NHL 2012-2013: Possible Uniform Changes

Morgan33

Quick question. Do teams have to plan out when they wear alternates before the season starts, or can they decide what set they're going to wear on a game-by-game basis? I ask because it seems like the Lightning are wearing their alternates for many of their home games nowadays. I'm thinking that it may have to do with public reaction to the new set, and possibly an indication of upcoming tweaks.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick question. Do teams have to plan out when they wear alternates before the season starts, or can they decide what set they're going to wear on a game-by-game basis? I ask because it seems like the Lightning are wearing their alternates for many of their home games nowadays. I'm thinking that it may have to do with public reaction to the new set, and possibly an indication of upcoming tweaks.

We can only hope, but sadly, it was scheduled.

Third jersey schedule from Icethetics:

Sat., Oct. 22 ? vs. Buffalo Sabres

Sat., Oct. 29 ? vs. Winnipeg Jets

Sat., Nov. 19 ? vs. New Jersey Devils

Sat., Nov. 26 ? vs. Florida Panthers

Sat., Dec. 3 ? vs. New York Rangers

Sat., Dec. 31 ? vs. Carolina Hurricanes

Sun., Jan. 15 ? vs. Pittsburgh Penguins

Sat., Feb. 4 ? vs. Florida Panthers

Sat., Feb. 18 ? vs. Washington Capitals

Sat., Mar. 10 ? vs. Carolina Hurricanes

Sat., Mar. 17 ? vs. St. Louis Blues

Sat., Mar. 24 ? vs. New York Islanders

Sat., Mar. 31 ? vs. Winnipeg Jets

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Unlike the Blues, however, the Preds have really made that template their own. If the Blues would smarten up and Edge-ify their pre-Edge look then Nashville could own that template.

I like the concept of a yellow sweater, but they really half-a**ed it. They should have gone yellow on the road and navy at home. A NHL uniform set without a white sweater? That would have truly been unique.

The only thing that really bugs me about their set are the guitar string numbers. It's just to much.

That's what I had said. Plus, the Preds need a matching yellow helmet. The last non-white uniform set belonged to the Canucks and the Kings in the 80's. When white was the home colour, I always felt that home yellow was unique and distinctive. Now, think how unique it would be to see it on the road. Colour vs yellow. Imagine Nashville @ Detroit for example - away yellow vs home red.

But they wanted to make the yellow jersey the main one. It doesn't make sense to have the primary jersey in a color that's already used by 1/3rd of the league, with a road jersey that's unique and stands out like no other. The jersey that's usually supposed to get the most attention is the home jersey. Plus, if Predator fans really, really do want a yellow jersey, if it becomes the road jersey, every other arena will get to see it in action live expect Nashville.

Unlike the Blues, however, the Preds have really made that template their own. If the Blues would smarten up and Edge-ify their pre-Edge look then Nashville could own that template.

I like the concept of a yellow sweater, but they really half-a**ed it. They should have gone yellow on the road and navy at home. A NHL uniform set without a white sweater? That would have truly been unique.

The only thing that really bugs me about their set are the guitar string numbers. It's just to much.

How so? I suppose the the small angular panels near the collar could represent fangs but that seems like a bit of a stretch. The piping more sense on the Blues since there are no hem stripes to box the logo in. It could represent the Arch but that's also a stretch. Frankly, it's just a bad template and there was no reason for it to reoccur... let alone in the same division.

^Thank God they didn't go with that. The last thing the league needs is another Columbus/Florida/TB. Now all they need to do is fix the shoulder patch and piping issues...

The guitar pick shoulder patch ties in to the community nicely, i hope the keep it

I love that shoulder patch. However, it appears on only one shoulder, which really annoys me.

Oh, and why shouldn't they wear navy at home and gold on the road?

a) Yellow looks perfectly fine against white

b ) The league has rules about this stuff, and most importantly,

c)

0713-nsh-newhome.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1310628276873

They're branding themselves as a gold team. Not a blue one. Why wear a navy jersey, let alone at home? You have the Leafs, Jets, Isles, Sabres, Jackets, Rangers, Canucks, Blues, and Tampa all branded as blue teams. That's not unique. Look how well it worked for the Lightning. rolleyes.gif

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

You're all nuts. Those Preds jerseys are great.

For all the lip service you guys give to wanting new ideas in sports uniforms, none of you like it when it's actually done. "I want something new?as long as it means using what they wore when I was nine."

