Did the New Jersey Nets tease their Brooklyn logo?

TaylorMade

At first I was glad they kept the name NETS, that name has a lot of history- most recently with the Kidd-Jefferson-K.Mart era making two trips to the Finals. But at this point, I'm starting to warm up to the idea of black and white best representing Brooklyn (although gray and/or gold needs to be added) but it seems to be out of place with the word Nets. It seems like the organization is now going in two different directions- 1 with the word NETS which goes back to retro red white and blue colors and 2 with Brooklyn which goes back to black white gray gold.

It would seem to me that eventually, not in the near future, but eventually NJ will have another NBA team. Although I would hate to have seen the NETS out of the league for a little bit, it would have been better to have left the name in Jersey and started off new with Knights, Ballers, Bridges, etc,etc.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At first I was glad they kept the name NETS, that name has a lot of history- most recently with the Kidd-Jefferson-K.Mart era making two trips to the Finals. But at this point, I'm starting to warm up to the idea of black and white best representing Brooklyn (although gray and/or gold needs to be added) but it seems to be out of place with the word Nets. It seems like the organization is now going in two different directions- 1 with the word NETS which goes back to retro red white and blue colors and 2 with Brooklyn which goes back to black white gray gold.

It would seem to me that eventually, not in the near future, but eventually NJ will have another NBA team. Although I would hate to have seen the NETS out of the league for a little bit, it would have been better to have left the name in Jersey and started off new with Knights, Ballers, Bridges, etc,etc.

No, the Nets failed in NJ. There won't be another team there, ever. NJ is just not a good state for sports thats not football, with Devils and Red Bulls doing extremely well yet still losing money like crazy.

'Nets' is New York in origin, anyway.

I had this idea a few weeks ago about keeping the colors Black and White, but each season add an additional color as an accent. Maybe just in a secondary logo, or a splash of color somewhere on the uniform. But - change it every season. One season it would be Yellow, another season Red, another season Purple, Fuchsia, Turquoise, Orange, etc. That way, when you look at a photo from the past, you'd instantly know what season the picture's from.

I'd make my job of updating my database kind of annoying, but it might be interesting.

Their primary logo says Nets but I'm thinking that's just a "less than 50%" redesign of their old logo to avoid fees.

I don't see how that would be possible - that logo isn't a re-color of anything.

I don't know the exact rule of what 50% means but it seems close enough to the old primary. Its sligtly angled and recolored, but what tips me off is they are using it so sparingly that it seems like the only reason they have it at all is to avoid the fees. If they had to pay for a complete resign they would have made the secondary B-circle logo their prImary. If they paid the fees to make the shield logo their primary it was a waste of money.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Their primary logo says Nets but I'm thinking that's just a "less than 50%" redesign of their old logo to avoid fees.

I don't see how that would be possible - that logo isn't a re-color of anything.

I don't know the exact rule of what 50% means but it seems close enough to the old primary. Its sligtly angled and recolored, but what tips me off is they are using it so sparingly that it seems like the only reason they have it at all is to avoid the fees. If they had to pay for a complete resign they would have made the secondary B-circle logo their prImary. If they paid the fees to make the shield logo their primary it was a waste of money.

I don't know where you're getting the 50% from, but I've only seen that the recolor is the only thing that will avoid the new logo fee. And seeing that the only small logo changes we've seen since that rule have strictly been recolors, I don't think the 50% thing is true.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I had this idea a few weeks ago about keeping the colors Black and White, but each season add an additional color as an accent. Maybe just in a secondary logo, or a splash of color somewhere on the uniform. But - change it every season. One season it would be Yellow, another season Red, another season Purple, Fuchsia, Turquoise, Orange, etc. That way, when you look at a photo from the past, you'd instantly know what season the picture's from.

I'd make my job of updating my database kind of annoying, but it might be interesting.

I wouldn't be surprised if that came true. I believe one of the reasons this color scheme was chosen is because anything can be used as an accent. Just look at the current subway signage. Every color under the sun, plus black and white, and it looks great.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I don't know where you're getting the 50% from, but I've only seen that the recolor is the only thing that will avoid the new logo fee. And seeing that the only small logo changes we've seen since that rule have strictly been recolors, I don't think the 50% thing is true.

