San Jose A's

oaklandhusker

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the correction.

Personally, I hope they force the Giants to give up their territorial rights. It's the only way I'll get my Brooklyn team back again. :P

Isn't Brooklyn solid Mets territory? If anything, a team should be strategically placed where it would hurt the Yankees. The poor Mets need all the help they can get.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Thanks for the correction.

Personally, I hope they force the Giants to give up their territorial rights. It's the only way I'll get my Brooklyn team back again. :P

How so? The Giants territorial situation is unique in MLB. No other market with two teams is split in the unequal and unfair way the Bay Area is currently (Giants have 7 counties, the A's have 2). All other 2 team markets are shared equally. If anything this would put the Bay Area back more toward what every other 2 team market is and would solidify that model entrenching the Mets and Yankees further.

Also when this does go down, the Giants won't be "forced" to do anything. They'll agree to reasonable terms mediated by Selig. That's what he's there for and been known for as commissioner.

A's fired back today

http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120307&content_id=27081248&vkey=pr_oak&c_id=oak

And it looks like they've been sitting on a piece of information that is potentially a game changer. Wolff is claiming that the Giants rights to Santa Clara County (San Jose), were granted in the early 90's contingent on the Giants actually moving to Santa Clara County. The Giants obviously did not move to SCC and obviously have no intention to do so seeing as they built Pac Bell Park further away from SCC than Candlestick used to be. Wolff also claims he has the proof to back this up. If it sticks this could change the whole way the A's are framing their argument. They'd no longer be asking MLB to strip the rights from the Giants, but rather just return things to the status quo antebellum (ie: Santa Clara County is a shared territory between the teams) as the rights should have been the moment the Giants gave up on moving south (which happened around 1997).

This would alleviate any of the concerns teams like the Yankees might have had since this wouldn't be a new territorial grant but rather a contractually obligated return of shared rights that should have occurred 15 years ago.

A's fired back today

http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120307&content_id=27081248&vkey=pr_oak&c_id=oak

And it looks like they've been sitting on a piece of information that is potentially a game changer. Wolff is claiming that the Giants rights to Santa Clara County (San Jose), were granted in the early 90's contingent on the Giants actually moving to Santa Clara County. The Giants obviously did not move to SCC and obviously have no intention to do so seeing as they built Pac Bell Park further away from SCC than Candlestick used to be. Wolff also claims he has the proof to back this up. If it sticks this could change the whole way the A's are framing their argument. They'd no longer be asking MLB to strip the rights from the Giants, but rather just return things to the status quo antebellum (ie: Santa Clara County is a shared territory between the teams) as the rights should have been the moment the Giants gave up on moving south (which happened around 1997).

This would alleviate any of the concerns teams like the Yankees might have had since this wouldn't be a new territorial grant but rather a contractually obligated return of shared rights that should have occurred 15 years ago.

I'm sure the giants are just angling for some sort of buyout or payout from this situation that mlb created in their infinite wisdom.

I seriously believe that mlb is the most inept sports organization in the history of american pro sports...they are consistently reactive or intentionally ignorant when it comes to dealing with impending issues that could result in financial loss or bad publicity, then they completely botch every single decision that make when they are forced to act by putting zero foresight into their processes.

I like the sport for it's nostalgia, and it fits well as a lazy summer pastime but selig and his ilk deserve a serious karma beatdown for all of the fvckups that they've brought upon pro baseball.

I seriously believe that mlb is the most inept sports organization in the history of american pro sports...

Gary Bettman says hi.

Every comissioner of an arena/indoor football league is calling in to say hello as well.

I wouldn't say the MLB is the most inept. For one, MLB.TV is the most genius thing ever invented in sports media.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Wow, never knew that and i live in the bay.... that would certainly quiet things if it just went back the way it was.

Neither did I. I'm getting the feeling talking to others that some knew that the A's were claiming the rights had been subject to the Giants move happening, but I'm also getting the feeling that the A's having proof of it is something that hasn't been talked about much.

A's fired back today

I'm sure the giants are just angling for some sort of buyout or payout from this situation that mlb created in their infinite wisdom.

I seriously believe that mlb is the most inept sports organization in the history of american pro sports...they are consistently reactive or intentionally ignorant when it comes to dealing with impending issues that could result in financial loss or bad publicity, then they completely botch every single decision that make when they are forced to act by putting zero foresight into their processes.

I like the sport for it's nostalgia, and it fits well as a lazy summer pastime but selig and his ilk deserve a serious karma beatdown for all of the fvckups that they've brought upon pro baseball.

I'm not sure the Giants are angling for any kind of payout. If they had been they'd have come to the table already. But if Wolff is right they may have no choice now since they may not be entitle to any kind of payout as it stands. If they want any kind they'd have to play nice. But it all hinges on how strong Wolff's evidence is and how it plays against whatever the Giants claim they have. Ultimately I think that's what Wolff was angling for with this release, he's forcing the issue to force negotiations or maybe arbitration should the Giants not want to come to the table willingly.

I seriously believe that mlb is the most inept sports organization in the history of american pro sports...

Gary Bettman says hi.

Every comissioner of an arena/indoor football league is calling in to say hello as well.

I wouldn't say the MLB is the most inept. For one, MLB.TV is the most genius thing ever invented in sports media.

He said American PRO sports.

spacer.png

If I were the A's and San Jose, I'd stop playing nice and either sue MLB/Giants, which could threaten the antitrust exemption (a Missouri Senator threatened to start a bill to revoke it when the A's left KC and that's how the Kansas City Royals were created) or just put shovels in the ground and start building the new San Jose ballpark.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

A's fired back today

Good for the A's. I don't have any dog in this fight but seems like they are getting screwed. Build a new park, drive lots of incremental revenue, and re-join MLB. Its always more fun when more teams can compete on a regular basis.

Gary Bettman says hi.

Indoor football IS pro, they get paid to play, that's the definition of pro.

niagaraq.png

Gary Bettman says hi.

Turn your sarcasm meter on.

spacer.png

And it continues to spiral out of control. First the Giants put out a similar press release late yesterday stating in essence, "nu-uh" in response to the A's press release and reiterating that the Giants have 6 Bay Area counties as their territory and the A's have 2. Then in response to that the San Jose city council through councilman Liccardo (the guy who represents the area of the city where Cisco Field would be located), brought out the nuclear option. He raised the first time publicly the spectre of challenging baseball's Anti-Trust exemption if baseball is going to act un-American and anti-free market.

Selig deserves this quite frankly for sitting on the A's situation now for over 1091 days (that'll be 3 years in 4 days folks).

Gary Bettman says hi.

Turn your sarcasm meter on.

Be more funny.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Archived