2012 MLB Season

GriffinM6

Thoughts:

- So this is what it feels like to see one of your teams win a playoff game. The last time one of my teams won a playoff game it was the Reds in 1995 and I was 8. This Feels incredible.

- I was in full-on panic mode when Cueto left the game. I had flashbacks to Carson Palmer in 2005, but I guess I forgot how this team responded to losing its best player in July. They're a mentally tough bunch. Sam Lecure has been solid all season. I wanted Matt Latos to start game 1 anyway and it looks like Cueto will be fine to go in game 3.

- Latos was great. That's not easy to be mentally prepped to take the ball in game 3 and then all of sudden rush to put on your jersey and you're pitching in game 1 of the playoffs. To only give up 1 run is remarkable.

- Loved that Nasty Boys 2.0 made an appearance. Chapman was a little shaky, which worries me, but he got the job done and that's all that matters. He's kind of a headcase, and hopefully now that he's experienced the moment he'll be better for the next outing.

- The 2010 Reds looked tight and scared in the playoffs. This team looked like they believe they belong here. The body language is night and day.

- The Reds are not scared of Matt Cain. This is the third time they've beat him this season. He couldn't locate the strikezone and he was hanging his breaking balls. The Reds just beat the Giants' best pitcher, without their best pitcher, on the road. That's huge.

- Jerry Cousins called a horribly inconsistent strike zone. A huge strikezone too.

- Brandon Phillips was the player the Reds needed. 3 for 5 with a 2 run bomb to start off the scoring. Also, Jay Bruce is on a hot streak, and as a historically streaky player, that's a bad thing for the Giants.

- Cardinals fans, you're annoying and you won't stop being annoying until your team stops farting magic in every crucial game. It's the price of success.

God damn this feels great. 10 more.

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are a few franchises in sports that just seem to get lucky again and again and again. The Pittsburgh Steelers are one, the Detroit Red Wings are one, and the St. Louis Cardinals are one. The Braves handed the Cardinals this game and then as if they hadn't gotten enough breaks, the umpire makes one of the worst calls I've ever seen. Only the Cardinals could drop a fly ball and get an out. Only them.

If this St. Louis Cardinals team weasels another world series again, and on top of the NHL being locked out, it's going to be a long, dark winter for this guy.

If I've learned anything in the last decade, it's the crap Cardinals teams that do well in the playoffs. So if you want the team to crash out, the NL Central is going to have to collectively roll over and die when facing them in the regular season. I trust you understand.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Good luck to you. I don't know whether it's the championship last year or the Rams being good or the fact that I wasn't sure the Cards would even be here a month ago, but I don't find myself nearly as nervous as I've been in other years. Some of that will come back once the game rolls around I'm sure, though.

Regardless, barring some sort of conflict during this series, I'm 90% sure I'd be rooting Nationals the rest of the way if they do take out the Cardinals. Should be a fun series.

Pagan's a scrub, Scutaro's back to being Scutaro, Sandoval doesn't know what he's doing, and Pence is a bust. Posey can't do everything himself. It seems like all the starters have tired arms. Playing the NL West scrubs for the last month just falsely raised hopes about this team. They've sucked against the elite teams all season long.

Pagan's a scrub, Scutaro's back to being Scutaro, Sandoval doesn't know what he's doing, and Pence is a bust. Posey can't do everything himself. It seems like all the starters have tired arms. Playing the NL West scrubs for the last month just falsely raised hopes about this team. They've sucked against the elite teams all season long.

I have a feeling you hate the Giants. Tell us how you really feel. :P

Anyone know why the MLB/TBS decided to schedule the Yankees game at the exact same time the Jets are playing?

I imagine its because they want the Yankees in prime time, period.

Beyond that, there's probably a couple of specific factors to justify it.

1. There's more than enough people that want to watch the Yankees that it will make up for the loss of any viewers to MNF.

2. The Jets aren't the most watchable team right now. They probably believe they can get some fans to side with postseason baseball over bad football.

I knew Baltimore was going to lose when they couldn't come through in the 8th with a runner on second. It seems that if you don't take advantage of your opportunities late in the game, the Yankees will come through in the 9th with a big homer. It happened to the Twins in the 2010 ALDS, and it will happen again.

I knew Baltimore was going to lose when they couldn't come through in the 8th with a runner on second. It seems that if you don't take advantage of your opportunities late in the game, the Yankees will come through in the 9th with a big homer. It happened to the Twins in the 2010 ALDS, and it will happen again.

I had that feeling too. You gotta be able to get those timely hits in the postseason. Think the birds are gonna pull it off tonight though.

Archived