Domestic Soccer 2012

TFoA

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So three years in the NASL and MLS will be ready for the Cosmos.

Sounds good to me. :D

Not necessarily. The Cosmos owners are only one of a couple of possible MLS NYC2 ownership groups. If they don't win the bid, the second MLS team in NY won't be the Cosmos. More likely it would end up either City FC or Empire FC (the original name for the MetroStars/Red Bulls before Nike got involved with naming the innagural MLS teams).

I don't see that. MLS knows the value of the brand (Garber has openly wished that they bought it back in '96). If Seamus O'Brien's group isn't the one to secure the stadium deal, I fully expect the Cosmos to be sold to whomever is.

Sure, MLS is covering all its bases. But to add a New York team, and not make them the Cosmos, would be a collosal mis-step. I'm talking NHL territory here.

Yeah, MLS has taken so many correct steps in recent expansion that I can't see them screwing up the New York team by naming them anything other than the Cosmos. I could ask my dad or anyone else that age with little or no interest in soccer and they know who the Cosmos are.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

So three years in the NASL and MLS will be ready for the Cosmos.

Sounds good to me. :D

I'd finally have a team to cheer for in domestic football.

No, :censored: the Revolution and their :censored:ty logo and their :censored:ty uniforms.

spacer.png

Yeah, MLS has taken so many correct steps in recent expansion that I can't see them screwing up the New York team by naming them anything other than the Cosmos. I could ask my dad or anyone else that age with little or no interest in soccer and they know who the Cosmos are.

Maybe, but remember it's not people your dad's age driving MLS's biggest markets these days. It's men in the 18-30 age range that are driving the league's interest these days.

And it's men 18-30 who bought all that Cosmos gear. Even better, it's kids younger than that, based on what I've seen on Brooklyn soccer fields.

But the Cosmos have already done wonders to advance the city's soccer culture, including taking over the adults amateur tournament. Trust me, lots of those guys are within the 18-30 demographic.

MLS is no longer run by idiots.

Jesus, USA is tied 1-1 at half to Antigua and Barbuda. If they can't win this one, then something is really wrong with the team.

Even if we can win this I'm getting the feeling something is wrong with this team. It's not like this is the first time this has happened.

EDDIE JOHNSON IS A GROWN ASS MAN.

That said... meh.

Yeah, barely beating A & B in the 90th minute won't exactly excite people. It just seems like we should easily be dominating, but are struggling against the lesser teams in CONCACAF. Still, though hopefully we'll beatt Guatemala to close out the round on a high note.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

I wasn't able to watch the game, but looking at the twitter feed was not fun at all. Maybe when the next call-ups come around Jozy Altidore who has been tearing it up will actually be on the squad.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Someone explain to me why the Americans struggled with Antigua and Barbuda? This country's team has be, at best, within the 200-250 range in terms of FIFA Rankings.

If you want to be good, you have to be able to put your proverbial foot on their proverbial throat until they give up.

Well, there are only 209 member associations, so that's a rather tough range to hit. ;)

Antigua and Barbuda are 106 in the October 2012 rankings, 13th in CONCACAF. For comparison, the US is 32 and 2, respectively.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Guatemala just beat Jamaica 2-1.

With USA and Guatemala tied on points and goal differential going into their last match against each other, whoever wins goes through, or if the game is a draw, both teams go through.

Jamaica has 7 points and a goal differential of 0, but play Antigua and Barbuda at home. Jamaica is eliminated with a loss or a tie and not only has to win, but has to make up the goal differential, which they are down by 3 right now, to USA and Guatemala.

I'd like to see Jamaica find a way to get through to the next round.

So, uh, Cuba only had 11 men in their line up against Canada. They brought 16 to the country, so...

I really feel sorry for their coach. That is a really :censored:ty situation to be in. He probably had to scramble to figure out how to best play the players he had left, since I'm guessing the defectors didn't have leaving their coach with a viable tactical situation on their minds. Plus, no coach likes coaching with no subs available.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived