You Can Play

Braden

As for why not a part of mainstream awareness, what he does is his decision. It is personal and not for us to judge.

I wasn't judging, I was just curious. For all I know in one of his interviews he could have said "I want to be Rick Welts the President of the Warriors, not Rick Welts the gay President of the Warriors".

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have so much respect for the Burke family especially after hearing the story about Brendan. Its so sad that he was taken too soon but its good to know others have been inspired by his life.

It would have been interesting to see how his story would have played out if he had the opportunity to live a full life. His brother is young as well and is a scout for the Flyers. If Brendan had not died in the accident he could possibly have become (as far as I know) the first openly gay scout, player agent or even GM.

Rick Welts, who is the President of the Golden State Warriors came out before taking that position last year. Prior to coming out, he previously held positions such as President of the Phoenix Suns, PR director for the Seattle Supersonics and was the NBA's third highest ranking official from 1996-1999. He told his story to the New York Times last May and I thought it was a topic here at the time.

I was unaware of that, I don't pay that much (if any) attention to the NBA. Was a big deal made of it? That is big news, did Sports Center make a big deal of it?

I hadn't heard of this either, but I'm glad I know it now.

~~~~

...follow up question: Who can have the bigger impact, the openly gay athlete or the openly gay GM (boss)?

If you mean from a cultural standpoint, it's definitely the player. A GM isn't in the spotlight like a player is.

In my head I was making a case for both.

If the player is a star talent wise its win-win. If he is a garden variety no-name player it could be a case of "who cares, he sucks".

If he is the GM, many younger people couldn't care less, but also one could say he runs the team he is the boss.

Any player who comes out of the closet while he's still playing is going to be a big deal. It's not going to be a case of "who cares, he sucks" because of the nature of the story. There was a former NBA player a few years back who came out after he left the league. He certainly fell into the "who cares, he sucks" category but he still got a lot of coverage for it. I think his last name was Ameche or something like that. We've already seen that someone in the front office isn't going to generate much discussion. Rick Welts is part of the front office of an NBA team yet you, and I'm sure many more people who don't follow the NBA, had no idea it even happened.

Yes, that was John Amaechi. His coming out was met with a mixed reaction from players -- he got support from guys such as Grant Hill and Charles Barkley, but if you'll remember, Tim Hardaway had some very hateful remarks at the time.

Hill has become an outspoken gay rights advocate. He's even appearing in ads on NBA Network talking about how hurtful using terms like "gay" as an equal term to "dumb" or "stupid" can be.

spacer.png

I think someone should come out and break the mold. I in no way understand or agree with homosexuals but their still men so I don't see the issue. I would think it be worse for a player to not tell his teammates because if he would eventually let them know they might not trust him. Then they might think them elementary school thoughts about homosexuals. Just because im against something doesn't mean I have to hate and im sure most players would be the same.

1331110893' post='1765101']

I think someone should come out and break the mold. I in no way understand or agree with homosexuals but their still men so I don't see the issue. I would think it be worse for a player to not tell his teammates because if he would eventually let them know they might not trust him. Then they might think them elementary school thoughts about homosexuals. Just because im against something doesn't mean I have to hate and im sure most players would be the same.

I'm not sure I see the distinction between being against what someone is and hate.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

That's a good point. Why don't the leagues allow female referees? A woman isn't going to call Andrew Bynum clotheslining JJ Barea any differently from a man.

Isn't there a female referee in the NBA, though? Didn't the always classy, eloquent and smart Tommy Heinsohn said she needed to "get back in the kitchen" after a foul call against a Celtic.

I thought I read about a female umpire working her way to the majors a few years ago, too.

That was Cedric Maxwell.

I'm not sure I see the distinction between being against what someone is and hate.

He is basically saying (I think) that while homosexuality is not for him and on some grounds (it could be: religious, moral, or other) he has some objection to it. However, he does not hate a person for who they are or how they live their lives and will not treat them differently because of it.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

Once upon a time, there was a racist tree. Seriously, you are going to hate this tree.

High on a hill overlooking the town, the racist tree grew where the grass was half clover. Children would visit during the sunlit hours and ask for apples, and the racist tree would shake its branches and drop the delicious red fruit that gleamed without being polished. The children ate many of the racist tree?s apples and played games beneath the shade of its racist branches.

One day the children brought Sam, a boy who had just moved to town to, to play around the racist tree.

?Let Sam have an apple,? asked a little girl.

?I don?t think so. He?s black,? said the tree. This shocked the children and they spoke to the tree angrily, but it would not shake its branches to give Sam an apple, and it called him a :censored:.

?I can?t believe the racist tree is such a racist,? said one child. The children momentarily reflected that perhaps this kind of behavior was how the racist tree got its name.

It was decided that if the tree was going to deny apples to Sam then nobody would take its apples. The children stopped visiting the racist tree.

The racist tree grew quite lonely. After many solitary weeks it saw a child flying a kite across the clover field.

?Can I offer you some apples?? asked the tree eagerly.

?:censored: off, you goddamn Nazi,? said the child.

The racist tree was upset, because while it was very racist, it did not personally subscribe to Hitler?s fascist ideology. The racist tree decided that it would have to give apples to black children, not because it was tolerant, but because otherwise it would face ostracism from white children.

And so, social progress was made.

? Alexander Blechman, The Racist Tree

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Serious question; why are you "against homosexuals?"

BB52Big.jpg

What is there to agree or disagree with?

It's a very simple fact. There are men and women out there who are wired to be attracted to the same sex.

I don't expect you to understand that because you're not wired that way.

And what the heck did I do to you for you to be against who I am?

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

It's a very simple fact. There are men and women out there who are wired to be attracted to the same sex.

You're not asking me those questions are you Braden? I ask because you replied to my post. I'm with you on this. I'm just curious to hear Mr. d_hav's logic. Check that, his explanation.

BB52Big.jpg

You're not asking me those questions are you Braden? I ask because you replied to my post. I'm with you on this. I'm just curious to hear Mr. d_hav's logic. Check that, his explanation.

Pretty sure its directed towards d_hav.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

LOL Sorry bout that, those questions are intended for d-hav.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

Geesh, the guy said he doesn't feel it's his place to tell someone what they can or cannot be, even if it's personally against his beliefs. Whatever, it his personal feeling. It's mighty big of him to say that despite his beliefs, he doesn't condone people being treated unfairly because of it. That's pretty good advancement of tolerance when you consider some of the physical hate taking place. Let him alone.

What are the rules for high school sports? Would a girl be allowed to play on a boys team?(If they are good enough)

In Massachusetts, students of either gender are allowed to play on a team of the opposite gender if no such separate sport exists for them.

There are a number of boys playing on girls' field hockey, swimming and gymnastics teams.

Some girls do play baseball, but I don't know any boys playing softball.

There are a few girls playing football as well.

New Jersey apparently bars boys from girls teams, but girls can play on boys teams if the sport isn't offered. Pennsylvania has seen a huge rise in field hockey teams with boys on them including the most recent state champion which dominated with a boy at the helm.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

Geesh, the guy said he doesn't feel it's his place to tell someone what they can or cannot be, even if it's personally against his beliefs. Whatever, it his personal feeling. It's mighty big of him to say that despite his beliefs, he doesn't condone people being treated unfairly because of it. That's pretty good advancement of tolerance when you consider some of the physical hate taking place. Let him alone.

That's why I said "it's a start."

Archived