What about the new hornets primary? That's totally redrawn but not THAT different. I think the Nets is the same as that.

In any case, like I said if they did pay a fee for that to be their primary it makes no sense.. It'd be a waste of money. . They arent using it at all. They would have made the B-circle their primary if they did have to pay anything.

I'm thinking they did enough small changes to the old primary logo to not have to pay, slapped Brooklyn underneath so it has the city name.. And half assed their way to a primary that will never be used on merchandise and avoided the fees. Idk if 50% or whatever is the rule, but all signs point to that primary being just not different enough pass as a "recolor/small change" and no payment needed.

What about the new hornets primary? That's totally redrawn but not THAT different. I think the Nets is the same as that.

In any case, like I said if they did pay a fee for that to be their primary it makes no sense.. It'd be a waste of money. . They arent using it at all. They would have made the B-circle their primary if they did have to pay anything.

I'm thinking they did enough small changes to the old primary logo to not have to pay, slapped Brooklyn underneath so it has the city name.. And half assed their way to a primary that will never be used on merchandise and avoided the fees. Idk if 50% or whatever is the rule, but all signs point to that primary being just not different enough pass as a "recolor/small change" and no payment needed.

I don't know how you're getting the impression that they aren't using their primary.

The NBA has rules about representing city and team names in primary logos, so the Nets shield is there to satisfy rules.

But that doesn't change the fact that they ARE using that primary. Just look at their official website, the netsstore.com site, their merchandise, headwear designs, etc. The notion that they aren't using their primary is evidently false.

True - the shield logo is everywhere.

The only thing you could say is that the version with "Brooklyn" under it, the actual primary, is used least among their logos.

But that doesn't support his argument at all.

I see the primary logo on places where all NBA teams use their primary like nba.com and league designed merchandise. But when the team is branding itself I see the circle B only. For example I expect the circle b to be the centercourt logo.

I see the primary logo on places where all NBA teams use their primary like nba.com and league designed merchandise. But when the team is branding itself I see the circle B only. For example I expect the circle b to be the centercourt logo.

Perhaps at center-court (it does seem well-designed for that), but other than that I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Their own merchandise site (not the NBA one) displays the shield logo right at the top:

2049059-Brooklyn-Nets-Merch-2.png

Yes, they also use the alternate circle a lot. Including in some high-profile applications. This is one that's getting a lot of play at the moment:

image.jpg

But they also use their shield logo a lot, in similarly high-profile applications. I ride by a half-dozen Nets signs and billboards on my way to work every day, and all have the shield logo.

tumblr_m4uh2gLBiX1qfxy9xo1_500.jpgleeto.jpg20120430061brooklynnets.jpg

I don't see any evidence that the shield is just contractually required by the NBA and the circle is actually the team's preferred logo, to be used whenever they have a say in it. That's the shield-without-city-name.

Perhaps at center-court (it does seem well-designed for that), but other than that I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Their own merchandise site (not the NBA one) displays the shield logo right at the top:

2049059-Brooklyn-Nets-Merch-2.png

Yes, they also use the alternate circle a lot. Including in some high-profile applications. This is one that's getting a lot of play at the moment:

image.jpg

But they also use their shield logo a lot, in similarly high-profile applications. I ride by a half-dozen Nets signs and billboards on my way to work every day, and all have the shield logo.

tumblr_m4uh2gLBiX1qfxy9xo1_500.jpgleeto.jpg20120430061brooklynnets.jpg

I don't see any evidence that the shield is just contractually required by the NBA and the circle is actually the team's preferred logo, to be used whenever they have a say in it. That's the shield-without-city-name.

Let's see how it plays out in a year or two. I don't expect the see that shield logo much at all... Especially since they didn't even bother working the name Brooklyn into it (design-wise) to qualify it as a real primary logo. My feelings are the circle b becomes their most used logo, if not technically their primary.

Either way though I still believe the only reason they have the shield logo at all is because it qualifies as a "recolor" of their old logo from the NBA perspective. Maybe they are using it more than I've seen.. (I'm in jersey and have really only seen the circle b logo on branding and merchandise in the nj/ny area the past month or so) but I still think the the nets consider the circle b their go-to logo.

The screenshot of the store u posted is really misleading.. On that one slider image it does show a lot of shields.. But If u go to the site and click on the images of merchandise you'll see it's really 90% circle b logos and just te word mark Brooklyn.. Hardly any shields.

Does that 2nd nets billboard have graffiti already? Or is that part of the billboard design?

I still believe the only reason they have the shield logo at all is because it qualifies as a "recolor" of their old logo from the NBA perspective. Maybe they are using it more than I've seen..

You'll have to tell me why you think this qualifies as a "recolor", since it only shares one shape with the previous logo, and even that not really. Even if the mythical "50% Rule" was really a rule, and I don't know that it is, this can't possibly qualify.

And yes, they are using it more than it would appear that you've seen. In NYC, they use the shield logos more than any other. Even in situations 100% within their control, like their own online store (the store graphics themselves, not the products).

There was a Brooklyn Nets tickets commercial on NBA TV this morning and it finished with the shield logo. The round logo appeared earlier in the commercial, but the main element at the end was the shield logo and "Hello Brooklyn." Also, NBA TV graphics were using the shield with brooklyn under it, which did not particularly work alongside the other logos that appeared beside it. The shield alone would have fit fine, I believe.

They'll figure it out, but the shield does not appear to be the ignored piece that so many other primaries have become post-redesign.

I still believe the only reason they have the shield logo at all is because it qualifies as a "recolor" of their old logo from the NBA perspective. Maybe they are using it more than I've seen..

You'll have to tell me why you think this qualifies as a "recolor", since it only shares one shape with the previous logo, and even that not really. Even if the mythical "50% Rule" was really a rule, and I don't know that it is, this can't possibly qualify.

And yes, they are using it more than it would appear that you've seen. In NYC, they use the shield logos more than any other. Even in situations 100% within their control, like their own online store (the store graphics themselves, not the products).

It's the same shape just without the 3D effect, same word mark placement above a basketball. I would say that this logo is the same type of redesign that the new hornets primary is. Updated, modified, recolor, whatever u want to call it. Yes it's not a straight recolor like the jazz or nuggets but it's not a radical redesign. And the reason I believe it qualifies within the mythical 50% rule is because if it didn't I don't think it would exist at all... They would have made an all new logo or used the b circle as the primary.

If they had to pay a fee for the primary logo then they would have actually designed one, not used this slightly modified and recolored version of the old one.

As far as 50% goes, a think a simple jazz or nuggets recolor is about a 5 or 10% change,The hornets maybe did a 25% change ... so this new nets primary is definitely less than 50% different.

There was a Brooklyn Nets tickets commercial on NBA TV this morning and it finished with the shield logo. The round logo appeared earlier in the commercial, but the main element at the end was the shield logo and "Hello Brooklyn." Also, NBA TV graphics were using the shield with brooklyn under it, which did not particularly work alongside the other logos that appeared beside it. The shield alone would have fit fine, I believe.

They'll figure it out, but the shield does not appear to be the ignored piece that so many other primaries have become post-redesign.

That's exactly where I've mainly seen the shield, on places like an nba tv graphic where it's basically "insert primary logo here". That explains why the Brooklyn text under the shield is there because they are using the technical primary logo. But I firmly believe that the nets want the circle b logo to be their preferred logo, and the shield only exists to avoid a rebranding fee.

Except we've already established that what you've seen them do with their logo package isn't necessarily a good sample of what they're actaully doing with it.

The shield is everywhere, even many places controlled by the team and not the league. Places where they could use what they want, and they sure as heck seem to want to use the shield.

And the reason I believe it qualifies within the mythical 50% rule is because if it didn't I don't think it would exist at all... They would have made an all new logo or used the b circle as the primary.

But you're wrong. Demonstrably so.

They did create a primary logo that's seldom-used to fulfill whispered-and-rumored NBA logo regulations. It looks like this:

brooklyn-nets-logo-0.jpg

Therefore, we know with some certaintly that they didn't create the shield logo for that purpose. Even if they didn't use the simple shield all over the freaking place.

Archived