All-Time Basketball Draft DISCUSSIONS Thread

mania

I didn't say they were bad scorers, just that they weren't great scorers. Pippen was a good offensive player, great defensive player. Isiah was a scoring point guard and a great one at that, but that's not a position where your best scorer generally comes from. Usually teams that do have their leading scorer coming from the PG position aren't great offensively. Doesn't mean they are a bad offense, and by all means if the guard can score let him go score. About the only team I can think of that relied primarily on their PG for points and was a great offensive team was the Cincinnati Royals of the 1960's, but Oscar Robertson was just a freak of nature when it came to putting up points.

For a team like that if Isiah and Scottie are both scoring 20+ a night that means they're either blowing the other team out, or there's a serious problem with the way the offense is being run. Jordan should be the only guy on that team above 25 a night. Everyone else should be around 15 with DeBusschere right around 10. I wouldn't expect them to be a fast team therefore not a high scoring team and if you have Michael Jordan that's your first scoring option.

My point was that Zeke and Scottie weren't great scorers because they didn't need to be. Zeke could have easily been a 2 guard; hell, he practically was. If memory serves, he was the leading scorer on those great Pistons teams. Same deal with Pippen. He didn't need to be the Bulls top scoring option for obvious reasons. If Scottie had played elsewhere in the prime of his career, I think he would have been a much different player, and a top scorer.

EDIT: Just looked it up. Pippen was the Bulls leading scorer when Jordan was playing baseball. Thomas was either the leading scorer or within a ppg or less of being the leading scorer on those Pistons teams.

With Isiah yeah he was leading the Pistons in points scored but the Pistons never were a team with a primary scoring option. Its always Isiah and somebody else. They spread the ball out pretty well. Oscar was the primary scoring option on Cincinnati. He was scoring well over 500 more points then anyone else on the roster just about every year.

And I'm not bashing these guys either. I know what their numbers were. I just don't regard anything above a handful of players as great scorers. Oscar Robertson, Jordan, Chamberlain, Gervin, Erving, those guys were great scorers. If your not in that group of guys or can't match them (because I am leaving some names off the list) then your not a great scorer.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn, I wanted Mutombo, that would have really rounded out my lineup. But I'm happy with Willis Reed, surprised he hasn't been taken yet. That leaves my starting lineup as follows:

PG-Jason Kidd

SG- Kobe Bryant

SF- Rick Barry

PF- Larry Bird

C- Willis Reed

I like it, lots of offense.

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

Damn, I wanted Mutombo, that would have really rounded out my lineup. But I'm happy with Willis Reed, surprised he hasn't been taken yet. That leaves my starting lineup as follows:

PG-Jason Kidd

SG- Kobe Bryant

SF- Rick Barry

PF- Larry Bird

C- Willis Reed

I like it, lots of offense.

A big team that can run the floor. Great defensive backcourt, but not much up front defensively so I would want to play a little up tempo, but because of that size you don't have to be a pure full court team either. Two great scorers in Bird and Bryant with Rick Barry not far behind. Kidd can dish the rock as well as anybody.

Gave you MacLeod but your a tough team to place strategy wise because your a big team that's going to make its living mainly on the perimeter and driving to the basket. Not many teams like that. Dribble drive would be perfect for a team like that but there's not many teams that use that style of play at the NBA level. Its becoming more accepted but its still a pretty new offense. The Magic and Cetlics are about the only two teams I can think of that runs it as of now at the NBA level, but I think that number is going to pick up in the next few years.

Surprised to see that Willis Reed and Dolph Schayes lasted as long as they did. Especially in Reed's case. Center isn't all that deep of a position. And there are still a few centers on the board that, frankly, I can't believe are still there.

BB52Big.jpg

Oscar Robertson, Jordan, Chamberlain, Gervin, Erving, those guys were great scorers. If your not in that group of guys or can't match them (because I am leaving some names off the list) then your not a great scorer.

So that settles that then. :rolleyes: The NBA's all-time leading scorer wasn't a great scorer? This "I know everything" attitude of yours just isn't very appealing. You should try to play nicer. Oh, and it's you're not your. B)

BB52Big.jpg

Has Bob Petit been taken yet? I need a good power forward as my last starter. Can you guys name some?

Pettit was gone a long time ago.

Schayes was a guy I was very unsure of where he would go. He's a 12 time all-star, 6 time all-first team but yet you don't here his name mentioned amongst the games all-time greats but he's just as good if not better then alot of guys who's names anyone could spin off the top of their head. Guys like Bird, Barkley, Russell, Garnett, Barkley, Hondo. You can't be a legit 12 time all-star, top ten in points scored and rebounds 11 times and not be in the class of players. I think Dolph Schayes can go toe to toe with any of those guys.

Has Bob Petit been taken yet? I need a good power forward as my last starter. Can you guys name some?

Sure. I'll PM you my entire draft list. Just make sure you leave me a few players to draft.

I don't think you're going to get a lot of help on this one since we're...you know...sort of competing against each other. B)

BB52Big.jpg

Oscar Robertson, Jordan, Chamberlain, Gervin, Erving, those guys were great scorers. If your not in that group of guys or can't match them (because I am leaving some names off the list) then your not a great scorer.

So that settles that then. :rolleyes: The NBA's all-time leading scorer wasn't a great scorer? This "I know everything" attitude of yours just isn't very appealing. You should try to play nicer. Oh, and it's you're not your. B)

I even said I left names off the list. Certainly Abdul-Jabber is up there though.

Obviously you got some beef with me, so if you really got a problem take it to the PM's. You can say what you want about me, but I don't attack people personally like that. And if you don't want to do that then ignore me. I want to have an open conversation about this but I think you have another motive in mind with me.

Sure. I'll PM you my entire draft list. Just make sure you leave me a few players to draft.

I don't think you're going to get a lot of help on this one since we're...you know...sort of competing against each other. B)

Yup, I completely understand, and I won't steal all the guys you name, go ahead and PM me.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

I even said I left names off the list. Certainly Abdul-Jabber is up there though.

Obviously you got some beef with me, so if you really got a problem take it to the PM's. You can say what you want about me, but I don't attack people personally like that. And if you don't want to do that then ignore me. I want to have an open conversation about this but I think you have another motive in mind with me.

No, not at all. I actually respect your opinion. I just think you come off as a bit of a know-it-all. You think a statement like "If your not in that group of guys or can't match them (because I am leaving some names off the list)then your not a great scorer" sounds like someone wanting to have a discussion? Maybe it's just me, but that sounds an awful lot like a guy who thinks his opinion is the only correct opinion.

And none of what I said was meant to be a "personal attack." I was simply pointing out that your attitude makes it difficult to talk to you. The only "motive" I have is to try to enjoy this without being told I'm wrong every time I post something.

BB52Big.jpg

Yup, I completely understand, and I won't steal all the guys you name, go ahead and PM me.

Well, I was kidding but I suppose I can send you a couple names that I'm not interested in drafting. Keep an eye on your in box.

EDIT: Wow, I can't believe some of the names that are still available. OK, I'm not sending you those names but I will send a few suggestions.

BB52Big.jpg

Alright, as it stands...

PG Allen Iverson

SG Joe Dumars

SF Paul Pierce

PF Tim Duncan

C Shaquille O'Neal

I think it's a team that can definitely score buckets in bunches, I'm generally strong in defense, and there's a lot of versatility in there, depending on the matchups, I could provide a few different looks.

PG Marovich

SG Allen

SF Mullin

PF Garnett

C Ewing

I think that's quite the respectable group. Not the most balanced in terms of brute powerball, but a lot of finesse and hopefully Garnett would contribute his usual intensity. I'm going to aim for attitude and grit to make up my bench.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Really happy with my 2 picks. Landed one of the most underrated small forwards players ever (and my all-time favorite) in English, and another scorer and shot-blocker in Gilmore.

PG - Payton

SG - Drexler

SF - English

PF - Barkley

C - Olajuwon / Gilmore

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Archived