Domestic Soccer 2012

TFoA

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Earthquakes had the groundbreaking for their new stadium today. Yay!

Good for them. Are they still playing their playoff games in San Jose or are they looking at going to Oakland?

All playoff games will be at Buck Shaw. If they reach the MLS Cup, Commissioner Garber wants them to play it at a larger facility. Stanford Stadium or Spartan Stadium come to mind. Oakland sounds intriguing as well.

With a two-goal lead going into the Tampa leg, I wonder, do the Stars just sit back and grind down the last 90 like they did last year in Ft. Lauderdale, or go for an early killshot?

I hope they come out and play. They were very successful doing that at home, I don't see why they can't go down and play at least an even game in the second leg. I don't like their odds if they decide to try and bunker early.

Game highlights:

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I wont be shocked and it will be a disaster for USA soccer, and Fox and their World Cup TV in 2014. Heads will be rolling like soccer balls for sure. BTW look waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back to the start of the thread I said the USA wont qualify for the 2014 World Cup.

Alright Tank. I'll pay you $100 if the US misses the World Cup and you can pay me $100 if the US finishes in first place. Otherwise, bet's off. Deal?

I dont want to root against the USA Soccer team it is a gut feeling I have had for a year and I hope I am wrong, but I have seen them play and I dont think they look sharp with this coach.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I wont be shocked and it will be a disaster for USA soccer, and Fox and their World Cup TV in 2014. Heads will be rolling like soccer balls for sure. BTW look waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back to the start of the thread I said the USA wont qualify for the 2014 World Cup.

Alright Tank. I'll pay you $100 if the US misses the World Cup and you can pay me $100 if the US finishes in first place. Otherwise, bet's off. Deal?

I dont want to root against the USA Soccer team it is a gut feeling I have had for a year and I hope I am wrong, but I have seen them play and I dont think they look sharp with this coach.

crash, are you talking about the USA finishing in first place in the hex; or winning the whole shebang in 2014?

Earthquakes had the groundbreaking for their new stadium today. Yay!

Good for them. Are they still playing their playoff games in San Jose or are they looking at going to Oakland?

All playoff games will be at Buck Shaw. If they reach the MLS Cup, Commissioner Garber wants them to play it at a larger facility. Stanford Stadium or Spartan Stadium come to mind. Oakland sounds intriguing as well.

Oakland is not available since the Raiders have a game that weekend as well. Stanford may not be available for them to pick by the decision deadline (Nov 1) since they haven't been eliminated from playing in the Pac-12 title game yet. AT&T Park has been dismissed by team management due to it being the Quakes only home loss this season, it having terrible sight lines for soccer, and being 50 miles from San Jose (to say nothing of Lew Wolff's ongoing feud with Giants management). And Candlestick Park has similarly been discounted due to distant location and poor field condition that late in the year. That leaves only Buck Shaw Stadium and Spartan Stadium. Buck Shaw's drawback is size of course, but the Quakes would probably push hard for it if they make it that far because they've been undefeated at BS this year. Spartan is larger, but still has the sub-FIFA standard narrow field it always had and would have to have real grass overlaid on the artificial football turf they installed a couple of years ago which could bring the field quality into question. All of this assumes of course the Quakes make it to the Cup.

I'll be at the second leg of the NASL finals, quite a hole for the Rowdies to dig out of though. :(

I had no idea Manny Lagos was the coach of Minnesota. Pretty sure I saw him play back in the Mutiny days. Or I'm recalling a similar name.

I doubt they'd bring in grass for an MLS game; there have been no issues playing on turf.

Have you seen a game played at CenturyLink?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I'll be at the second leg of the NASL finals, quite a hole for the Rowdies to dig out of though. :(

I had no idea Manny Lagos was the coach of Minnesota. Pretty sure I saw him play back in the Mutiny days. Or I'm recalling a similar name.

Same guy. He was with the Minnesota Thunder before his MLS and USMNT days. After he retired from playing, he came back home and got involved in the front office of the Thunder. When they folded, he was hired as the Stars' coach.

I doubt they'd bring in grass for an MLS game; there have been no issues playing on turf.

Have you seen a game played at CenturyLink?

I'm not sure what you're going for, but it's further proof that MLS plays a lot of games on turf (for better or worse).

POTD 2013-08-22

crash, are you talking about the USA finishing in first place in the hex; or winning the whole shebang in 2014?

In the hexagonal round, that is.

6fQjS3M.png

Same guy. He was with the Minnesota Thunder before his MLS and USMNT days. After he retired from playing, he came back home and got involved in the front office of the Thunder. When they folded, he was hired as the Stars' coach.

Awesome. It's getting fewer and further between to see old Mutiny names pop up. My jaw almost hit the floor when I saw Adin Brown on Portland's roster last season. Especially since I own the keeper kit he wore in the last ever Mutiny game. B)

I wonder what good old Mamadou Diallo is up to...

Mockba, you making the trip to St. Pete for the second leg on Saturday?

At Spartan they'd have to. Spartan doesn't have those removable lines like Gillette, BC Place, and Centurylink. Nor was it designed with soccer as a primary consideration so the field would have to be leveled while being overlaid. And that's assuming they can even work with SJSU (the Quakes current owners and SJSU didn't part on the best of terms back in 2007).

Mockba, you making the trip to St. Pete for the second leg on Saturday?

Yup. At this point, I'm counting fourteen of us coming down. No way I'm missing it.

POTD 2013-08-22

Personally, I don't really want to see CONCACAF and CONMEBOL merge.

That's never going to happen. There's a difference between combining tournaments and merging the confederations.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived