Johnny Canuck Logo Petition

VancouverFan69

This is the problem. Vancouver has had so many logos the fanbase can't agree with what should be used. You'd have to be crazy to drop the blue green and white colour scheme though.

Personally, while I prefer Johnny Canuck I think they should use the Rink logo, because it seems to be the least divisive among the fanbase. I prefer the modern one because the 'C' is a lot more clearly defined.

The 40th anniversary jerseys were a work of art though. I'd love to see them put johnny on the shoulder, add a namebar and be done with the changes.

I totally agree. The 40th anniversary jerseys are the best jerseys the Canucks have ever worn. Loved the two thick stripes. The white V on the arms and the trimming on the pants were a unique thing of beauty. I would also add green accents around the numbers as well. As for the Rink, I would go with the original one for consistency with the original stripes, but would still make the white 'C' inner border stand out with the green border closed.

The thing about the skating Johnny Canuck logo that I also really like is that it incorporates all the elements of the Canucks' first two crests. Johnny is holding a white stick(white stick in Rink crest) and he is wearing skates(Speeding Skate crest). People like the Stick 'n Rink, people like the Skate, etc, etc. Cannot please everyone and past Canuck ownership groups had no one to blame but themselves.

I've seen some Johnny Canuck jersey concepts and they look awesome. I know for a fact that if the Canucks were to test a Johnny jersey for a third, it would sell like crazy. Not just in Vancouver and BC, but in Canada. The thing about the orca jerseys that orca supporters like is that they have been worn by the greatest group of players in franchise history and the Canucks' growing fanbase has become "Canuck Nation". Truth is, is that orcas don't leap in and out of the water 24/7 off the coast of Vancouver. If orcas were as seen as often as Canada geese flying to/from Stanley Park, there would be more of an argument to keep the orca brand. Hockey is an extremely important part of our city's cultural makeup and the Canucks are as important to Vancouver as the Yankees are to New York or the Cowboys are to Dallas/Fort Worth. Johnny Canuck would give the Canuck name total meaning and Canuck fans, young and young-at-heart, male and female, a crest to be proud of. The thing to remember is seeing Johnny Canuck concepts on the internet is ONE thing. Seeing the Sedins, Burrows, Kesler, Hodgson, and Bieksa wear Johnny and WIN with Johnny would be the "tip of the iceberg". Speaking of Canuck players, both Luongo and Schneider(who's American) proudly wear Johnny on their masks. Not an orca logo is seen.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The striping, the sleeve V, the colours, and the pants design are all brilliant. I can even accept the unique, if somewhat wonky, number font. The logo, however, is dated and generic. I wouldn't mind keeping the updated stick in rink as an alternate, but neither version should be used as a primary.

As far as the Canucks are concerned, these to me are sharp, maybe put Johnny Canuck on the shoulder. They one posted by 'Gothamite' looks just too minor league-like IMO. The Orca with Vancouver above it looks way too busy.

Henrik+Sedin+Ryan+Kesler+Montreal+Canadiens+pjcha217QBPl.jpg

I agree. This set is great! Very nice, clean logo.

These jerseys are beautiful. I'd love to go back to these full time and have a blue version for the matching set. I'm normally not a big fan of the rink and stick, but they look so perfect on these jerseys that I'd be fine with having it as a primary.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

(Those) jerseys are beautiful. I'd love to go back to these full time and have a blue version for the matching set. I'm normally not a big fan of the rink and stick, but they look so perfect on these jerseys that I'd be fine with having it as a primary.

Not to mention, a lot of people arguing for the Orca cite last season as a reason it should be kept. These uniforms ARE the 40th anniversary jerseys. The Orca brought about the Messier/Keenan days, arguably the darkest days in the history of the franchise. And considering it's the Canucks, that's saying a lot.

That design is just too good to not be used.

And yes the Orca did sell a lot of jerseys during last season and playoffs, but that is mostly due to it being the primary jersey. When a team has a really good run they're going to sell a lot of jerseys from all the bandwagoners, and the primary is the one that's going to be sold the most. I remember if you walked into a shop and asked for a jersey you wouldn't be able to find one. And that was in Victoria, not even Vancouver.

I still think the Modern stick-in-rink logo should be used because it's the least divisive and would age the easiest. Use the design on the 40th uniforms, put Johnny on the shoulder and add a namebar and I honestly think they would be amongst the best jerseys in the league.

Vancouver LOST the Stanley Cup Finals in that Orca getup, they didn't win it. Why would those pro-Orca fans want to keep the logo that they were losers in?

The NY Giants won 2 Super Bowls with the old GIANTS logo, they switched back to their retro New_York_Giants_logo-1.jpg logo and have won 2 more Super Bowls ...

