Domestic Soccer 2012

TFoA

The Los Angeles Galaxy are your 2012 MLS Cup Champions besting the Houston Dynamo, 3-1.

First the Giants win the World Series, then the NHL locks out and now the Galaxy win the MLS Cup... this has turned out to be a really :censored:ty year.

Just the Giants winning it all makes my sports year :censored:ty too.

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Los Angeles Galaxy are your 2012 MLS Cup Champions besting the Houston Dynamo, 3-1.

First the Giants win the World Series, then the NHL locks out and now the Galaxy win the MLS Cup... this has turned out to be a really :censored:ty year.

Just the Giants winning it all makes my sports year :censored:ty too.

Good and.................Good.

Could Jax land a MLS team? The Mayor seems to think so.

Yes! I look forward to the day that the FC JAX Destroyers play in the MLS!! /sarcasm

Jacksonville has got to be on the shortlist of US cities that have a remote chance of landing an MLS club.

That is what they said about Jax getting an NFL team. Also, you know, Jax does have an attendance record or two with US soccer.

I have been informed that the Indiana Hoosiers have won the College Cup this season, which I am told is a biggish deal. It is their 8th overall, and they won as a national 16 seed. I will not claim to be a lifelong fan of the soccer Hoosiers (since that would be a lie) but still, well done. It is nice to see Indiana again triumph at the other sport they are really good at.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Hey, if it's your school, there's no rule saying you can't celebrate when they win a national championship, even if it's not a particular favorite sport of theirs. Enjoy it.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Could Jax land a MLS team? The Mayor seems to think so.

Yes! I look forward to the day that the FC JAX Destroyers play in the MLS!! /sarcasm

Jacksonville has got to be on the shortlist of US cities that have a remote chance of landing an MLS club.

That is what they said about Jax getting an NFL team. Also, you know, Jax does have an attendance record or two with US soccer.

Are you referring to the U.S. - Scotland friendly because that's the only USMNT match I can think of that played in Jacksonville?

Also, I assume if current trends hold with MLS plucking Tier 2 Clubs for expansion (excluding NYC #2), then FC JAX Destroyers better start building up their organization and fan base in order to warrant consideration from the League as a future club.

I am. Jax owned the record for the longest time when Germany came to town. Tampa got it for a little bit but then Jax crushed their record. Almost doubling it. I know you want to scoff at it without doing an ounce of research. You sound like NFL fans in the early 90's. Don't be so quick to dismiss. Soccer and Lacrosse is actually pretty big here.

The sport is growing. I just don't see Jacksonville as a top option immediately, but hey, down the road when the league is expanding I'd be all for it.

The Mayor agrees with you. He said 2025 can be a reality.

OT: Wow, 2025. That is a futuristic looking year. Know what I mean?

I am. Jax owned the record for the longest time when Germany came to town. Tampa got it for a little bit but then Jax crushed their record. Almost doubling it. I know you want to scoff at it without doing an ounce of research. You sound like NFL fans in the early 90's. Don't be so quick to dismiss. Soccer and Lacrosse is actually pretty big here.

I'm confused by your statements. Are you referring to the USMNT - Germany match from 1999 that drew a crowd of 17,259? I'm not sure how that qualifies as a "record"?

I'm confused by your statements. Are you referring to the USMNT - Germany match from 1999 that drew a crowd of 17,259? I'm not sure how that qualifies as a "record"?

First, one thing i messed up. It wasn't Tampa's record they doubled, it was their old record.

Anyway, Germany was the friendly record in Florida at the time. Tampa over took it in 2005 with over 31k. Jax took it back with 45k this year.

Edit: FC Jax Destroyers is a badass name. It screams a battleship logo.

Also: One-off games do not translate into continued success.

I am telling you, soccer is bigger here than you want to give credit for. Also, it is more than one game.

I'm just saying that using scattered US Soccer attendance figures as proof of longer-term success of a team is missing a bit of logic. I'm not saying that Jacksonville has no chance of supporting a team; I just don't think your evidence fully proves that it would.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Also: One-off games do not translate into continued success.

I am telling you, soccer is bigger here than you want to give credit for. Also, it is more than one game.

I'm just saying that using scattered US Soccer attendance figures as proof of longer-term success of a team is missing a bit of logic. I'm not saying that Jacksonville has no chance of supporting a team; I just don't think your evidence fully proves that it would.

No but if you are going to go in to Florida you have to at least look at the state's record holder. Especially of they are showing signs of soccer excitement.

I mean, it is something. Mindless is talking like it is absurd. What the hell does he know about the Jax soccer market? So let me show him why some people see potential.

If Jacksonville wants to be strongly considered for an MLS franchise, then their market needs to show that it can continuously support their local club, have a successful management group which can turn FC Jax Destroyers into a dominant force on the pitch (they are currently in the 4th Tier of the American Soccer Pyramid), and have the financial backing to warrant inclusion into the League.

Additionally, their slim chances of success are boosted if Orlando City Soccer Club somehow fails to gain entry into MLS (which I don't see happening).

Archived