Prelude to Denver Broncos new duds?

jhans203

I am surprised at what they have there on the front page. Aren't the Broncos going to orange for the primary this year?

>>>

Yes, they are going to orange, but the navy will be their alternate jersey to be worn twice a season.

Same as when the Titans flip-flopped their primary and alternates some years back. (that one was a mistake IMO)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The knicks also have two no. 15s, but all of those NY cases don't involve a number being unretired... When graves, yogi, monroe, and Mariano wore 9, 8, 15 and 42 those numbers had not been retired yet.

Taking a number out of retirement is wrong even if the player gives permission and even if he insists, Peyton should have politely said no. I really hate the Jackie Robinson games where everyone wears 42 because the whole point of retiring the number is that no one will ever wear it again to honor that player, to have anyone wear it no matter what the reason cheapens the whole honor.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

I am surprised at what they have there on the front page. Aren't the Broncos going to orange for the primary this year?

>>>

Yes, they are going to orange, but the navy will be their alternate jersey to be worn twice a season.

Same as when the Titans flip-flopped their primary and alternates some years back. (that one was a mistake IMO)

They are actually changing the uniforms according to an article that pointed out that Manning Jerseys won't be made until the new unis are released in mid- April

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

The Broncos are changing to Nike and going to the orange. That's it. The fact that Manning jerseys won't be available until mid-April is a supply issue.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

>>>

Broncos going back to orange is a mistake as well. At least in the current design.

>>>

They are actually changing the uniforms according to an article that pointed out that Manning Jerseys won't be made until the new unis are released in mid- April

This is the first I have heard of that. Do you have a link to support what you're saying? It's my understanding from everything I have read that everything is the same except orange is now their primary and blue is the alternate.

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

The Broncos are changing to Nike and going to the orange. That's it. The fact that Manning jerseys won't be available until mid-April is a supply issue.

The article I read mentions they are being previewed then. That's why I believe it will be a new uniform.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

The article I read mentions they are being previewed then. That's why I believe it will be a new uniform.

What article? Can you link it?

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

I still tend to think that it was the wrong decision. Just as I think it was wrong for Jerry Rice to wear #80 in Seattle.

Agreed. I'll be curious to hear Manning's reaction in 25 years when some star asks to wear 18 when HE joins the Colts.

There's a difference, in my opinion. Tripucka wasn't any great shakes, and his #18 was retired largely because he was the first ever "face of the franchise." Tripucka only started for the Broncos for their first three years, and won only 13 total games in a Broncos uniform (although he did manage to throw 85 interceptions as a Bronco). Manning is arguably the best QB of all time. I'd consider his Colts #18 far more sacrosanct than Tripucka's Broncos #18.

While Largent's #80 in Seattle was far more like Manning's Colts #18, since Largent held most receiving records when he retired, at least it was unretired for the guy who broke all Largent's records.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

I think you might be reading too much into it - all teams are having their new uniforms previewed on April 3rd. Even the ones who will have no changes beyond those dictated by Nike's construction templates.

There are plenty of cheap Broncos jerseys around without side panels on them. Since that NFL page doesn't even try to call the jersey a "replica" or anything, it seems silly to read into it that it's some kind of sneak preview of a design change.

I still tend to think that it was the wrong decision. Just as I think it was wrong for Jerry Rice to wear #80 in Seattle.

Agreed. I'll be curious to hear Manning's reaction in 25 years when some star asks to wear 18 when HE joins the Colts.

There's a difference, in my opinion. Tripucka wasn't any great shakes, and his #18 was retired largely because he was the first ever "face of the franchise." Tripucka only started for the Broncos for their first three years, and won only 13 total games in a Broncos uniform (although he did manage to throw 85 interceptions as a Bronco). Manning is arguably the best QB of all time. I'd consider his Colts #18 far more sacrosanct than Tripucka's Broncos #18.

While Largent's #80 in Seattle was far more like Manning's Colts #18, since Largent held most receiving records when he retired, at least it was unretired for the guy who broke all Largent's records.

If it's retired, it's retired. You can't say later "well this guy is better." So if Tom Brady goes to the Colts for his last season and says he wants 18, he deserves it because he won more Super Bowls? Where do you draw the line? Simple: if you retire a number it is retired. This isn't difficult.

Otherwise unretire them all and switch to the Cowboys model. It's what the Suns, Seahawks, Marlins and now Broncos should all do now, because they've rendered their retired numbers meaningless.

If it's retired, it's retired. You can't say later "well this guy is better." So if Tom Brady goes to the Colts for his last season and says he wants 18, he deserves it because he won more Super Bowls? Where do you draw the line? Simple: if you retire a number it is retired. This isn't difficult.

Otherwise unretire them all and switch to the Cowboys model. It's what the Suns, Seahawks, Marlins and now Broncos should all do now, because they've rendered their retired numbers meaningless.

Tripucka asked Manning to wear the number, so who cares?

IUe6Hvh.png

If you believe that. Which I'm not sure I do.

I agree. It was a good spin for the press conference, but whether or not that's how it really went down... who knows. We'll just have to take Manning at his word, but some "18 needs to be unretired by the Broncos" stories were floated well before he signed.

Here's the LA Times story I referenced earlier that said he had 14 and 16 jerseys ready:

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/mar/20/sports/la-sp-peyton-manning-broncos-20120321

They ought to auction those off for charity... if they really exist. :)

Archived