Stick in the Rink is a great logo, it's their original NHL identity, and the blue and green look great together. No team needs a huge city wordmark above a logo on the front of their sweater, again it's just too busy .... Canucks have changed uniforms and logos too much over the years, they're like the Chisox of the NHL (at least the SOX have finally settled on a look) ... I'd go with the stick in the rink and 'strink' with it

A traditional laced front would be cool tho' ... thought they had those back in the day. I'll have to look at my old Jocelyn Guevremont photos taken at the Aud . . :)

p-559083-jocelyn-guevremont-vancouver-canucks-autographed-hand-signed-8x10-photo-aj-guej134021.jpg

It's amazing how nicely they've tweaked the stick-in-rink uniforms since their expansion days of '70-'71 ... real nice .. thumbsup.gif

canucks_alternate-1.jpg

canucks_alt.jpg

The only logical solution here is a blue and green version of this:

canucks.jpg

As long as the chest V is kept as the only 'irregular' design element, i.e., the stripes on the sleeves and pants need to be toned down and more traditional like those on the socks, this design would look great in blue, green and white.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

If the Canucks were to use the Stick and Rink as a primary they should most definitely use the modern one. Lets be honest, the original stick and rink is a merely decent concept with terrible execution. The modern one on the other hand fixes these problems and makes the 'C' much more defined. In fact, the more I see the modern one on the front of the alternate, the better it looks. Just reverse the colours on the Blue to fix the contrast issue.

I'd say go with the 40th anniversary one and either another in blue just like it, or one patterned off the original 1970's blue one. The Johnny Canuck could be used as a 3rd jersey.

Bought 2 Johnny Canuck jerseys off a guy in B.C. who was selling his extra 'beer league' jerseys a year or so ago.

Here's the pics.

2621102930102258651S425x425Q85.jpg

2346853800102258651S425x425Q85.jpg

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

The stick-in-rink logo is about as drab and boring as anything I've ever seen.

I will never understand the love for it. I actually think the orca logo looks better in the current scheme than it did in the previous scheme (which wasn't all that bad itself, really), with Johnny Canuck being a solid alternate. Modernized or original, the stick-in-rink logo is better off in the past.

spacer.png

As far as the Canucks are concerned, these to me are sharp, maybe put Johnny Canuck on the shoulder. They one posted by 'Gothamite' looks just too minor league-like IMO. The Orca with Vancouver above it looks way too busy.

These jerseys are beautiful. I'd love to go back to these full time and have a blue version for the matching set. I'm normally not a big fan of the rink and stick, but they look so perfect on these jerseys that I'd be fine with having it as a primary.

This is exactly how I feel... I don't love the stick in rink but those jerseys were awesome.

I'd say go with the 40th anniversary one and either another in blue just like it, or one patterned off the original 1970's blue one. The Johnny Canuck could be used as a 3rd jersey.

Bought 2 Johnny Canuck jerseys off a guy in B.C. who was selling his extra 'beer league' jerseys a year or so ago.

Here's the pics.

2621102930102258651S425x425Q85.jpg

2346853800102258651S425x425Q85.jpg

>>>>

Looks okay at best, but Johnny needs the plaid sweater from back in the day while in the WHL ... It's okay to tweak, but the plaid was a part in what helped make the Johnny Canuck identity IMO .... I think it could make a great 3rd uni if done correctly, especially if it were more authentic yet slightly tweaked from the 60s.

Without the plaid sweater why bother?

If anybody has any old color photos of their WHL uniforms from the 60s with the authentic logo I'm sure many would like to see ...

Johnnycanuck.jpg

As a Sabres fan I'd give anything to see them wear the old Bisons Pepsi-cap logo from the 60s as an alternate .... Our current alternate is a total fraud. Old ownership said it was a tribute to Buffalo hockey past (Bisons) ... but the font is different and the 'Buffalo' was never over-lined ... it was only underlined. Perhaps it's a copyright © thing owned by Pepsi and they didn't wanna pay $

I soooo loved those!!

This one is a very late 60s version .. late 50s and early 60s the Pepsi-cap logo was smaller.

** Buff-jacked .. sorry! :grin:

bisonsjersey2.jpg2011_alternate.jpg

I disagree. I think the current set is miles above this. I'm more interested in looking at the orca than the stick in rink logo, and the current font is unique compared to the generic font this one uses. The V's in the stripes remind me of two pieces of tape accidentally stuck on the jersey.

Also, this is kind of weird, but I see a whale in the Stick in Rink logo more than I do the Orca. The Orca reminds me of a totem pole drawing, and the stick in rink just looks like a Beluga Whale.

beluga_whale_four.jpg

canucks-1970-logo8-dark.jpg

Hah, if the stick went the other way and it had an eye, they'd be exactly alike

Manchester-City-icon.png

>>>>

Yo evanmaldonado .... Good game, and nice result for Man Citeh today ...

Hope to see Naaaaaarich get at least a draw against the filthy Red Mancs tomorrow.

If you're a big Citeh supporter this might be a better avatar, you're welcome to it.

man_citeh-1.jpg

Looks okay at best, but Johnny needs the plaid sweater from back in the day while in the WHL ... It's okay to tweak, but the plaid was a part in what helped make the Johnny Canuck identity IMO .... I think it could make a great 3rd uni if done correctly, especially if it were more authentic yet slightly tweaked from the 60s.

Without the plaid sweater why bother?

How about a plaid johnny canuck on a plaid jersey for a 3rd ;)

[sorry about the quality - just cut and pasted some of the plaid on an athletic knit custom jersey over the logo there and put a transparent old johnny over it]

2202259190102258651S425x425Q85.jpg

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

I just thought of something... Why would the Canucks organization bother making an updated version of Johnny Canuck just a few years removed from their big 07 redesign if they weren't planning on using it on a jersey?

Sports teams generally don't think ahead like that, which is why we have so many identities that look dated in 5 years. There's not a lot of thought supporting the creation of a lasting brand.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I think the Canucks just like making logos. They have too many in their current catalogue atm, its kind of embarrassing. 6 at last count I think...

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Archived