Urban Meyer to coach Buckeyes?

TBGKon

Really? Then how do you explain schools like "The U" and their 81% graduation rate for football players? Or Notre Dame's 96%? Or Stanford's 86%? I could go on but I think you get the point. To say that "the vast majority of these guys are athletes that go to classes" is flat out wrong. Even the lowest FBS graduation rates are still in the high 40s - low 50s. Not great, but still not enough to conclude that the "vast majority" of college athletes are uneducated morons who do nothing more than "go to classes."

The second bolded statement is just dumb. No offense.

I get what your trying to say, but I know the amount of time I spent doing college work as well as my friends and I know the amount of time these guys spend practicing. There's just not enough time in the day for most guys to take up a serious major with their education background and do sports at the same time. Its just not possible. Something has to give and it has to be the education, because if they lose the athletic part, they're gone. So they take joke classes that just showing up for will get you a C and that's pretty much all they ever take.

I'm not "trying" to say anything. The graduation rates are fact. Period.

I know for a fact that at Ohio State there is literally no way to take "joke classes" and still manage to graduate. (Trust me, I tried it. B) ) If it's like that at a football factory like OSU then I have to think it's like that at most other schools.

I don't care what graduation rates are, just because does not mean you got an education when it comes to this.

I'm also not saying every athlete is an idiot. What I'm saying anywhere between 60% and 80% simply cannot handle a normal college workload given their background and given their schedulue for sports. Look at where they're coming from school wise, family wise, what their SAT scores are and how much time their putting into their sport.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's unofficially official. Urban Meyer has agreed to terms with The Ohio State University. All that is left is to cross the T's and dot the I's.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Really? Then how do you explain schools like "The U" and their 81% graduation rate for football players? Or Notre Dame's 96%? Or Stanford's 86%? I could go on but I think you get the point. To say that "the vast majority of these guys are athletes that go to classes" is flat out wrong. Even the lowest FBS graduation rates are still in the high 40s - low 50s. Not great, but still not enough to conclude that the "vast majority" of college athletes are uneducated morons who do nothing more than "go to classes."

I get what your trying to say, but I know the amount of time I spent doing college work as well as my friends and I know the amount of time these guys spend practicing. There's just not enough time in the day for most guys to take up a serious major with their education background and do sports at the same time. Its just not possible. Something has to give and it has to be the education, because if they lose the athletic part, they're gone. So they take joke classes that just showing up for will get you a C and that's pretty much all they ever take.

I know for a fact that at Ohio State there is literally no way to take "joke classes" and still manage to graduate. (Trust me, I tried it. B) ) If it's like that at a football factory like OSU then I have to think it's like that at most other schools.

I don't care what graduation rates are, just because does not mean you got an education when it comes to this.

I'm also not saying every athlete is an idiot. What I'm saying anywhere between 60% and 80% simply cannot handle a normal college workload given their background and given their schedulue for sports. Look at where they're coming from school wise, family wise, what their SAT scores are and how much time their putting into their sport.

So you're basically saying that, despite all evidence to the contrary, you're still right. No offense, but I think I'm going with the people who, you know, study and research these things over a guy on the internet who, when referring to getting a college education wrote the following; I don't care what graduation rates are, just because does not mean you got an education when it comes to this.

BB52Big.jpg

It's unofficially official. Urban Meyer has agreed to terms with The Ohio State University. All that is left is to cross the T's and dot the I's.

Source? And please don't say one of those morons on Cleveland sports radio. As a former radio sports talk show host, I know how reliable radio sports talk show hosts are. Not very. B)

BB52Big.jpg

So you're basically saying that, despite all evidence to the contrary, you're still right. No offense, but I think I'm going with the people who, you know, study and research these things over a guy on the internet who, when referring to getting a college education wrote the following; I don't care what graduation rates are, just because does not mean you got an education when it comes to this.

Well how many of these research guys actaully saw how a college program inside and out? Stats are nice, but without context they're meaningless. What are the majors and their transcripts? What are their SAT scores? Where are they from? What's their family situation like? Those are questions that do matter.

