Is Nascar a Sport?

Notch Novelty

Is Nascar a Sport?  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, but try driving a car at a speed most people couldn't even fathom to hit in normal cars... And add to the fact that there are 42 others driving at the same speed, wanting only to get past you... And one false move could cause complete chaos in a place like Talladega... It's a sport alright... Anything that requires stamina, hand eye coordination, and competition is a sport, and NASCAR got all 3 of those...

Then again, I would say that it is a sport, I'm from the south :P

I voted yes...

It requires a tremendous amount of skill, nerves, endurance and instinct. IMO I find it boring, but that's not the argument. It's one thing to drive fast, yes, but that is not what NASCAR's all about.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

My thoughts on this topic are well-documented in this thread.

To summarize my argument, I feel the car does too much of the work and is too directly responsible for the results (as compared to the skill of the driver).

You mean the engineers and the pit crew do all the work.

I saw, I came, I left.

You don't need to be in any kind of shape to drive a car

You need to be fit enough to survive a crash. You need to be fit enough so that you won't have a heart attack every single time you have a near death experience (which happens every two minutes).

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

by admission, I'm not a fan but I do consider NASCAR a sport. the reasons...

you have around 30 guys in souped up cars racing...generally, i hear races of most kinds are considered sports.

the winner gets to hold a trophy and wear milk...usually done for some sort of athlete :grin:

racers can and have died, the most glaring recent example being the Intimidator, Dale Earnhardt :cry:

and finally, most people, myself included, couldn't do it at that level for one factor or another...the factor here being that almost none of us, unless we have a racer among us, could make a left turn going at 285-300 mph w/o crashing, burning and likely not living to tell about it.

that, IMO, is why NASCAR is a sport. you may now return to your regularly scheduled programming. B)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

My thoughts on this topic are well-documented in this thread.

To summarize my argument, I feel the car does too much of the work and is too directly responsible for the results (as compared to the skill of the driver).

As are mine, and I agree with UW.

On another note... it certainly does seem like this was designed to create conflict. Not the part in creating a poll, or asking this particular question, but creating this poll with this question and then pushing your position to the point of ridiculing the positions of others.

...and yes, you do need to be in shape to drive Nascar. It is physically demanding. It isn't a sport in my mind, but honestly, notoriousap, let people state their opinions, you state yours, and leave it at that.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Archived