Johnny Canuck Logo Petition

VancouverFan69

Pardon my ignorance, but what makes the orca logo controversial?

The orca logo was put in place by Orca Bay, the team's former ownership group. As such it's seen as a corporate symbol rather than a logo that truly represents the team. It's also associated with some lacklustre years of Canucks hockey. On top of that it's a killer whale. Not the first thing to spring to mind when you think of the name "Canucks."

I'd say they probably had their best years wearing the Orca. Cup finals; close to, if not, the top of the West standings nearly every year.

If we're using the "success" argument then they should be wearing some version of the 1978-1997 scheme. They made it to Cup Finals twice in that scheme, in '82 and '94.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pardon my ignorance, but what makes the orca logo controversial?

The orca logo was put in place by Orca Bay, the team's former ownership group. As such it's seen as a corporate symbol rather than a logo that truly represents the team. It's also associated with some lacklustre years of Canucks hockey. On top of that it's a killer whale. Not the first thing to spring to mind when you think of the name "Canucks."

I'd say they probably had their best years wearing the Orca. Cup finals; close to, if not, the top of the West standings nearly every year.

If we're using the "success" argument then they should be wearing some version of the 1978-1997 scheme. They made it to Cup Finals twice in that scheme, in '82 and '94.

The Canucks scheme should never change again. The Green White and Blue is so unique (only instance of kelly green in the league), The 70's to 90's one looks too much like the flames and the 1997 to 2007 one looks too much like the Avs.

The Oh Henry/German National Team uniforms look nothing like the flames, unless Black/Dark Orange/Yellow = Red/Yellow/Black.

That being said there's no way in hell I'd like to see them make a comeback, unless they figure out a way to make the flying V look good in the current colors.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

A close buddy of mine has started a petition that will be forwarded to the Vancouver Canucks' ownership and marketing department in regards to replacing the controversial orca logo with the updated Skating Johnny Canuck logo.

This is a subject that he and I both feel very strongly about. In all due respect to the past identities the Canucks have had in their 41-year history and the Canuck fans who have cherished their favourite logo(s), colour scheme(s), and uniform(s), it's time for the Canucks to finally do the right thing - go with Johnny Canuck. As much as I love the classic and elegant Stick and Rink(original and updated), the biggest mistake this franchise had made was not going with Johnny from Day One. There are people, including myself, feel that this mistake may have "cursed" the franchise.

Now, Johnny may not be for everyone. There are critics who feel that he is cartoony and has no business being on the front of a hockey sweater. I was ONE of those fans. Back '94, when the Canucks played Toronto in the Western Final, Don Cherry on Coach's Corner talked about his playing days in Vancouver in the old Western Hockey League. He talked about Johnny Canuck and how it would look great on the Canucks' uniforms. I simply didn't want a human character for a logo and was more than happy with the Speeding Skate crest we had at the time. There is still a lot of love for the '94 look.

Two years later, Rogers Sportsnet's Don Taylor, who used to have a weekly column in the Vancouver Province had mentioned his desire to see the return of the famous lumberjack. With rumours of the Canucks replacing the Skate, Taylor was very serious in what he was talking about. "What the heck is a Canuck?", many people have asked and continue to ask, to this very day. I swallowed my Canuck pride and realized that with a name like "Canucks", there was no better identity for the franchise than Johnny Canuck. Unfortunately, the former ownership, Orca Bay Sports & Entertainment wanted their corporate animal as the primary logo. Their first mistake before signing Mark Messier. Their original plan was to even change the team's name to "Orcas", because the Canucks name wouldn't sell in the US. Even more embarrassing was reading Orca Bay's spin on the logo after its unveiling: a Canuck is a Western Canadian! I didn't know whether to laugh or cry after reading that statement.

Fast forward to now. The Canucks have been one of the best and one of the most exciting teams in hockey over the past few years. However, there are two things that the club has yet to accomplish. The obvious: Lord Stanley's Cup. The other: its true identity on the uniforms.

A Johnny Canuck jersey set will finally give this franchise the identity it has always lacked and the proud and loyal fans a crest they can be proud to wear. Johnny may have a cartoony look but it doesn't look overly animated like the Islanders' disasterous Captain Highliner logo from the mid 90s. To me, Johnny is more comparable to the Blackhawks' Chief Black Hawk crest. Even the Boston Celtics' classic leprechaun logo looks more cartoony. For those who do support the orca, I don't disagree. It does symbolize Canada's west coast and British Columbia's Haida heritage. However, an orca does NOT represent the history of the Canucks' proud name and history. The Canucks' current orca doesn't even have that true fearsome Haida look. Furthermore, the lumber industry has been big in BC for many, many years and the City of Vancouver was built on the lumber industry.

As for the colours, the blue and green aren't going ANYWHERE. They are the Canucks' original and current colours and they scream Vancouver and BC. So at least, that's a step in the right direction.

So, whether you're a Canucks fan or not, please check out the petition: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/scraptheorca/

Thank you for your attention. All opinions and ideas welcome.

Cheers!

**Fin the mascot can stay. Even the Jets kept their moose mascot. Got to keep the kids happy.**

signed it for ya. i agree 100%.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

The Canucks scheme should never change again. The Green White and Blue is so unique (only instance of kelly green in the league), The 70's to 90's one looks too much like the flames and the 1997 to 2007 one looks too much like the Avs.

This. Is Vancouver the green and blue stick in rink team, or the black red and yellow flying skate team, or the red blue and silver orca team, or the blue and green orca team? Stick to this identiy because it's pretty fricken good. Maybe drop the Vancouver from the jerseys but that's it.

soundersbanner.png

Are the efforts of internet petitions eventually all for not?

All for naught.

Ahh darn, that's right. Thanks for the correction.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I'm not signing it because, while I do like the full bodied Johnny Canuck, I detest the V head Johnny Canuck logo. I don't want to take that risk of supporting a logo I dislike. And besides, I really like the Orca. I don't think it matters that the logo doesn't represent the name of the team. What are we all, 12 years old? To me, the Orca visually represents Vancouver better than any logo does. I'd be happy if we kept it forever.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

It's funny. When I was a kid I thought a Canuck was a whale. Nor is it a stick in a rink or a flying skate. How bout they save everyone else the confusion just and adopt Johnny as the main logo. Would it be that difficult to change? Hell, they aren't even owned by Orca Bay anymore!

Don't a lot of people get 'confused' by the Blackhawks identity? What's a blackhawk? An Indian? I had a friend who had a Blackhawks hat once and thought he was wearing a Red Indians hat. Shouldn't they literally have a Black Hawk as a logo to save confusion? This argument of the name not being linked with the logo so that 2 year olds can understand is so dumb to me. I mean it's not like the Canucks are called the killer Bees and have an orca as a logo. The name Canucks is a term for a Canadian. Get used to it. It's fine.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Don't take it so goddamn personally that the Canucks half-assed their redesign. It's plain as day that what they have now is a boardroom compromise. Of course their logo should be Johnny Canuck. It's a better logo than VANCOUVER in Agency arched over a recolored logo that represented mediocrity.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I say use a recolored Johnny Canuck as the primary, and a recolored flying skate as the shoulder logo. Problem solved.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

It's funny. When I was a kid I thought a Canuck was a whale. Nor is it a stick in a rink or a flying skate. How bout they save everyone else the confusion just and adopt Johnny as the main logo. Would it be that difficult to change? Hell, they aren't even owned by Orca Bay anymore!

Don't a lot of people get 'confused' by the Blackhawks identity? What's a blackhawk? An Indian? I had a friend who had a Blackhawks hat once and thought he was wearing a Red Indians hat. Shouldn't they literally have a Black Hawk as a logo to save confusion? This argument of the name not being linked with the logo so that 2 year olds can understand is so dumb to me. I mean it's not like the Canucks are called the killer Bees and have an orca as a logo. The name Canucks is a term for a Canadian. Get used to it. It's fine.

Couldn't have said it better myself

The only thing the Canucks should do at this point is make a white version of their thirds and make that those their home and away. The logo is stil kinda crappy but that third is beautiful. The current homes and away are a mess with many clashing elements. The team has :censored:ed around with their logos too many times to rebrand around Johnny Canuck.

When they first joined the league the Canucks should of just gone with a letter logo and jerseys similar to their WHL days. I love my team but their history of logos is embarrassing.

Don't take it so goddamn personally that the Canucks half-assed their redesign. It's plain as day that what they have now is a boardroom compromise. Of course their logo should be Johnny Canuck. It's a better logo than VANCOUVER in Agency arched over a recolored logo that represented mediocrity.

You just love any chance to rip on the Canucks.

I'd love to see Johnny Canuck, either full bodied or head/V, become the team's primary mark.

That being said, internet petitions rarely, if ever, work.

It worked for Buffalo Sabre fans. Remember the SabresNotSlugs website? If you don't shoot, you don't score. It's more than worth a try.

It remember that ... it was known as 'FixTheLogo.com' ... collected over 30,000 signatures, and the website was created after the leak before it ever even became official. Horrible logo! I thought it was a joke at first, never thought they'd go thru with a logo like that.

With the exception of the logo, I thought that '06-'07 set were the best uniforms the Sabres ever had ... I've always said they should have kept 'em but used the alternate 'B' logo with the Sabre-sword stuck thru it and dump that stupid Buffaslug.

slug.gife09pngsebcwr6b3beize.gif

Sabres and Canucks came into the NHL together in '70-'70 both clubs dropped their minor league logos and uniforms. First time Vancouver came to the Aud I liked the Canucks uniforms & logo, especially after they gave it a slight tweak from the 70s, whereas I've never liked the Sabres original logo, even after it was tweak .... Zzzzzzzz, boring !!!

As far as the Canucks are concerned, these to me are sharp, maybe put Johnny Canuck on the shoulder. They one posted by 'Gothamite' looks just too minor league-like IMO. The Orca with Vancouver above it looks way too busy.

Henrik+Sedin+Ryan+Kesler+Montreal+Canadiens+pjcha217QBPl.jpg

You just love any chance to rip on the Canucks.

So do I! :)

I vote for a classy interlocking VC logo in blue and green, possibly inside a "rink". Put whatever on the sleeves.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Hell to the no. The last thing this team needs is another :censored:ing redesign. Especially after the run they had last year, people in this city are finally embracing the latest redesign and most people I know think that the Canucks should stick with this identity forever. Would Johnny Canuck work as a third? If it's done right, then maybe; but for home and roads? Hell no. Don't change a god damn thing to them.

sport-scarf_celtic-2_zps105bfcbf.png

I've read people rip each of the primary marks in Canuck history and I think you are all correct. Maybe that's why they have not kept a consistent identity. But I really don't understand any love for the stick-in-rink. It seems so 70s, and lame by 70s standards anyway. The decapitated head is creepy and the full-body Johnny does not look "major league". These are, of course, my opinions.

I suppose that both the orca and skate logos are serviceable, though not candidates for "best NHL logo". I question the skate with the current color scheme, so by default, I'd say stick with the orca. The thing I wish they would do is incorporate some green into the primary. All the green on the sleeves and none on the front and back of the jersey. That bugs me.

The other reason to keep the orca is because this team really ought to pick an identity and stick with it. So use this one.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived