Urban Meyer to coach Buckeyes?

TBGKon

What do you pay the swimmers and rowers? What do you pay the baseball and softball players? What do you pay the football/basketball players? What do you pay the third-string reserves? What's the minimum number of athletes that can be on the payroll? Are all student-athletes thought of as equal, and should they be?

If they're going to be paid, their pay should be based on the revenue they generate. So swimmers and rowers, well, you get the idea.

Replying to you and BBVT before switching over to Gary's newly-created thread...

If you don't pay swimmers and rowers, there's a far lower incentive to become a collegiate swimmer or rower, and then eventually, a college will only have three or four sports, and maybe, MAYBE, one female sport. Right now, there's a decent incentive to be a swimmer or rower because you have the same benefits as football players. Who would want to swim if you're not getting paid even though the back-up punter for your school is getting an extra paycheck? Why would anyone play lacrosse at your school if lacrosse is non-revenue generating? So on and so forth. Pretty soon, all we'll have is male football, basketball, and maybe baseball NCAA sports.

TV deals are done by conference, right? It shouldn't be too hard to figure out a conference's TV deal and "football related revenue". Players in a conference would essentially be in unions that get them X% of said revenue. How to distribute it? I don't know - evenly among all players I guess. Maybe have a Freshman rate, Sophomore rate, Junior rate, and Senior rate, to encourage borderline draftable kids to stick around. So your average SEC kid is going to make more than your average MAC kid. Oh well. That's life in any industry - you're worth what you produce.

There are exceptions though. Your average Central Michigan player might be better than your average Vanderbilt or Duke or Colorado player. The worst team in a small conference may not be as bad as the worst team in a higher-paying conference (in theory at least). There are snags when you start "averaging" players across conferences.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ESPN is reporting Coach Meyer has agreed to become Ohio State's new head coach -- 4 years/70 MILLION DOLLARS. :jawdrop:

EDIT: Error on ESPN's part. 7 years, $40 mil.

I already reported this Tuesday. :)

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

His agent confirms he's taking the job. His health is miraculously cured.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

$40 Million cures a lot of things, you'd be surprised.

Someone with "knowledge of the situation" is reporting that Urban wants Gene Smith gone, but Gordon Gee is reluctant to fire Smith.

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

He was also able to watch his children completely grow up in one year, too. This guy rules the world with magic and stuff!

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Just bit of a slap in the face to the Gators and Florida fans everywhere.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

$40 Million cures a lot of things, you'd be surprised.

Someone with "knowledge of the situation" is reporting that Urban wants Gene Smith gone, but Gordon Gee is reluctant to fire Smith.

It may assist with somethings, but that money does not cure migraines or spasms of the esophagus.

2 national championships weren't good enough? The guy has to spend his entire life in Gainesville too?

Really. He owes them nothing. In "real life", people make career moves all the time in order to get to a place that they want to work, be it from a positional standpoint or literally a location standpoint. For some reason, people get all butthurt when it comes to sports. I have a PNC checking account. If the head of PNC's consumer banking department left to take a position with Wells Fargo, I wouldn't get all upset and feel like it's a slap in the face to PNC account holders.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 national championships weren't good enough? The guy has to spend his entire life in Gainesville too?

For reasons beyond my understanding, Florida fans have a real problem with Ohio State. If I didn't know better, I'd swear Florida's biggest rival is Ohio State. My sister-in-law 's family is full of Florida fans. Every time I'm around them, they go out of their way to bash Ohio State etc. They were so obnoxious at my brother's wedding that my 70 year old, mother, who knows nothing about sports, went off on them. To this day, I still get emails and FB comments from them trying to stoke a rivalry that doesn't exist anywhere but in their heads.

BB52Big.jpg

For reasons beyond my understanding, Florida fans have a real problem with Ohio State. If I didn't know better, I'd swear Florida's biggest rival is Ohio State. My sister-in-law 's family is full of Florida fans. Every time I'm around them, they go out of their way to bash Ohio State etc. They were so obnoxious at my brother's wedding that my 70 year old, mother, who knows nothing about sports, went off on them. To this day, I still get emails and FB comments from them trying to stoke a rivalry that doesn't exist anywhere but in their heads.

If anything it should be the other way around. Ohio State afforded them a national title in both football and basketball. Florida fans are weird.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I don't really understand how their is a rivalry though. The Gators beat the Buckeyes in the NCAA Basketball Tournament for the National Title and they beat the Buckeyes in the BCS Championship. I understand in the last 3 years, OSU has been dominant in basketball, but none-the-less, Florida has the rings AND beat OSU on the field.

If its true what you say about Gator fans, I'm not sure how they can feel their is a rivalry. As a Buckeye fan, I think there should be at least 1 National Title in basketball and at least a victory or 2 over the football team (not necessarily in a major bowl game) for their to be the ground work for a rivalry.

It's not that he's coaching the Buckeyes, it's the way he left the Gators. He retired because of "health problems and wanting to spend time with family" Just one year later, he's back coaching again. If he went straight from Florida to Ohio State, then it's no problem.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I don't really understand how their is a rivalry though. The Gators beat the Buckeyes in the NCAA Basketball Tournament for the National Title and they beat the Buckeyes in the BCS Championship. I understand in the last 3 years, OSU has been dominant in basketball, but none-the-less, Florida has the rings AND beat OSU on the field.

If its true what you say about Gator fans, I'm not sure how they can feel their is a rivalry. As a Buckeye fan, I think there should be at least 1 National Title in basketball and at least a victory or 2 over the football team (not necessarily in a major bowl game) for their to be the ground work for a rivalry.

1. There isn't one, at least not on our end anyway.

2. Do you think I made it up or something? B) Seriously though, keep in mind that I'm talking about one group of Gators fans that I encountered. I don't know if they're all like that. For their sake, I sure hope not.

BB52Big.jpg

It's not that he's coaching the Buckeyes, it's the way he left the Gators. He retired because of "health problems and wanting to spend time with family" Just one year later, he's back coaching again. If he went straight from Florida to Ohio State, then it's no problem.

How do you know his health hasn't improved? and finally... every coach deserves the right to go home. Ohio is his home.

He's still in his 40's, should not be surprised by this...

Rumors are floating around the Urban Meyer is asking for up to 8 Academic Exceptions per year for the football team. I'm not sure what the norm/average is around the country, but as a point of reference, Jim Tressel was granted 2 per year.

On a lighter note, when it comes to the Press Conference, what is the over under on the first Woody Hayes reference?

Rumors are floating around the Urban Meyer is asking for up to 8 Academic Exceptions per year for the football team. I'm not sure what the norm/average is around the country, but as a point of reference, Jim Tressel was granted 2 per year.

On a lighter note, when it comes to the Press Conference, what is the over under on the first Woody Hayes reference?

If Ohio State gives him 8 academic exceptions while on probation already it will be just go further into making the NCAA an utter complete joke.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Clearly, his health problems are cured...and when he wasn't fulfilling his ESPN college football analyst duties, he obviously spent enough time with his family to last him the next 7 years.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Archived