2011-12 NHL Season

njmeadowlanders

Beagle got wrecked for sure. Not sure what the hubbub is about. I saw Ashams gestures, he got caught up in the moment, I dont blame the guy that much, he showed some class afterwards tapping his stick on the glass as Beags got helped off the ice. Asham owned up to his gestures being classless after the game, no harm no foul, but I hope King gets in and shows him a thing or two next time. Its hockey!

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't see what he did until I watched a replay just now. As a pens fan I know that Asham is one of the classiest guys out there, so I was surprised to see him do that, but like you said, it's hockey. He got caught up in the moment, and owned up to it later. Just another anecdote in story of the rivalry.

oBIgzrL.png

Two games into the season, and I don't recall a single mention of the Red Wings on sports radio thus far(and I listen all day, every day at work). No training camp coverage, news on position battles, reaction to the first couple of games...nothing. I know we've got a lot of other stuff happening with sports in Michigan, and I know the "wake me up when the playoffs start" attitude around here. But nobody's even mentioning the Red Wings.

..Hey, hey, Hockeytown!

Seriously? Let's see the sporting events relevant in the state of Michigan this week:

- The Tigers are in the ALCS for only the second time in the last 20 years.

- First Lions MNF game in 10 years vs. the Bears... (Have you heard they're undefeated?)

- The undefeated #11 Michigan Wolverines travel to East Lansing to take on their rivals, #24 Michigan State Spartans.

- The Red Wings play one regular season game all week... vs. the Vancouver Canucks.

What, are you upset there is no Pistons lock-out talk too?

I'm as big of a Red Wings slappy as you will find, but the Red Wings are currently on the backburner, at least until the Tigers season is over. Come December, when college football wraps up and there is no basketball to talk about, the Wings will get there fair share of radio time. We'll also have a better sample size to look at some of the issues this team is facing and how they're dealing with them... (such as: Is Howard solid enough to win a cup? Are they going to have to make a move to fill Rafalski's skates on the blue line? Is Mike Babcock's hair really that exquisite?)

Caps kill me with all this overtime, but a win is a win and I'll take it.

It will take time for all of the new integral parts acquired in the offseason, Ward, Brouwer, Hamrlik, Halpern, and Vokoun, to adjust to the Caps defensive/dump and chase playing style. However, they are settling in to the new line combinations and are beginning to play better than the first two games this season.

Two games into the season, and I don't recall a single mention of the Red Wings on sports radio thus far(and I listen all day, every day at work). No training camp coverage, news on position battles, reaction to the first couple of games...nothing. I know we've got a lot of other stuff happening with sports in Michigan, and I know the "wake me up when the playoffs start" attitude around here. But nobody's even mentioning the Red Wings.

..Hey, hey, Hockeytown!

Seriously? Let's see the sporting events relevant in the state of Michigan this week:

- First Lions MNF game in 10 years vs. the Bears... (Have you heard they're undefeated?)

- The undefeated #11 Michigan Wolverines travel to East Lansing to take on their rivals, #24 Michigan State Spartans.

- The Red Wings play one regular season game all week... vs. the Vancouver Canucks.

I'm as big of a Red Wings slappy as you will find, but the Red Wings are currently on the backburner, at least until the Tigers season is over. Come December, when college football wraps up and there is no basketball to talk about, the Wings will get there fair share of radio time. We'll also have a better sample size to look at some of the issues this team is facing and how they're dealing with them... (such as: Is Howard solid enough to win a cup? Are they going to have to make a move to fill Rafalski's skates on the blue line? Is Mike Babcock's hair really that exquisite?)

Funny you say that, because I've actually heard more NBA lockout talk, than Red Wings talk.

...I know this is an unprecedented time in Michigan sports, I mentioned it in my post. But zero Red Wings talk?!? In Hockeytownâ„¢?!?

..Hey, hey, Hockeytown!

GFB I agree with everything you said. I guess keeping the spirit of this conversation in mind that the Red Wings shouldn't write "Hockeytown" on their ice when every other sports story in town over shadows the team in question.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

..Hey, hey, Hockeytown!

GFB I agree with everything you said. I guess keeping the spirit of this conversation in mind that the Red Wings shouldn't write "Hockeytown" on their ice when every other sports story in town over shadows the team in question.

Charger, the "Hockeytown" campaign hasn't been used by the Wings in 10 years... Lately they've been going with really poor slogans like "Sea of Red" or "Red Alert"... I think the only reason it's still even remotely around is due to establishment of the Hockeytown Cafe, Hockeytown Authentics, etc... which were established around those late 90s Stanley Cup teams. It was also a pretty popular campaign in the area, right up there with "Whose Your Tiger?" and "Going to Work" (Pistons). But I don't think that they're still desperately holding onto it like you imply that they are...

Charger, the "Hockeytown" campaign hasn't been used by the Wings in 10 years...

Have you watched a Red Wings home game at any point in the past decade?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Charger, the "Hockeytown" campaign hasn't been used by the Wings in 10 years... Lately they've been going with really poor slogans like "Sea of Red" or "Red Alert"... I think the only reason it's still even remotely around is due to establishment of the Hockeytown Cafe, Hockeytown Authentics, etc... which were established around those late 90s Stanley Cup teams. It was also a pretty popular campaign in the area, right up there with "Whose Your Tiger?" and "Going to Work" (Pistons). But I don't think that they're still desperately holding onto it like you imply that they are...

Um, have you seen any of their marketing materials or center ice at Joe Louis Arena?

frozen_inside112207.jpg

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

In other NHL news Isles worst contract ever and perennial money pit Rick DiPietro is out indefinitely with a concussion. Shocked? Not at all.

I'm shocked he lasted that long as I initially projected that his season would have been over by the Isles second preseason game.

In other NHL news Isles worst contract ever and perennial money pit Rick DiPietro is out indefinitely with a concussion. Shocked? Not at all.

I'm shocked he lasted that long as I initially projected that his season would have been over by the Isles second preseason game.

Is there some sort of CBA provision that can get him off their books due his his injury issues?

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

Who's the goaltenders for the Islanders while Rick gets healthy?

Al Montoya, who has been playing well lately, possibly to avenge his father's death, and Evgeni Nabokov who is sitting on the bench just so his contract will expire and he can get off the island.

Who's the goaltenders for the Islanders while Rick gets healthy?

Al Montoya, who has been playing well lately, possibly to avenge his father's death, and Evgeni Nabokov who is sitting on the bench just so his contract will expire and he can get off the island.

Yeah I've been very happy with the way Montoya's been playing to start the season. Nabokov for all intents and purposes will be used as a trade pawn come February, but if DiPietro continues to be hurt at that point, idk they may have to keep him on board for the time being

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Is there some sort of CBA provision that can get him off their books due his his injury issues?

If I've read the CBA off of Wikipedia correctly, the Isles could file a grievance against DiPietro due to the frequencies of his injuries.

If I've read the CBA off of Wikipedia correctly, the Isles could file a grievance against DiPietro's due to the frequencies of his injuries.

Damn you, you're made of balsa on purpose!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived