I need a hockey team to cheer for

BRM_PTX

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright who has the dirtiest players?

The Charlestown Chiefs.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Plus, the new rumor from various local radio stations is that Shea Weber and Ryan Suter want to stay because they believe that we can bring home a Stanley Cup.

Detroit needs defensemen and they're going to have millions in cap space. You're losing one or both. Sorry, dude.

And the Predators don't have enough elite talent to contend. I don't think they ever will. All they can do is run their crappy little trap and bring teams down to their level. The problem is that in the post-lockout NHL, eventually, elite talent prevails over system. As well it should.

Alright who has the dirtiest players?

Blues, Canucks

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Blackhawks if you're cool.

Serious team, I'd say go with the Oilers. Gonna be something big in a few years. All those first overall picks will probably help. Nuge-Hop is a baller. Possibly my favorite jerseys in the league.

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

I was in the same boat (except I was actually a Thrashers fan), so I'm going through the same deal. I'm following the local ECHL team here, but I still need my NHL fix & I prefer to have a rooting interest, so I'm looking for a team. After a while, I whittled it down to 6 "finalists":

Jets: Already familiar with the players, ownership gives a rip, one of the best atmospheres in the NHL, decent uniforms. However, you can put a whole bunch of lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig. As much as I loved that team when they were in Atlanta, they're still the Thrashers. They'll give you hope from October to December, then piss you off from January to April. Things haven't changed, yet. If you're willing to deal with that for the next couple of years (IMO), then this is the team for you.

Oilers: Young yet wildly talented core, they should be contending for some more Cups in the future if all goes well. Plus, they're entertaining. Their uniforms are great, the fans are awesome, & they've got their own TV show following them (Oil Change on the NHLN. Really good show.). The only reason why I didn't choose em was because they were on the West Coast & they play their games when it's time for me to get my sleep in. But if that's not an issue for you, you wouldn't go wrong with this pick.

Predators: They're basically Atlanta's team now according to the TV Maps along with the Canes, & of the two, they're easily the one that's more well-run. Ever since the Balsillie-Hamilton Scare, they've really shaped things up there & while they may have basically no type of talent on their forward lines, they've got one of the best defensive pairings in the league (Weber & Suter), they've got one of the best goalies in the league (Rinne), they've got a supervillain for a coach (Trotz, who's been there since Day 1 of that franchise), & the city's basically fallen in love with them. They've also got some of the most unique uniforms in the league with their gold home jerseys. The only downside, IMO, is that they're a bit boring to watch at times (which would obviously be the case when your best players are your defensemen and goalies) & I've got my doubts that they'll ever in a Cup with the system that they're using right now...but if you want a stable, if not spectacular team, then the Preds are the choice.

Flyers: Best uniforms in the league, IMO. TONS of history for a non-Original 6 club, a perennial winner (outside of their rebuilding project immediately after the lockout), rabid fanbase (the idiots give the rest of the fans in the city a bad name, but that goes for every city), entertaining brand of hockey with personalities everywhere (though they were helped in that regard thanks to the HBO 24/7 series). If you want a team with plenty tradtion that's keeping it going in the present day, then this squad would be a good one to pick.

Of course, this is all your decision & you could basically pick ANY team you want now. I'm just trying to help you out since I'm going through a similar phase myself. Ultimately, the team will sorta-kinda choose you, instead of the you picking the team. Just a preference of what you like ina team and if you're willing to deal with the negatives of the team that you choose to follow.

I'm really leaning towards the Predators (apparently their fans actually care which if I understand correctly is unusual for a team based in the south). I really dig their gold jerseys and it seems like it'd be fun to follow a franchise that really hasn't achieved that much. On the other hand it'd be nice to cheer for a team that actually has won something. I'm really torn between which one matters most to me.

Then I told that teacher lady the only three letters I need to know are U, S, and A.

That's all well and good, but Predators games are like anti-hockey. You don't actually want to watch them, unless watching them clog up the neutral zone for 59 of 60 minutes is your concept of an evening well spent. And their "great fan support" is being a bit overblown here: their TV ratings still suck relative to real hockey towns, and their attendance figures are highly deceptive because it's widely known that they paper the house like a birdcage. They have a rabid core of diehards who chant "YOU SUCK" a lot at games, but that's more or less everybody. All in all, the whole team's kind of a cyst on the ass of the sport, when you stop and think.

