ESPN Article re: Ranking Baseball Uniforms

pdxuoduck

Well they wear them on Sundays because they always have graduating classes of Marines there on Sunday (and Sundays are military appreciation days). So essentially every Sunday is Veterans/Memorial Day at PETCO Park.

I never knew that. That's pretty cool.

Waaaahhhh my favorite team should be way up here but he has them way down there.

It's ONE guy's opinion, and written for entertainment purposes. If anyone gets butthurt over this they more than deserve mockery. This is a moderator edict.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

There's something really annoying about a sports writer trying, and failing miserably, to be "witty." His...ahem...jokes were not at all funny. His top ten isn't bad.

22. Brewers: There's one good thing about Prince Fielder leaving Milwaukee: At least we'll never see him in one of those awful gold alternate jerseys again. If the Brewers really want to stand out with an alternate top, they should wear leather Fonzie jackets.

Referencing fictional characters when making talking about a city... particularly ones who'd never pass for an actual resident of said city... is a primary example of this. See also: Philadelphia, Rocky.

Which reminds me. Funny, isn't it, how the most successful franchises over the generations generally have also stuck with the same uniform?

You mean teams that have success with a certain look are more likely to stick with that look? You don't say... :rolleyes:

As usual, more Caple thinking he's funnier than he is making stupid jokes based on how "snarky" and "witty" he thinks he is. A Lenny Dykstra joke? Still harping on the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim? Mary Tyler Moore? Seriously?

At this point, I only read his column for the Box Score CSI at the end.

Grunge-Logos.png

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Not a Braves fan at all but their unis are top 5. I also agree the Twins need to adopt the throwback fulltime, it matches Target Field the same way the whites matched the Metrodome roof and curtain.

There was a scathing article in the local paper as well. San Diego, the Padres, the Padres players and many SD residents did not take kindly to Caple's remarks. Particularly since he singles out the camo unis in violation of his own ranking criteria (and because hating the camos is seen by extension hating all the military outreach the Padres do for some, which is a no-no in this town).

There was a scathing article in the local paper as well. San Diego, the Padres, the Padres players and many SD residents did not take kindly to Caple's remarks. Particularly since he singles out the camo unis in violation of his own ranking criteria (and because hating the camos is seen by extension hating all the military outreach the Padres do for some, which is a no-no in this town).

The last paragraph of the article nails it. He starts the article saying that he's basing it on the primary uniform and then he just pans the alternate for the Padres (and others). I don't think it makes him unpatriotic, he's entitled to his stupid opinions just like the rest of us morons, but he doesn't even abide by his own rules.

And let's be honest: red numbers on the front with blue on the back on an entirely blue and white uniform? There are greater sins than camouflage.

Grunge-Logos.png

I feel like the only true way to rank uniforms based on design is to have someone who has no understanding of the history and dominant teams to judge them.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

-Red Sox belong in top 10, there's nothing wrong with the alts and I've had more than enough with the fried chicken/beer/video games jokes

-Miami belongs at the very bottom

-Padres main set is worse than the camo alts IMO

-Brewers belong in top half without a doubt

-O's ranking is lower than it should be, so is Rangers

-No complaints with the top 10 except for the Marlins and Tigers

There's something really annoying about a sports writer trying, and failing miserably, to be "witty." His...ahem...jokes were not at all funny. His top ten isn't bad.

Yeah, the explanations are terrible and lame, but here's what bothers me: He writes at the start of the article "1. The rankings are based primarily on the standard home uniform -- jersey, caps, pants and socks (not that you can see the socks anymore) -- but there are so many alternate jerseys it is sometimes hard to tell which is which. So alternate jerseys have some effect on the rankings."

And then he basically spent the rest of the article talking about alternate jerseys, lol...

DUmb inconsistent criteria.

High Quality Entertainment for the masses.

DiamondbacksSig.pngsuperbowlxliii-1.png

Seriously, the Rays are #28 for crying out loud. They should put the Rays in the top 20. The Dodgers and Yankees should flip-flop their places. I'm sorry, but this is a horrible article. :cry:

Yeah, the Rays aren't that bad. It's not as colorful as their abominable green jerseys, but it's a wonderful tone that screams "We finally have a team that doesn't play or look like a joke".

Not a Braves fan at all but their unis are top 5.

Have yet to see somebody who didn't look good in a Braves uniform.

Not only that but pretty much any Braves player I can think of since they adopted that style always looked better then they did in their previous unfirom if they had one, and worse if and when they left the team.

Seriously, the Rays are #28 for crying out loud. They should put the Rays in the top 20. The Dodgers and Yankees should flip-flop their places. I'm sorry, but this is a horrible article. :cry:

Yeah, the Rays aren't that bad. It's not as colorful as their abominable green jerseys, but it's a wonderful tone that screams "We finally have a team that doesn't play or look like a joke".

The Rays' current uniforms are terrible. Completely personality-free and generic, right down to the bland, 2006-trendy double blue color scheme. They look like a fake baseball team from a movie.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Archived