Domestic Soccer 2012

TFoA

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rowdies came into the 2nd leg down 2-0. They took a 2-0 lead, only to have Minnesota score. Needing a goal, The Rowdies scored in the 86th to tie the aggregate 3-3.

30 minutes of Extra Time, then PKs. Both scored the first, The Rowdies made the next two, while Minneosta was blocked their next two. Then a Rowdies miss, and a Minne goal set up Tampa's GK to save the shot and win the Soccer Bowl.

Hell of a game.

Wow! That would have been an amazing match to see in person let alone on the TV. Congratulations Tampa Bay!

In MLS news, the Eastern Conference seeding is all set. It will be:

Play-in Match:

#4 Chicago Fire versus #5 Houston Dynamo

#1 Sporting Kansas City versus Chicago/Houston winner

#2 D.C. United versus Red Bull New York

On the other hand, the Western Conference seeding will be settled later this afternoon. The only locks are: #1 San Jose Earthquakes, #4 Los Angeles Galaxy, and #5 Vancouver Whitecaps (the first Canadian club to make it to the playoffs). Currently, Real Salt Lake holds a one point lead over Seattle Sounders FC for the #2 seed, however, the Sounders have a match tonight against the Galaxy and need all three points in order to wrestle away the #2 seed from RSL.

Good on you, Tampa Bay. Congrats!

I really hope that isn't the last game Minnesota plays. Really want to face them in the league next year.

You jumping on the new Cosmos bandwagon? Cool.

As for last night: My throat is sore, I have no voice, I'm exhausted, and I have a 6:30am flight home from Tampa tomorrow. I'm still disappointed about the outcome, no doubt, but the Stars gave everything they had--which is all we could ask--and the players still invited us to commiserate with them at a bar after the game. The last two years have been a wild, crazy ride, and even with last night's loss, I'm not sure I'd change a thing about it. The fan experience this team affords us has to be one of the most uniquely-interactive situations in any league.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

If you go watch one of your favorite teams play and you have screamed yourself hoarse by the end, then you did your part and you did it well. Pity the outcome didn't go your way but someone has to lose.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Wow. That sounds like an amazing experience.

You jumping on the new Cosmos bandwagon? Cool.

Jumping on? I never left. Been waiting for the Cosmos to come back since MLS was founded.

It's a new organization and a new team, so it's a new bandwagon. Glad to see it, though.

POTD 2013-08-22

New team, but not actually a new organization (no matter what the geniuses at Wikipedia would like you to believe).

The Cosmos stopped fielding a team when the league broke up, but moved into youth soccer camps. Same organization - the team's GM continued to run the company. Those camps were still going until he sold the organization to Paul Kemsley lock, stock & trophies.

I'll grant you a new bandwagon, though. ;)

Along the first base line, on the grass berm. If you were at the game, there's no way you didn't see us over there with our drum. We also had a group from Orlando with us, as Jamie Watson has been on loan from Orlando for the last couple months since the USLPro season ended.

POTD 2013-08-22

Yeah, I only was able to watch extra time and PKs on the stream, and I wasn't sure exactly where your group was. But it's funny you say that about Orlando, there was a fan or two with OCSC stuff on both games I went to this season.

Via Philly Union's website

The Union will hold preseason training in at the Dewey O. Boster Sports Complex in Deltona, Fla. (Feb. 9-23) and will participate along with four other MLS clubs in the Walt Disney Pro Soccer Classic at Disney’s Wide World of Sports in Orlando. Fan packages are currently being prepared for supporters to head down Presidents Day weekend (Feb. 15-18) to check out training and see the club play in a Feb. 16 match against a team to be determined. In all, the Union will play four matches in the tournament (Feb. 9, Feb. 13, Feb. 16, Feb. 23), while training in Central Florida.

D.C. United and Sporting Kansas City have already announced plans to be involved in the showcase and philadelphiaunion.com have heard that Toronto FC is the fourth MLS club. In addition, the Tampa Bay Rowdies of the revamped NASL and the USL’s Orlando City franchise have also agreed to take part.

Very cool. I would love to see, like Ft. Lauderdale, or even the Cosmos make the trip too.

It'd be fun (so, therefore, not likely) if the "four pro champions" (USLPro, NASL, MLS, US Open Cup) would have a small pre-season tournament, in the vein of the Carolina Challenge Cup and such.

POTD 2013-08-22

Along the first base line, on the grass berm. If you were at the game, there's no way you didn't see us over there with our drum. We also had a group from Orlando with us, as Jamie Watson has been on loan from Orlando for the last couple months since the USLPro season ended.

JAMIE WATSON!?!?!? I have an official Jamie Watson autographed soccer ball...he kicked it at me during an RSL game...not to brag, but it's prolly worth a bunch of monies.

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

Not really. :D

There's a whole story about why we've sang "you dive like Jamie Watson" since the Thunder beat RSL in the Open Cup in 2005. Have to say, we've learned that the guy is class, and has a seriously-good sense of humor.

POTD 2013-08-22

Archived