I forgot about the Oilers! Probably because they seemingly haven't won a game since Thanksgiving (US version)! That would be another buy-low scenario, just like Long Island. Jordan Eberle, RNH, and Taylor Hall are going to terrorize the league. As soon as they get some legitimate defensemen, they'll be ready to roll. Best yet, their perennially terrific ice enables them to play the sort of run-and-gn game that's actually fun to watch.

I'd say Islanders or Oilers. The Flyers fanbase is something that even I yearn to be part of sometimes, so that's another good one. Forget I said the Blackhawks. Those guys blow now. Better ask me again in 15 minutes.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'd say the Kings, but 50+ of their games would start at 10-10:30PM EST.

Or you can deal with it and watch an amazing goalie with awesome defense. However if you're not a fan of the shootout, or 2-1 games, I would choose another team.

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

That's all well and good, but Predators games are like anti-hockey. You don't actually want to watch them, unless watching them clog up the neutral zone for 59 of 60 minutes is your concept of an evening well spent. And their "great fan support" is being a bit overblown here: their TV ratings still suck relative to real hockey towns, and their attendance figures are highly deceptive because it's widely known that they paper the house like a birdcage. They have a rabid core of diehards who chant "YOU SUCK" a lot at games, but that's more or less everybody. All in all, the whole team's kind of a cyst on the ass of the sport, when you stop and think.

I forgot about the Oilers! Probably because they seemingly haven't won a game since Thanksgiving (US version)! That would be another buy-low scenario, just like Long Island. Jordan Eberle, RNH, and Taylor Hall are going to terrorize the league. As soon as they get some legitimate defensemen, they'll be ready to roll. Best yet, their perennially terrific ice enables them to play the sort of run-and-gn game that's actually fun to watch.

I'd say Islanders or Oilers. The Flyers fanbase is something that even I yearn to be part of sometimes, so that's another good one. Forget I said the Blackhawks. Those guys blow now. Better ask me again in 15 minutes.

Yeah, it's important I pick a team that has no chance of relocating. I don't think I could handle my beloved Braves/Falcons relocating and whoever my hockey team is would be the same.

Then I told that teacher lady the only three letters I need to know are U, S, and A.

Each time I've gone to Nashville, it's been filled to nearly 100% capacity, and my last two trips there were weeknight games....

Who is your team?

I'm going to tell you something that will actually hurt the pride of a lot of the people who have replied, but don't listen to them. Why? Because, you NEVER find a team to root for by asking anyone, the team finds you. You find a team to root for because. Because they are local, because you think there's a cool player or you like their uniforms, but asking someone to tell you who to root for is asking for something you don't want. If you want a team to root for then watch as many games as you can and the team you find yourself watching more and more is that team. If I wasn't a Kings fan, then I'd probably either be a Montreal or Detroit fan because I love their uniforms, I love their history and I find myself watching those two teams a lot. I never appreciated those two teams until I saw them play live and saw the passion of their fans and saw the talent level and skating of the Red Wings. I'm a Kings fan because they were the hockey team in SoCal when I started watching hockey.

I'm going to tell you something that will actually hurt the pride of a lot of the people who have replied, but don't listen to them. Why? Because, you NEVER find a team to root for by asking anyone, the team finds you. You find a team to root for because. Because they are local, because you think there's a cool player or you like their uniforms, but asking someone to tell you who to root for is asking for something you don't want. If you want a team to root for then watch as many games as you can and the team you find yourself watching more and more is that team. If I wasn't a Kings fan, then I'd probably either be a Montreal or Detroit fan because I love their uniforms, I love their history and I find myself watching those two teams a lot. I never appreciated those two teams until I saw them play live and saw the passion of their fans and saw the talent level and skating of the Red Wings. I'm a Kings fan because they were the hockey team in SoCal when I started watching hockey.

I don't know if this is POTD-worthy, but well said, sir.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived