All-Time Basketball Draft DISCUSSIONS Thread

mania

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I picked the 4th Johnson in this draft. As you probably know, Johnson is also the current mayor of Sacramento.

For this pick, it came down to Johnson and another guard who is still playing in the NBA.

I definitely wanted some speed with this pick, so Johnson was perfect.

After some thoughtful investigation, I think Kevin Johnson was definitely the better pick, over Roger Mason Jr. who is obviously the guy you're talking about.

Turns out I got my first choice after all. Of the PGs I had on my board, I actually had Lenny Wilkens as my first choice followed by Archibald and D. Johnson. I realized this after I went back to my notes. After that it was a matter of hoping AnythingChicago didn't grab him. Turns out he drafted my backup plan instead. I'm very pleased to have gotten Wilkens. Once again, I'm a little surprised he lasted this long. My guess is you young folk think of him more as a coach than a player. Newsflash: the guy was a great player too. B)

BB52Big.jpg

I picked the 4th Johnson in this draft. As you probably know, Johnson is also the current mayor of Sacramento.

For this pick, it came down to Johnson and another guard who is still playing in the NBA.

I definitely wanted some speed with this pick, so Johnson was perfect.

After some thoughtful investigation, I think Kevin Johnson was definitely the better pick, over Roger Mason Jr. who is obviously the guy you're talking about.

Actually, no, it wasn't Mason Jr. I was thinking of.

25yzwqg.png

Turns out I got my first choice after all. Of the PGs I had on my board, I actually had Lenny Wilkens as my first choice followed by Archibald and D. Johnson. I realized this after I went back to my notes. After that it was a matter of hoping AnythingChicago didn't grab him. Turns out he drafted my backup plan instead. I'm very pleased to have gotten Wilkens. Once again, I'm a little surprised he lasted this long. My guess is you young folk think of him more as a coach than a player. Newsflash: the guy was a great player too. B)

There's only PG left that I had in front of Lenny Wilkens (who I had 12th overall for PG's throwing out 50's PG's not named Bob Cousy) that hasn't been taken yet and am very surprised that he's still on the board. I'm not taking him because I see some quality big men being ignored with the run on small men, but whoever does is going to get a great value pick.

Wilkens being on the top 50 team I would say yes to at the time, now I'd probably say no to, but that's as good of a PG as your going to get at this point.

I have a feeling Yao Ming is going to set off some debate here. Feels a little high. His peak was really good, but due to injuries, it was really, really short.

There are definitely a few centers out there that I would have taken before him.

BB52Big.jpg

Parish I could understand people passing on. Never the best center in the league and it could be argued that he is a career compiler. I disagree with that but the case is still there nonetheless. But how can people overlook Jerry Lucas?

7 time all-star, 3 time All-American, 3 time NBA first teamer, 2 time NBA second teamer, all century SI college team selection as a starter, NBA 50th anniversary team selection and that's the 78th overall pick in the draft. If there's 77 other basketball players that had a better basketball career then Jerry Lucas I'd really like to meet them, but I think your going to have to travel at least 50 years into the future to see that.

Wow. Bob McAdoo still available in the seventh round? You can add him to the Colonels. Either I'm really overvaluing some of these guys, or my "these kids won't even think about guys like McAdoo and Wilkens" strategy is working way better than I thought it would. I'm curious to read pmoehrin's assessment of McAdoo. And no, I'm not goofing on pmoehrin, I really am interested to see what he has to say about McAdoo. B)

My lineup so far...

C - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Bob Lanier

PF - Elvin Hayes, Bob McAdoo

SF - John Havilcek

G - George Gervin

PG - Lenny Wilkens

BB52Big.jpg

McAdoo I view as the Gale Sayers of the NBA.

At his peak his one of if not the best center in the NBA. The only problem is that peak only lasts five years and beyond that you have nothing to go on.

McAdoo I had in the mid 100 range. Far better then somebody like Bill Walton, but what kills him is the shortness of his career and the fact that he's not the best one on one defender. Tremendous offense force, good rebounder and a good shot blocker, but you could post up on him. A good parallel from today's game for how he was on defense I'd say is Amare Stoudemire. McAdoo has better numbers but pretty much every big man from McAdoo's era has better numbers then the centers of today. I think McAdoo is a little better on the defensive end but that's the closest comparison I can draw.

It depends on how you look at players with regards to the draft for where McAdoo is. Under the three year stretch idea he's a borderline starter. Career wise he gets hammered.

I hate evaluating guys like McAdoo because he's one of those guys where the numbers and what you see don't match. A three time scoring champion that didn't reach 20,000 points. Also the fact that he was the only dominating player on a team that doesn't exist anymore I think only serves to romanticize his career and when that happens then you have to deal with people's emotions and nobody is going to take being told one of their all-time favorite players is overrated for reasons that have more to do with injuries and lack of service then his actual skill on the court.

I agreed with the decision to leave him off the 50th Anniversary team which alot of people were and are still are livid over. The one line of credit I'd give them is that he's better then more then one player on that list, so I can understand the argument in that light, but I wouldn't put him in the top 50. If I had to pick a guy that wasn't on that team that should have been I'll go with Artis Gilmore who was a dominating offensive and defensive force at his peak in addition to having a lengthy career and I think was left off the list and kept out of the Hall of Fame for so long solely because of the NBA's desire to discredit the ABA.

McAdoo I view as the Gale Sayers of the NBA.

At his peak was one of if not the best center in the NBA. The only problem is that peak only lasts five years and beyond that you have nothing to go on.

That's a fair assessment. (To save space, I didn't quote the entire thing.) But I would counter that McAdoo had some very good years outside his five best as well as a "second career" as a very good 6th man on those championship Lakers teams. Sandwiched between the modest early success of those Braves teams, and his time with the Lakers, was a span of playing on mostly bad teams. I can't hold that against him.

My opinion is his career would be seen in a much better light had he played on better teams or in a different era. The 70's were a low watermark in NBA basketball. The game wasn't terribly popular back then and I think that hurt the legacy of of quite a few players. (Remember, this was a time where the Finals were shown on tape delay.) Anyway, I think I got great value with him in round seven.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived