All-Time Basketball Draft DISCUSSIONS Thread

mania

I picked arguably the greatest PG of all time in The Big O, but now I'm struggling to pick an elite center. Maybe I should have went with Kareem like I was contemplating, but today's game is more of a guard driven league.. Maybe I can build my team with elite PFs, coupled with great guards, but we'll see how the rest of the draft goes. You can still have a great team with a good, not all time great center because a guy like The Big O makes everyone around him better.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't know I was on the clock. As you saw, I posted in this thread about the draft when I was unaware I was on the clock, I'll pick shortly. I was expecting a PM, but I'll check the thread out from this point on. Sorry.

I just have that thread and the google doc bookmarked. Lot easier.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Rodman. Wow.

Yeah he's somebody I really think people have selective memories as to the type of player he was.

With the exception of Bill Russell argubly the greatest defensive player of all-time. No doubt about it that he is amongst the NBA's elite on that end of the floor. But offensively the guy was virtually non-existent. Never scored over a 1000 points in a season. Would quit on teams mid-season if there were things going on in his life outside of basketball. And I also remember him spending his entire Bulls career in constant danger of losing his starting job to Toni Kukoc in large part because of his off court antics.

My view with Rodman is when he was there he's one of the best the game has to offer, but when his head was elsewhere (which was about a 1/3 of the time) he was basically useless. A team like Chicago is about the only enivroment he could have done well in later in his career. All he was asked to do was play defense and was allowed to get away with the crap he pulled during the season provided he was there for the playoffs. Not an easy guy to deal with by any means, not a guy you could build around and not a Hall of Fame player to me.

While it's almost certainly a homer pick, I like the direction my team is going. I don't want to really talk about what I plan on doing with my next picks, but I've got a plan on how I'm going to form the team. Rodman was possibly the best rebounder and defensive player that the NBA has ever seen. When building an all-time team like this it's easy to take the best scorers out there, but defense is very underrated in the NBA.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

It killed me to take a Celtic, but John Havlicek was there and I think talent at the small forward position will drop off quickly and significantly as we get into the later rounds. He wasn't someone who I saw myself picking but I couldn't pass up the value.

Rodman's not a bad pick at all. The guy was a rebounding and defensive machine. And people forget that he could score a few points when needed. The Rodman I remember is the guy who helped the Pistons to two straight titles. The guy could play.

BB52Big.jpg

Damn, Havlicek was the exact guy I posted about before. A third-round steal.

I was really debating taking Hondo over either Pettit or Cousy mainly for lack of position depth at the 3 position.

Pettit I felt was by far the best guy available at my spot and Cousy after Robertson I think has as good of an arugment as anyone for being the second greatest point guard to ever play the game.

After Pettit and Cousy though I felt Hondo was the next best guy on the board.

While it's almost certainly a homer pick, I like the direction my team is going. I don't want to really talk about what I plan on doing with my next picks, but I've got a plan on how I'm going to form the team. Rodman was possibly the best rebounder and defensive player that the NBA has ever seen. When building an all-time team like this it's easy to take the best scorers out there, but defense is very underrated in the NBA.

The biggest knock I had against Dennis was more of his general aloofness then anything he did on the court.

With Detroit I think he was there mentally just about every game. But once he started going out with Madonna and Carmen Electra, wearing wedding dresses and getting in the ring with Hulk Hogan, I think thats when you saw him begin to lose interest in what he was doing on the court and as a consequence he wasn't always there because he was busy being a male socialite. The Spurs gave him up in the prime of his career for Will Perdue and cash. That should tell you how much teams thought of him.

Had he gone anywhere else but Chicago, I don't think he would have made it past the '96 season. There were games where he would tell Phil Jackson I don't feel like playing tonight. Give alot of credit to guys like Phil Jackson and the other strong personalities on that team for giving him all the credit in the world for when he did show up and ignoring that kind of stuff. The fact the Bulls won games and titles is the only reason he was allowed to get away with as much as he was. But like I said anywhere else, no way it would have lasted.

Stockton was another pick high on my list.

Now I'm not feeling too good about the way this round is turning.

There's still a ton of talent out there at PG. I think it's the deepest position in the draft. I have a list of about ten that I'd be very happy with.

BB52Big.jpg

I think there are some positions where there are a little higher ceiling of player available while in others, there's nobody that really jumps out at me. That's a big influence on the way I'm looking at the next two rounds, provided nobody I want gets poached.

There is one position that is really shallow (for lack of a better term.) I have a couple players on my board that I seriously doubt will last much longer. This draft gets tricky fast.

BB52Big.jpg

I know with me its ten times easier drafting out of this spot then where I was with the baseball draft, which was dead smack in the middle.

Besides the fact that I don't have to worry about checking my computer every two hours to see if my spot is up (I know I'm not going to be drafting until tomorrow at the earliest) I have no worries if should I draft this guy now or hope he's still there at a later round, because unless I'm way off in where I have him ranked, somebody in the next 20 picks is going to take him.

I don't know how Stockton was still there, I was really hoping he would fall to me. Whatever I'll make my pick soon

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

Archived