Did the New Jersey Nets tease their Brooklyn logo?

TaylorMade

new nets logo just proves to me that the nba is now a thug/street ball league. terrible.

Tell us more about how you don't like black people.

Other races cant be thugs? only black people? that seems close minded to me!

There def is thugs of other races lol.

Yes, by definition. But in the CCSLC lexicon, it's just a way to say n*** without actually saying it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New article (http://www.netsdaily.com/2012/6/15/3089646/nets-gear-sales-skyrocket)

Sales of Nets gear have been going quite well but as Darren Rovell reports, the numbers are approaching absurd levels.

"In fact, on the first day that the team officially became the Brooklyn Nets (April 30), there was more gear sold that day than the amount of New Jersey Nets gear for all of the 2010-11 season," Rovell reports on CNBC.com. "The total sales volume on the first two days for the Brooklyn Nets gear was ten times the total (New Jersey Nets) sales in a typical year." Moreover, Rovell later tweeted that since the April 30 logo rollout, Nets gear was the biggest seller among NBA teams.

What makes it more remarkable, writes Rovell, is that "player merchandise" --that is uniform jerseys, shorts, etc.-- have yet to go on sale.

New article (http://www.netsdaily.com/2012/6/15/3089646/nets-gear-sales-skyrocket)

Sales of Nets gear have been going quite well but as Darren Rovell reports, the numbers are approaching absurd levels.

"In fact, on the first day that the team officially became the Brooklyn Nets (April 30), there was more gear sold that day than the amount of New Jersey Nets gear for all of the 2010-11 season," Rovell reports on CNBC.com. "The total sales volume on the first two days for the Brooklyn Nets gear was ten times the total (New Jersey Nets) sales in a typical year." Moreover, Rovell later tweeted that since the April 30 logo rollout, Nets gear was the biggest seller among NBA teams.

What makes it more remarkable, writes Rovell, is that "player merchandise" --that is uniform jerseys, shorts, etc.-- have yet to go on sale.

Rovell continues to rule over the kingdom of hyperbole.

Nothing about those statistics should be surprising. Apparel sales following a rebrand are always going to outsell the old stuff by a large margin. Why wouldn't it?

It's even more obvious in this case, since the rebrand included a change in location. Instead of existing fans replacing old gear , they're likely drawing from a new fan base buying gear for the first time. Double bonus if they're still attracting old New Jersey fans.

I'd be curious to see comparable numbers to other recent rebrands, like the Warriors. I'd bet they're closer to these Brooklyn stats than you'd think.

Football players tend to be thugs, punks, or what have you far more often than basketball players ever do. Probably because football requires that you be at least a mild sociopath whereas basketball requires that you be tall.

Try telling that to Spud Webb, Muggsy Bogues, Earl Boykins, or Nate Robinson. Hell even Allen Iverson was a "shortie", at only 6' 0".

:P

I'm 5'10'' and highly insecure about it; it's all tall to me.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm 5'10'' and highly insecure about it

Looking back, it's probably for the best that LMFAO went for that re-write.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Nothing about those statistics should be surprising. Apparel sales following a rebrand are always going to outsell the old stuff by a large margin. Why wouldn't it?

It's even more obvious in this case, since the rebrand included a change in location. Instead of existing fans replacing old gear , they're likely drawing from a new fan base buying gear for the first time. Double bonus if they're still attracting old New Jersey fans.

I'd be curious to see comparable numbers to other recent rebrands, like the Warriors. I'd bet they're closer to these Brooklyn stats than you'd think.

Its not just him reporting on this stuff though. There's been a few articles like this in the last month or so.

A search on Google for similar articles for the Warriors or Wizards rebranding turn up nothing. Maybe its just me. But you'd think other teams like to boast about this stuff to the press too if they sell 10 times as much merchandise in 2 days as they used to in one full calendar year.

Also, I don't think you're using the word hyperbole correctly - seeing as how this info is most likely based on actual data.

I also don't see any reason why New Jersey Nets gear would have sold at all in the last year. Everyone knew a rebrand was coming, so hold off for the sales if you really want NJ stuff, or wait for the new look.

It's absolutely hyperbole. There's also no other new merch from another team to compete with it, is there? There was a time long ago when I'd have to decide which redesigned MLB cap I was going to add to my collection first if more than one team did a revamp.

I'm sure their sales are great, but it should not be unexpected.

Its not just him reporting on this stuff though. There's been a few articles like this in the last month or so.

A search on Google for similar articles for the Warriors or Wizards rebranding turn up nothing. Maybe its just me. But you'd think other teams like to boast about this stuff to the press too if they sell 10 times as much merchandise in 2 days as they used to in one full calendar year.

Also, I don't think you're using the word hyperbole correctly - seeing as how this info is most likely based on actual data.

Agreed- as much as I love the Warriors' and Wizards' rebrands, if they were doing anywhere near these kinds of numbers they'd be taking out billboards across from NBA headquarters.

I also don't see any reason why New Jersey Nets gear would have sold at all in the last year. Everyone knew a rebrand was coming, so hold off for the sales if you really want NJ stuff, or wait for the new look.

Who said anything about last year? They are comparing the sales to a "typical year".

It's absolutely hyperbole. There's also no other new merch from another team to compete with it, is there? There was a time long ago when I'd have to decide which redesigned MLB cap I was going to add to my collection first if more than one team did a revamp.

I'm sure their sales are great, but it should not be unexpected.

Its not a hyperbole if its based on facts. A hyperbole is an exaggerated claim, which you can't really make if you're just reciting data like the article is doing.

