Racing Stripes on MLB Jerseys

rmackman

I thought back to how many teams had racing stripes, and really only five came to mind. The Mets, Indians, Phillies, Tigers, and Astros. Any others?

ny_g_dstrawts2_400.jpg

S2031-wide.jpg

Bagwell%201992%20Upper%20Deck%20TW%20Best%20F.jpg

20.mike-schmidt.jpg

fryman1.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought back to how many teams had racing stripes, and really only five came to mind. The Mets, Indians, Phillies, Tigers, and Astros. Any others?

ny_g_dstrawts2_400.jpg

S2031-wide.jpg

Bagwell%201992%20Upper%20Deck%20TW%20Best%20F.jpg

20.mike-schmidt.jpg

fryman1.jpg

It's funny how short-lived designs can be forgotten quickly, especially if it's not your favorite team. I have no memory whatsoever of that road Tigers uniform with the racing stripes. All the other teams I can recall, but not Detroit.

Game186LCS.jpg

Game 3, 1986 NLCS, overcast in Flushing. Also seems pretty close to white.

Also, NO PEPPER GAMES. It looks so weird without rolling ads or a green screen, but so right.

Before teams starting covering up the backstop in ad space. Such a nice sight.

I was always under the impression it was white, but if they want to say ultra light grey I'm not going to argue. I view the ultra light grey thing as a way of saying we wanted to wear white on the road and this is the lightest color we could get away with.

Also is it just me or is the guy from the second on the left in the first row asleep?

Game186LCS.jpg

Game 3, 1986 NLCS, overcast in Flushing. Also seems pretty close to white.

Also, NO PEPPER GAMES. It looks so weird without rolling ads or a green screen, but so right.

Before teams starting covering up the backstop in ad space. Such a nice sight.

I was always under the impression it was white, but if they want to say ultra light grey I'm not going to argue. I view the ultra light grey thing as a way of saying we wanted to wear white on the road and this is the lightest color we could get away with.

Also is it just me or is the guy from the second on the left in the first row asleep?

The team had two sets of nearly identical uniforms in that style: the home whites and the road off-whites (Henderson's description of the color). If you don't see them next to each other or see the teagging, it is hard to tell the difference. The off-white looks like a whiter version of cream.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Archived