When you see stats like under 2% majoring in engineering, and over 3% majoring in sports management, it tells me the majors college football players choose are not representative of the general student body.

Source? And please don't say one of those morons on Cleveland sports radio. As a former radio sports talk show host, I know how reliable radio sports talk show hosts are. Not very. B)

They has the guy who broke the story on 92.3 The Fan with Dustin Fox, Joe Lul, and Mike Doss. He said the Meyer and Ohio State agreed to money, years, bonuses, benefits, etc. He said the official announcement will come with in a week of this coming Saturday. Like I said, its unofficially official, meaning Urban Meyer has not official signed his name on the contract - out of respect of Luke Fickle and the current staff.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Well how many of these research guys actaully saw how a college program inside and out? Stats are nice, but without context they're meaningless. What are the majors and their transcripts? What are their SAT scores? Where are they from? What's their family situation like? Those are questions that do matter.

And you don't have an answer for any of them so let's stop pretending that you're the be all, end all expert on this, OK?

The context of the stats is pretty obvious isn't it? 81% of Miami's football players graduate. What part of that needs more context?

BB52Big.jpg

When you see stats like under 2% majoring in engineering, and over 3% majoring in sports management, it tells me the majors college football players choose are not representative of the general student body.

(Bragging about my grades alert) At Ohio State I had a GPA of 3.91. I was on the Dean's list the entire time I was there. I was the Geography, Philosophy, and Political Science Student of the year. There are books in the OSU Library that honor, well, me. So what was my SAT score? I didn't have one. To this day, I have never taken the SAT. I started college at age 23. I don't remember how or why anymore, but I didn't need to take the SAT. My point being that your SAT score means you did well on the SAT. I'm living proof that you don't need to do well on the SAT to be a good student. Hell, apparently you don't even have to take the damned thing.

Over 3%? Seriously? 3% doesn't really represent anything. And since when does anything other than majoring in engineering mean you can't cut it? I majored in Journalism. God, I hope no one finds out what an idiot I am. :rolleyes:

BB52Big.jpg

And you don't have an answer for any of them so let's stop pretending that you're the be all, end all expert on this, OK?

The context of the stats is pretty obvious isn't it? 81% of Miami's football players graduate. What part of that needs more context?

I'm sorry for thinking that just because I saw how recruiting worked, talked to athletes, knew them and saw what they were capable of both on and off the court that I know anything about this topic.

I'm sorry for thinking that just because I saw how recruiting worked, talked to athletes, knew them and saw what they were capable of both on and off the court that I know anything about this topic.

Apology accepted. I respect the fact that you're willing to admit you're wrong. B)

I'm sorry for believing the NCAA knows anything about graduation rates.

BB52Big.jpg

They take mickey mouse classes made for them. They also cheat with professors organizing it. Look at FSU a few years ago.

It seems pretty straightforward, doesn't it?

Infrared, I don't take you to be a pollyanna, but I'm surprised how much you're sticking to a fantasy that college football and basketball players are just like us. They aren't. And citing stats that could be manipulated any billions of ways doesn't really do much for me.

Again, if a university could cover up child rape in order to protect its football program, do you really think it's such a stretch to think that athlete academics might not be totally on the up-and-up?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

They take mickey mouse classes made for them. They also cheat with professors organizing it. Look at FSU a few years ago.

Infrared, I don't take you to be a pollyanna, but I'm surprised how much you're sticking to a fantasy that college football and basketball players are just like us. They aren't. And citing stats that could be manipulated any billions of ways doesn't really do much for me.

Again, if a university could cover up child rape in order to protect its football program, do you really think it's such a stretch to think that athlete academics might not be totally on the up-and-up?

Anything is possible, but the only defense I've seen about athletes getting preferential treatment on grades is a "We all know..." line or a hearsay remark. I'm not one for believing conspiracy theories.

And if there is any sort of manipulation about grades, Georgia's not doing it right. The school's top returning RB was declared academically ineligible before the season. Methinks that a team that was already thin at RB...with a coach that was on the hot seat....would make sure all their top talent is able to play games.