Captain Brooklyn or the Brooklyn Decker or Brooky the Bridge apparently didn?t cut it for the Brooklyn Nets? new mascot which has been developed through the help of the folks at Marvel Comics, industry and team sources said. The new mascot is said to have a knight?s theme and will replace Sly Fox, who like many in the team?s New Jersey fan base will not be making the trek across two rivers to the Barclays Center. It is not known exactly when the Nets will showcase their new mascot.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/nets/knight_to_guard_nets_in_klyn_qoKEoTbJxcaTi2U2yY6P0M#ixzz1yh3lCkSv

Who said anything about last year? They are comparing the sales to a "typical year".

The article did. It said the first day sold ten times as much as 2010-11. It's just a few posts up, just like the bolded part I must have somehow missed that compared the first two days' sales to "a typical year." :) And yeah, unless he said "this is the greatest merchandising rebrand ever," I suppose hyperbole might be the wrong word. But he does say Nets gear was "the biggest seller in the NBA since April 30." Well yeah. And I'm MLB's all-time leader in home runs among people born on my exact birthdate and time. I still don't see how anyone would expect anything different from the only NBA team with a major rebrand so far this year. (And that Bobcats stuff won't make a dent.)

Rather than compare to "a typical year," how about the first year of the last Nets rebrand? Or maybe another team's major overhaul. Mavericks? Hawks? There may not be a valid comparison due to market size and mass appeal, so it may be that these numbers do result in never-before-seen levels. But the stats in this story, while impressive, are still flawed IMO.

No team is going to publicly release their numbers (the Packers do to their shareholders every year, and every year the NFL hates it).

But come on. Are you telling me that If Mark Cuban had a sales turnaround like this one, he wouldn't be crowing from the top of Dallas's tallest building? That if the owners of the Hawks got such a bump, they wouldn't have put out a press release?

The fact that no team has ever made this claim is a pretty good indication that no other team has ever been in a position to make it. At least, not in the last 20+ years of the Merchandising Era. I understand not liking the new logo, but nobody can deny its immediate effect on the team and the market.

What claim specifically? That the Nets had "the best sales of all NBA teams from April 30 to June 15"? Or that they sold more in a day than they did all last year of their lame-duck gear?

That leaves the 2 days=10x a typical year. But what is "a typical year" for this lame-duck team that you often mention not being able to sell-out Finals games 10 years ago? 1x10 is 10. Is that good? 10x10 is 100. Of course the numbers are larger, but do you see my point? It's all relative. I see no other claims in the linked story.

And this sort of hype gets released EVERY time a new jersey gets released, even the universally panned Buffaslug, if you recall. And it breeds more sales because people start to think they aren't in on it. There are a lot of holes here.

Again, not trying to rain on anybody's parade here, but I don't think the fact the Nets stuff is selling is staggering news. It's like saying that Heat fans bought 10 times more LeBron jerseys than Wade jerseys - or better yet, Zo jerseys - in the first 2 days after "The Decision"!

can't blame em. it gets the point across. BROOKLYN has a team now.

but the fact that NETS is all but hidden, they really should have just changed the team name.

If you look at Nets merchandise and even their logo set though, its pretty much split half and half whether 'Nets' or 'Brooklyn' is more prominent. So no, the 'Nets' name is certainly not hidden. It just seems that way because previously 'New Jersey' WAS practically hidden.

can't blame em. it gets the point across. BROOKLYN has a team now.

but the fact that NETS is all but hidden, they really should have just changed the team name.

If you look at Nets merchandise and even their logo set though, its pretty much split half and half whether 'Nets' or 'Brooklyn' is more prominent. So no, the 'Nets' name is certainly not hidden. It just seems that way because previously 'New Jersey' WAS practically hidden.

Their primary logo says Nets but I'm thinking that's just a "less than 50%" redesign of their old logo to avoid fees. The Brooklyn circle secondary logo im thinking is going to be for all intents their primary, and that doesn't say Nets on it at all. And I will bet anything both home and away jerseys say Brooklyn.

It's not that they dont like the name nets, it's just that it doesn't matter what the team nickname is because all they care about is promoting the word Brooklyn. That's what sells, not the name Nets.

The only reason they kept the name nets and not rebranded to knights or anything else is because now they don't have to promote 2 names, brooklyn AND knights. Nets is already an Established name in the ny area ( they never had any fans but people at least knew they existed) so now they can just focus on plastering Brooklyn everywhere.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Their primary logo says Nets but I'm thinking that's just a "less than 50%" redesign of their old logo to avoid fees. The Brooklyn circle secondary logo im thinking is going to be for all intents their primary, and that doesn't say Nets on it at all. And I will bet anything both home and away jerseys say Brooklyn.

It's not that they dont like the name nets, it's just that it doesn't matter what the team nickname is because all they care about is promoting the word Brooklyn. That's what sells, not the name Nets.

The only reason they kept the name nets and not rebranded to knights or anything else is because now they don't have to promote 2 names, brooklyn AND knights. Nets is already an Established name in the ny area ( they never had any fans but people at least knew they existed) so now they can just focus on plastering Brooklyn everywhere.

Yes, that's what I've been saying for a long time. The Brooklyn name matters most and is being heavily promoted, and the name 'Nets' is there to keep the history of the team and to keep the fans they have. But the point is that they aren't entirely ignoring the Nets name like some people are suggesting. They sell shirts that emphasize Brooklyn, and ones that emphasize Nets. People can still buy whichever they want.

Archived