Domestic Soccer 2012

TFoA

I should feel better about the Whitecaps making the playoffs, but the way they slumped in for the last few months does not make for optimism. Big improvement from last year, but the jury is definitely out on the injection of old Scottish DP's.

I'll be shocked if we beat the Galaxy, but I'd be happy with not getting shellacked.

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The conference finals are two legs now? Finally.

Weird to see that the final will be on December 1.

I'm with you regarding the Conference Finals, but it's unfortunate and disappointing that the Final occurs 13 (!) days later. I'm sure as hell not thinking about soccer (football) at that point of the year; however, I would like the final to be played in snowy conditions so it sends a clear message to the League office not to have the last, and prestigious, match of the season this late in the year.

The two-week break between the conference finals and the final is important, though, especially since it's no longer a neutral site. It gives the home team a chance to sell tickets, and--of lesser importance--away supporters a chance to make travel arrangements.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Is there any particular reason they made the championship a non neutral site? On paper, it seemed like a good idea, but was it a ticket thing?

One reason that the League has done away with a neutral site championship is to reward the regular season champion. However, if the team with the best record is eliminated, then the higher seed remaining would host the final. This enables the home club to expand it's current fan base by generating interest in the club and growing the sport within its surrounding area.

The move to a non-neutral site was necessitated by the fact that the League relied heavily on hosting the final at The Home Depot Center, Pizza Hut Park, or RFK Stadium that a change was desperately needed. It doesn't make sense for all those new venues to not have an opportunity to host.

However, I assume that this non-neutral site model will fall out of favor in a few years, especially if the same clubs continue to host the event.

Ideally, I would like to see the League spread the wealth around by following a simple seasonal formula: Rewarding the All-Star Game to one Conference and the MLS Cup to the other Conference. From there, clubs who have never hosted before, will have an opportunity to be the first ones to host the event.

Is there any particular reason they made the championship a non neutral site? On paper, it seemed like a good idea, but was it a ticket thing?

In part it was a ticket thing. They were having trouble filling MLS games at the neutral sites when no local team was involved. The other part was to reward the better team in the game. Hopefully they stick with this model as it makes far more sense than the neutral site which really hadn't been working all that well.

In part it was a ticket thing. They were having trouble filling MLS games at the neutral sites when no local team was involved.

This. I was at the 2008 MLS Cup Final in LA; they announced a sellout, but it was obvious that many tickets went unused. I hear 2010 in Toronto was quite similar, especially given the weather.

I actually think this will work well for MLS. Unfortunately, it's going to cut out the Supporter Summit activities surrounding the weekend.

POTD 2013-08-22

IF YOU LOVE THE ROWDIES, STAND UP!!!!

One of the best times I've had at a sporting event. It was no Stanley Cup, but seeing your hometown team win live is always a great experience. There's certainly something to be said for cozy little stadiums that get packed full.

Has there been a thumbs-up/thumbs-down decision yet on the Stars returning for 2013? I thought they were supposed to have that decision made by gametime Saturday night, but I've not heard anything about it.

As for the combined "Tournament of the Americas" in 2016, I love that idea. Not only should it be a permanent event, they should give its champion the at-large World Cup berth that currently is decided by a playoff between CONCACAF 3rd and CONMEBOL 4th. (Qualifying for each confederation's other spots would, of course, go on as usual.)

CCSLC signature.png

Has there been a thumbs-up/thumbs-down decision yet on the Stars returning for 2013? I thought they were supposed to have that decision made by gametime Saturday night, but I've not heard anything about it.

They didn't have a vote; supposedly, an ownership deal is in the works.

POTD 2013-08-22

I see Landon Donovan has been taking some lessons from the Canucks. I can't believe that dive drew a penalty.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I see Landon Donovan has been taking some lessons from the Canucks. I can't believe that dive drew a penalty.

It was the correct call. As a defender you cant stick your arm out that far from your body in your own area and expect not to be called for it. Donovan had a step on Bonjour and the defender knew it.

1zqy8ok.gif

Unfortunately, Twitter is just this side of "I heard it from my cousin's wife's sister's friend's ex-wife, who used to work for the team." Just ask the NYSE.

I'll be glad when there's an official press release.

Rejoice!

It's the Galaxy. Of course it drew a penalty. The League will do whatever they can to ensure the Galaxy end up in the later stages.

Then again, is that ultimately best for the state of soccer in this country? Aren't more people much more likely to watch Donovan, Beckham, and Keane LLC than Darren Mattocks and Co.?

/Glad to see the Stars coming back and finding ownership. The growth of soccer in this country may very well be dependent on how well the overall pyramid is able to survive. We're gonna need to be able to have kids all around that are able to go see a quality product in their own backyard to keep growing the sport.

6fQjS3M.png

Archived