Domestic Soccer 2012

TFoA

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/11/21/timbers-are-1st-mls-club-join-new-womens-pro-league

And now this will be the third attempt at professional women's soccer in this country. And probably the third to go belly-up.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

http://www.mlssoccer...mens-pro-league

And now this will be the third attempt at professional women's soccer in this country. And probably the third to go belly-up.

When will they accept that it just isn't time to do this yet? Soccer itself is still in it's adolescence in this country as a men's sport. It'll be a long time before a women's league can be successful, if ever.

I feel like if each team gets a player like Rapinoe, Wombach, Solo, or Baby Horse then they can have a player everyone who follows soccer knows and can build. On top of that, Portland, Seattle, and KC are getting teams. Cities that have a huge MLS following, as opposed to Rochester or Miami

http://www.mlssoccer...mens-pro-league

When will they accept that it just isn't time to do this yet? Soccer itself is still in it's adolescence in this country as a men's sport. It'll be a long time before a women's league can be successful, if ever.

The reasons behind the federations pushing it, though, are likely added development of their national team players.

6fQjS3M.png

I feel like if each team gets a player like Rapinoe, Wombach, Solo, or Baby Horse then they can have a player everyone who follows soccer knows and can build. On top of that, Portland, Seattle, and KC are getting teams. Cities that have a huge MLS following, as opposed to Rochester or Miami

That was the WPS' model however. Have one or two big names in good soccer cities. It didn't work.

That league fell under inept ownership, not because the product couldn't sell. Maybe it couldn't, but it wasn't around long enough to see.

The business model deserves a fair try.

Eh, it sure seemed like it couldn't sell by year three. Yes it was inept ownership (specifically MagicJack) that put the league under. But they weren't exactly tearing it up attendance wise in any of the markets. And worse for several teams the trend was down. No women's soccer for now is better with the more regionalized model that the WPSL and W-League use.

I knew VSI was doing a USL PRO team next season, but this news is definitely out of nowhere. Most encourging is the purported position and Vinik's maybe involvement. That would be huge as that guy's done nothing but great things for the Lightning and the community.

Side note, but did you all know he's still giving away $50k each "home game"? I thought for sure that program would be kaput with the lockout occuring but every game that was scheduled still has the donation, it's just presented out in the community rather than in the arena. Damn I hope he's involved.

Well, at least when the USL decides they want to force an NASL team out of business, they bring the big guns.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Here are some snippets from Commissioner Garber's State of the Union address:

• The 2013 MLS season will begin March 2nd; earliest start ever.
  • The playoff format will remain the same but the league will make a greater effort to allow for more days between matches.
  • DCU and New England Revolution still working to find a SSS solution.
  • Expansion: NYC still a possible 20th franchise addition by 2016. MLS is looking at putting a club in the Southeast; Miami or Atlanta are frontrunners).

• The playoff format will remain the same but the league will make a greater effort to allow for more days between matches.
  • Expansion: NYC still a possible 20th franchise addition by 2016. MLS is looking at putting a club in the Southeast; Miami or Atlanta are frontrunners).

I'd seriously rather they just put the Cosmos in as the 20th club and stay at 20 for a long time. I know this sounds weird but I am 100% happy & content with having a little NASL club here. Maybe Arthur Blank will somehow be able to lure a team here if he gets a new stadium built here & it'd be cool, but it's no problem if he doesn't. Totally fine with the Silverbacks, and I'm pretty sure there's a huge chunk of America that wants to see the Cosmos make the jump to MLS.

I'd seriously rather they just put the Cosmos in as the 20th club and stay at 20 for a long time. I know this sounds weird but I am 100% happy & content with having a little NASL club here. Maybe Arthur Blank will somehow be able to lure a team here if he gets a new stadium built here & it'd be cool, but it's no problem if he doesn't. Totally fine with the Silverbacks, and I'm pretty sure there's a huge chunk of America that wants to see the Cosmos make the jump to MLS.

Remember there's no guarantee it'll be the Cosmos. They're just one of the groups that have shown interest in owning MLS2 and they're not even the richest or most soccer connected either.

Don't know if everyone would consider it domestic, but San Diego's de facto team Club Tijuana just won their first leg game 2-1 over Toluca in the LIga MX final! Just need a tie or a W in the second leg and the championship is theirs. As it is they've already earned berths in both the Copa Libretores and CONCACAF Champions League...

Archived