All-Time Basketball Draft DISCUSSIONS Thread

mania

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was actually surprised you got him.

I had him at #3 on my board. I think you could make a case at him being the best center of all time, which would mean you got a better pick than the #1 overall.

In my book, he is without question the best center of all-time. I'd argue that he's at least in the discussion of best player ever. I feel I definitely got the better pick. Kareem owned Wilt, and unlike Wilt, Kareem was money in the clutch. Wilt was a statistical machine but he, pardon the pun, wilted under pressure. To be honest, Kareem was my going to be my first pick if I got to choose number one overall.

I gotta say that I'm stunned by how early Karl Malone went. This is going to be a very interesting draft. It has not gone at all like I thought it would. Malone before Bird? MJ gets drafted second? Maravich goes top ten? This is going to be a lot of fun.

BB52Big.jpg

LightsOut posted a pick of MJ in a :censored:ing Wizards jersey, hahaha god dammit LO

That's like Piss Christ. :shocked:

Oh and Karl Malone seems like a reach to me. I can think of 4 or 5 guys I would of taken before him, including Bill Russell who was taken right after him.

I can come up with about 20. Malone never impressed as much as he did other people. I'm not saying he wasn't great, but I don't think he's in the top 20 all-time. There are way too many forwards out there to drop a top ten pick on Malone. And now that he's been picked, there's no way in hell Malone should have gone before Larry Bird.

BB52Big.jpg

Elite big men are a rarity, and so I went with Shaq as my first round pick. I think there are only a couple of others on the board at his level, and so I wasn't sure if I'd get someone by waiting until the second round.

Great pick in my opinion. Shaq was my pick if Kareem wasn't there. I had him as the #2 center on my board.

BB52Big.jpg

I knew I was going to go PG in the first round, it was really between Maravich and Stockton, but I had to risk it on the pistol. With the rush on bigs, I may regret that decision.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I've always thought the mailman to be extremely underated.

This guy was not simply a compiler. This was a guy that was good for 25+ a night, and 10+ rebounds for over a decade. Shoot over 50% from the field alot of years. Good defensive player. And he was a two time MVP.

The reason people don't like him is the fact that he played in Utah, he wasn't a flashy player and didn't have the greatest personality in the world. Can't think of many memorable quotes related to Karl Malone.

But if there's better PF's out there I can't think of many. Malone was a dominant player. You cannot put up those kinds of numbers and not be.

Maravich I'm stunned to see go top ten. If this was a college draft I could see it, but where are his NBA numbers? When healthy his great but he's just hurt all the time. He basically has a ten year career, has a few years where he's a dominating player, but those injuries are just too much for me to even consider him amongst the games all-time greats.

Elite big men are a rarity, and so I went with Shaq as my first round pick. I think there are only a couple of others on the board at his level, and so I wasn't sure if I'd get someone by waiting until the second round.

Great pick in my opinion. Shaq was my pick if Kareem wasn't there. I had him as the #2 center on my board.

Same here, though I still debated taking him at 7, but what would be the fun in starting the draft with a guy i saw play the majority of his career?

Same here, though I still debated taking him at 7, but what would be the fun in starting the draft with a guy i saw play the majority of his career?

Shaq was a nice pick, I thought I had a shot at him on my second pick, but I'll have to find someone else I guess. I'm happy to take Larry Bird where I did, he can do it all for us. I'm not a fan of that Dr. J pick though. Outside of flashiness and athleticism, he doesn't offer as much as a lot of the players still on the board.

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

Shaq was a nice pick, I thought I had a shot at him on my second pick, but I'll have to find someone else I guess. I'm happy to take Larry Bird where I did, he can do it all for us. I'm not a fan of that Dr. J pick though. Outside of flashiness and athleticism, he doesn't offer as much as a lot of the players still on the board.

The thing with Dr. J is in order to be high on him you have to be high on the ABA as a league. Just looking at his NBA numbers he's not even close to a top ten player. But you if you view those ABA stats as equal to NBA numbers he has a pretty good argument for being taken where he was.

Dr. J is also far from being the only guy who's repuation depends a great deal on how you look at the ABA. I tend to think of the ABA as an equal and will draft accordingly so you might see me take some guys later on that don't exactly have the biggest of reps or the best NBA numbers, but the ABA stats will be there.

I think the A BA was the better league in the 70's.

All-time matchups ABA teams beat NBA teams 79-76, so I don't think its crazy to think that a team like the New York Nets or Kentucky Colonels could have been NBA champions had they played in the NBA during that time period.

If you look at most guys numbers who played in both the ABA and NBA you will see a slight dropoff, but as is the case with guys like Erving that could equally be explained by just following a normal career track.

I don't see any statistical evidence to suggest that one league was anymore dominating then the other.

Reggie in the first round?

Ya, I looked on NBA.com at the legends, and REggie semed like a good pick. He could be a bust, or great pick.

So when do you guys think Lebron will be picked? I'm not saying I'm gonna pick him, but just wondering.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

Damn, Barkley got taken. I'm interested to see how things pan out. This is kinda fun!

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived