Domestic Soccer 2012

TFoA

I wont be shocked and it will be a disaster for USA soccer, and Fox and their World Cup TV in 2014. Heads will be rolling like soccer balls for sure. BTW look waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back to the start of the thread I said the USA wont qualify for the 2014 World Cup.

Ah, where to begin... let's just start with "Fox and their World Cup TV". Um, what? I'm pretty sure ESPN has the US rights for WC2014.

My misunderstanding Fox gets the Cup in 2018, thought the contract began in 2014 so it will be a disaster for ESPN.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wont be shocked and it will be a disaster for USA soccer, and Fox and their World Cup TV in 2014. Heads will be rolling like soccer balls for sure. BTW look waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back to the start of the thread I said the USA wont qualify for the 2014 World Cup.

Ah, where to begin... let's just start with "Fox and their World Cup TV". Um, what? I'm pretty sure ESPN has the US rights for WC2014.

My misunderstanding Fox gets the Cup in 2018, thought the contract began in 2014 so it will be a disaster for ESPN.

First off, I'd be shocked if USA doesn't qualify. They still won all their home matches and looked great on Tuesday. I think the team is getting used to playing together under Klinsmann and he's finally getting together his regulars that he wants out there. They've also been battling injuries to some pretty significant players throughout this round of qualifying.

Second, I don't think ESPN will really be effected too much if somehow we didn't qualify. They televise the European Championship and do just fine with that. There are also so many people in the US that either like a different national team more or the same as the United States that people will still watch.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Even after this "lackluster" semifinal round, if the USMNT doesn't get into the WC via one of the 3 automatic bids I'll be absolutely dumbfounded. Seriously, there would have to be an absolute soccer catastrophe for the US to not qualify via top 3, much less the playoff round.

Even after this "lackluster" semifinal round, if the USMNT doesn't get into the WC via one of the 3 automatic bids I'll be absolutely dumbfounded. Seriously, there would have to be an absolute soccer catastrophe for the US to not qualify via top 3, much less the playoff round.

Indeed. As "lackluster" as we were, we still won the group. I was slow to warm up to Klinsmann but I really like him now.

If they can play in the hex the way they did in this last game, they should easily be through. This is CONCACAF, though; much as everyone likes to malign it, the away trips are tough: Mexico City, San Jose (though it's not Saprissa anymore), San Pedro Sula, Panama City... oh, and Kingston, which sounds fantastic compared to the rest.

Also, in case anyone is curious, Grant Wahl reports the schedule's supposed to be devised tomorrow by a meeting of the federation presidents. If it can't be arranged, FIFA will conduct a draw.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

If they can play in the hex the way they did in this last game, they should easily be through. This is CONCACAF, though; much as everyone likes to malign it, the away trips are tough: Mexico City, San Jose (though it's not Saprissa anymore), San Pedro Sula, Panama City... oh, and Kingston, which sounds fantastic compared to the rest.

Also, in case anyone is curious, Grant Wahl reports the schedule's supposed to be devised tomorrow by a meeting of the federation presidents. If it can't be arranged, FIFA will conduct a draw.

Have the sites been selected?

I suppose not officially. I'm presuming those sites based on previous history.

As for home sites... not a clue. They're not always determined at the beginning of the hex. I could see KC becoming a regular stop, maybe even for the Mexico game.

POTD 2013-08-22

MLS discussing with NASL the possibility of sharing players.

I know the article is not directly talking about promotion and relegation, but still one must wonder: Promotion and Relegation in the foreseeable future?

More likely MLB style affliation deals or MLS placing reserve league level teams in the NASL or USL. Promotion/Relegation won't happen for a long time as it totally undermines MLS's current expansion fee system.

I see another impediment to promotion and relegation: all those SSS.

MLS (very wisely) got cities all across the country to pony up scarce resources so the clubs can have their own stadiums. The fact that it was for top-flight soccer had to have factored into it from the cities' perspectives, and I imagine there would be significant pushback if the cities found out that they might end up spending all that cash on a second- or third-division club.

Alright Tank. I'll pay you $100 if the US misses the World Cup and you can pay me $100 if the US finishes in first place. Otherwise, bet's off. Deal?

6fQjS3M.png

First leg of the NASL Championship Series was tonight: Minnesota 2-0 Tampa Bay

Second leg is next Saturday in St. Petersburg.

POTD 2013-08-22

It's funny you say that, Costa Rica is actually trying to make sure that their home match against the US is still played at Saprissa. I honestly don't blame them, that place is an absolute snakepit for the U.S.

Hey all

I wanted to share with you a new soccer-based charity that I've become involved in. It's called Hooligans for Heroes, and it works directly with the US Army's Wounded Warrior Project to aid wounded veterans and their families.

Here's the backstory:

Hooligans for Heroes, founded in 2012, is a grass-roots movement that works in conjunction with the widely recognized Wounded Warrior Project to help bring aid & awareness to American heroes, on and off the field. By harnessing the fervor and passion of soccer supporter culture, Hooligans for Heroes allows its members to show their love and support for our service men and women through fundraisers and community outreach programs.

Stemming from the Northern Guard Supporters of the Detroit City Football Club, we look to gain support for this cause no matter whose colors are on your scarf and who you chant for on gameday. We feel that as US Citizens, we're all united under the banner of a type support that reaches beyond our sporting events.

In mid 2012 tragedy struck the platoon of Chris Monroe, a Northern Guard Supporter currently serving our country in Afghanistan. When Chris relayed back home the news of his injured fellow servicemen Sgt Jordan Sisco and Spc Jason Smith, Gene Butcher, Ken Butcher and Drew Gentry (founders of NGS) saw that the frontlines can stretch all the way back home. More importantly, they realized that there was a perfect opportunity to aid our brothers and sisters overseas. With the founding of Hooligans for Heroes, a new supporters section is rising in our cities and towns across the country. Partnering with groups from across from leagues nationwide, 100% of the donations to the cause go directly to the Wounded Warrior Project.

The time has come to be more than a fan…support America’s finest…on and off the pitch. Every bit helps.

Please take a moment, if you would, to go over to http://HforH.bigcartel.com and check it out.

Also, checkout their facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/#!/HooligansForHeroesDetroit

Thanks

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

Y'all keep your hands off of Manny! :P

Seriously, should the Stars finish the job again, I wonder if Manny Lagos will at least get consideration from an MLS club.

POTD 2013-08-22

Y'all keep your hands off of Manny! :P

Seriously, should the Stars finish the job again, I wonder if Manny Lagos will at least get consideration from an MLS club.

He'll have to. I mean, it worked for Martin Rennie and he didn't even win the NASL Championship (got a regular season title, but still). Lagos will have 2 NASL 'ships to his name, so that's gotta be worth something to anybody who'll be looking for a manager this winter.

Both Stars goals were shocking in their own ways. The first was a sudden cannon shot that the Rowdies goalie likely had no chance to stop. The second one came on a corner right at the tail end of stoppage time. Talk about a swift kick to the seeds...

With a two-goal lead going into the Tampa leg, I wonder, do the Stars just sit back and grind down the last 90 like they did last year in Ft. Lauderdale, or go for an early killshot?

CCSLC signature.png

Archived