They're awesome. End of story.

An improvement? Yes. Awesome? No.

The only new idea being presented here is the use of yellow at home. Take that away and your left with another uninspired template jersey based off a design that was never popular in the first place.

Yellow at home is not new! Kings, Canucks, and (Golden) Seals have used it. Neither is yellow as the dark jersey, Bruins have doe that.

shamrockles.png

shamrocklescronological.png

^Thank God they didn't go with that. The last thing the league needs is another Columbus/Florida/TB. Now all they need to do is fix the shoulder patch and piping issues...

The guitar pick shoulder patch ties in to the community nicely, i hope the keep it

I love that shoulder patch. However, it appears on only one shoulder, which really annoys me.

The reason that it can't be on both shoulders is that the "NP" logo is at the bottom, and if it were on both shoulders, than they would have either had to make two versions of the logo or the "NP" would be backwards on one shoulder, which would be more annoying, so I am alright with it now. Also, it bugs me how we share St. Louis' template, but IMO St. Louis has no buisness wearing a modern template, and they should just go back ot their pre-edge set.

spacer.png

The reason that it can't be on both shoulders is that the "NP" logo is at the bottom, and if it were on both shoulders, than they would have either had to make two versions of the logo or the "NP" would be backwards on one shoulder, which would be more annoying, so I am alright with it now. Also, it bugs me how we share St. Louis' template, but IMO St. Louis has no buisness wearing a modern template, and they should just go back ot their pre-edge set.

I agree with you about St. Louis, but what do you mean the "NP" would be backwards?

I agree with you about St. Louis, but what do you mean the "NP" would be backwards?

I think he means that if you didn't flip it. However, I see no problem with doing that to make "two versions of it", because that's what Boston and a few other teams do.

I think he means that if you didn't flip it. However, I see no problem with doing that to make "two versions of it", because that's what Boston and a few other teams do.

Why would you need to flip it? You would rotate the logo 180o for the other shoulder.

I wish that they would have made two versions of the logo so that it would be on both shoulders, but it probably costs more to have to embroider a different logo on each shoulder. And you would have to flip it beacuse other wise the "NP" would be backwards on the right shoulder. It's just like how the Ravens have two different versions of their helmet logo, as seen below.

CaptureE.png

spacer.png

I wish that they would have made two versions of the logo so that it would be on both shoulders, but it probably costs more to have to embroider a different logo on each shoulder. And you would have to flip it beacuse other wise the "NP" would be backwards on the right shoulder. It's just like how the Ravens have two different versions of their helmet logo, as seen below.

CaptureE.png

Are you stoned?

This logo would look the same on either shoulder

YHFD_PredGuitarPick_Summer2011_200x115.jpg

It's a symmetrical logo. The reason you have to flip the B on the raven head is because they want the Raven head to face forward on both sides. The guitar pick doesn't have that problem.

PvO6ZWJ.png

CaptureE.png

Are you stoned?

This logo would look the same on either shoulder

YHFD_PredGuitarPick_Summer2011_200x115.jpg

It's a symmetrical logo. The reason you have to flip the B on the raven head is because they want the Raven head to face forward on both sides. The guitar pick doesn't have that problem.

Whoops, my bad. For some reason, I just kept visualizing it that way in my head :wacko: . In that case, there really isn't a reason for only one shoulder patch other than an attempt at uniqueness.

spacer.png

In that case, there really isn't a reason for only one shoulder patch other than an attempt at uniqueness.

And if that's the case, they've failed in that regard, too, since the Coyotes have been wearing a lone shoulder patch for seven years.

I like the Preds' current look a lot, and I'd full-on love it if 1) they got rid of the apron strings, and instead only ran the piping along the navy inserts on the front and back; and 2) put the guitar pick patch on both shoulders.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Considering the WHA had yellow at home, why not the NHL??? i would love to see a yellow flames and predators as road jerseys(considering white is now the road jersey).

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

I hope the Preds don't introduce a navy alt just for the sake of doing so/money, though I fear they they will. I'm also looking forward to the Leafs' centennial when they (hopefully) bust out Arenas, St. Pats, 1930s, and 1940s throwbacks...hopefully they go the same route as the Angels did with their Disney unis last year and skip the Ballard jerseys.

Rangers playoff train.

26c5b04c7da711e181bd12313817987b_7.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived