell Oregon normally uses, minus the different side decal and front and back bumpers.

The helmet paint that is used is called Chrome Illusion. It changes colors depending on how the light hits it, or lack of light.

If that helmet is used in a day game, in some areas, it is bright kelly while others look dark green. But for a night game, some look dark green while others look black.

It’s supposed to represent the changing green of a Mallard Duck.

It seems to be brought up every year so I thought I would mention it. I do believe that since they let a separate company (Not Riddell or Schutt) paint the helmets year to year, that the mixture of shades may be a little different."

The paint is manufactured by DuPont and it is called "Chrome Illusion"

*facepalm* their standard green helmet HAS the jaguar like effect. It's had that for years now. The only reason people are thinking that it's different is because of the white helmet decal.

Last years Stanford game:

101002.JH.FBC.STANFORD.5032-464x500.jpg

ALSO last years Stanford game

GYI0061905297_large.jpg

OMG, teh helmet got, like, DARKER!!!!1!

Jesus Christ, sometimes I just don't get people.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Those orange alternates hurt my eyes, the uni numbers are atrocious and the city name on the home uniform is stupid, but overall not as horrible as I thought.

Ummmmmmmm....

1272253169769.jpg

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

I think it looks different - the black looks blacker (as opposed to just really dark green) and the green looks more tealish (though I'm sure that's not the desired effect.) It's certainly not blatantly obvious that it's different, but to me it looks like it might be.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think it looks different - the black looks blacker (as opposed to just really dark green) and the green looks more tealish (though I'm sure that's not the desired effect.) It's certainly not blatantly obvious that it's different, but to me it looks like it might be.

That's probably because of the white O. Trust me, had they worn the yellow O, this discussion wouldn't even be happening.

Come on guys. Would Oregon, I mean we are talking about OREGON, would they just bust out a brand new helmet and make absolutely no mention of it before or even after the game? I so completely doubt it. That is so unlike them. Also look at the picture i posted in the top right corner the lineman's helmet looks almost completely black.

It's all about the lighting and the white decal. The black pants don't hurt either.

Come on guys. Would Oregon, I mean we are talking about OREGON, would they just bust out a brand new helmet and make absolutely no mention of it before or even after the game? I so completely doubt it. That is so unlike them. Also look at the picture i posted in the top right corner the lineman's helmet looks almost completely black.

It's all about the lighting and the white decal. The black pants don't hurt either.

Thank you. Listen to this man. He speaks the truth.

See what happens when folks get so used to seeing a team that wears every combo of Nikefied colors except the ones that actually represent their school?

This discussion happens. :P

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Count me in as part of the people who thinks these are the same helmets. I watched the game and when people started saying they were a new helmet with a Jag effect I thought they were smokin peyote. I could be wrong, but that's how Oregons helmets usually look during night games. Here's a quick photoshop of the Holiday bowl a couple years ago.

200812302124770886458-pf.standard.jpghelmet2.png

And a larger photoshop against Tennessee last year.

Link

Count me in as part of the people who thinks these are the same helmets. I watched the game and when people started saying they were a new helmet with a Jag effect I thought they were smokin peyote. I could be wrong, but that's how Oregons helmets usually look during night games. Here's a quick photoshop of the Holiday bowl a couple years ago.

Link

I watched nearly the whole game and in every player close up one could easily tell that the hue of green was consistent with their existing green helmet.

Link

THANK YOU! You are my hero, that shows exactly 100% what I am talking about, the helmet is the same as it has always been. Anyone who still thinks otherwise is in fact smokin' peyote.

Archived