Anything is possible, but the only defense I've seen about athletes getting preferential treatment on grades is a "We all know..." line or a hearsay remark. I'm not one for believing conspiracy theories.

And if there is any sort of manipulation about grades, Georgia's not doing it right. The school's top returning RB was declared academically ineligible before the season. Methinks that a team that was already thin at RB...with a coach that was on the hot seat....would make sure all their top talent is able to play games.

The only thing we checked on was to see if guys were going to class. That was a big deal.

Beyond that though, we didn't care much. As long as you got the grades to be eligable you were good. Didn't matter how you got them, just so long as you got them. The vast majority I'd say were earned without the need for "extra credit"

The only thing we checked on was to see if guys were going to class. That was a big deal.

Beyond that though, we didn't care much. As long as you got the grades to be eligable you were good. Didn't matter how you got them, just so long as you got them. The vast majority I'd say were earned without the need for "extra credit"

What clown college are you working at?

Better yet, which clown college gave you a degree?

What clown college are you working at?

Better yet, which clown college gave you a degree?

It wasn't our rule it was NCAA.

Minimum GPA was a 2.5 I believe, and coaches would regularly get progress reports from professors to make sure they were on pace. If you were on pace for a 1.8 you got sat down.

As far as spelling mistakes go whatever. I'm not proofreading this and don't have spell check on my browser.

A. That's not at all the point I'm trying to make. Maybe I'm not doing a good enough job of presenting my argument. All I was saying is that it's a little unfair to paint all players with the very broad brush pmo..whatever his name is was painting them with. I'll be the first to admit that the true "student-athlete" is hardly the rule. But we also need to stop acting like finding a leprechaun is easier than finding a college football player who actually earned a degree.

Keep in mind that the majority of scholarship athletes ride the bench. We've never heard of them and it's likely that we never will. All I'm saying is this, is it really that big of a stretch to think that the RB or OL who's number seven on the depth chart might be smart enough to realize that his best bet is to direct his efforts towards an education? Trust me, I'm not buying into any fantasy. I've covered college sports on and off for 20 years. I've seen the very worst of big time college sports. But I've also run across more than my share of very intelligent athletes who actually are taking advantage of the free education being offered to them. No, they're not the majority, but they're also not as rare as some people here would like us to believe.

EDIT: And let's not forget that among the "special treatment" athletes receive are things like unlimited access to tutors. It's not all bad is all I'm saying.

B. I have no doubt that academics aren't totally on the up-and-up. My guess is my alma mater is one of the worst offenders. B)

BB52Big.jpg

Keep in mind that the majority of scholarship athletes ride the bench. We've never heard of them and it's likely that we never will. All I'm saying is this, is it really that big of a stretch to think that the RB or OL who's number seven on the depth chart might be smart enough to realize that his best bet is to direct his efforts towards an education?

You would hope that this is the case, and that these would be the guys most likely to take advantage of the personal tutors provided to the football teams. It's not a stretch to think that many of these guys graduate legitimately, because, after all, despite their workload and everything else working against them, they do get advantages (the tutors for example) that most students either don't have access to or have to jump through hoops to get. You could be dumb as a rock, but if someone is personally assisting you, you'll get it (or, just get them to do it for you, which I'm sure happens more often than we hear about.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

A. That's not at all the point I'm trying to make. Maybe I'm not doing a good enough job of presenting my argument. All I was saying is that it's a little unfair to paint all players with the very broad brush pmo..whatever his name is was painting them with. I'll be the first to admit that the true "student-athlete" is hardly the rule. But we also need to stop acting like finding a leprechaun is easier than finding a college football player who actually earned a degree.

I'm not even saying they're dumb either.

I'm saying what are the type of degrees they are earning and are they actually taking challenging classes. My experience was no most were not because they didn't have the education background to enable them to, and couldn't put in the amount of time to study for those classes because of their sports commitments.

There's certain major out there like engineering that can be taken up by 10% of a school, but you'll be lucky to find more then one or two guys on a team taking it out of a 75 man roster. Sometimes you won't even find any. And its because those majors are hard and you need time to do the work, and there's very few guys are capable of doing the work and having the education background to prepare them for it.

Archived