Prelude to Denver Broncos new duds?

jhans203

Here's a question... why did Manning choose 18 for the Colts anyways? 16 was available as far as I can tell.

If I remember right, 18 was Peyton's number in high school. It was also the number his father, Archie, wore as a college QB at Ole Miss, and if my memory serves correct, I believe it was also the number of his older brother Cooper while he was in high school.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still tend to think that it was the wrong decision. Just as I think it was wrong for Jerry Rice to wear #80 in Seattle.

Agreed. I'll be curious to hear Manning's reaction in 25 years when some star asks to wear 18 when HE joins the Colts.

Tripuka told Manning he would be honored and wanted Peyton to wear it. Peyton told him he didn't want to, but Tripuka insisted. So Peyton did so to honor Tripuka. In his press conference he said as much, and that he respects the history. You make it sound like he called Tripuka to beg him into wearing it.

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

I still tend to think that it was the wrong decision. Just as I think it was wrong for Jerry Rice to wear #80 in Seattle.

Agreed. I'll be curious to hear Manning's reaction in 25 years when some star asks to wear 18 when HE joins the Colts.

Tripuka told Manning he would be honored and wanted Peyton to wear it. Peyton told him he didn't want to, but Tripuka insisted. So Peyton did so to honor Tripuka. In his press conference he said as much, and that he respects the history. You make it sound like he called Tripuka to beg him into wearing it.

If he respected history, he wouldn't ask to have a number un-retired. The fact that he asked about it at all is wrong in my mind.

It's where I sit.

If he respected history, he wouldn't ask to have a number un-retired. The fact that he asked about it at all is wrong in my mind.

I don't think he ever asked. I'm pretty sure Tripucka originally came out and said he would let Manning wear it if he wanted. Then when they talked on the phone, he insisted that Manning wear 18. If that's actually how it went down, I think it would have been more disrespectful if he didn't wear 18.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Nobody should have even talked to or entertained Tripucka, Peyton should have just moved forward and took #16, his college number, and let 18 stay retired.

He offered and, if the LA Times report is to be believed, insisted once Peyton actually signed. This isn't on Peyton at all.

Or he successfully spun it that way, based on the reaction here. I agree with those that say a number should stay retired. Too many are getting unretired these days: The Suns' 33 for Grant Hill, the Marlins' offer of No. 5 for Pujols, which led to Logan Morrison getting it unretired, and now Manning. I don't care why a team does it, or who it's done for, don't retire numbers for anybody if there is a situation in which you will unretire it.

I prefer what Karl Malone did. Magic Johnson offered him 32, and I believe Malone even held it up at the press conference, but ultimately he wore 11.

Here's a question... why did Manning choose 18 for the Colts anyways? 16 was available as far as I can tell.

If I remember right, 18 was Peyton's number in high school. It was also the number his father, Archie, wore as a college QB at Ole Miss, and if my memory serves correct, I believe it was also the number of his older brother Cooper while he was in high school.

It was indeed Archie's number at Ole Miss and IIRC that's the reason Peyton cited. Don't know about the other things.

Of course Archie wore #8 with the Saints. Why? His college number was taken.

new-orleans-saints-hugo-hollas-51-topps-1973-nfl-american-football-trading-card-32702-p.jpg

It would bother my wife that I remember who had 18 then. :D

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Or he successfully spun it that way, based on the reaction here. I agree with those that say a number should stay retired. Too many are getting unretired these days: The Suns' 33 for Grant Hill, the Marlins' offer of No. 5 for Pujols, which led to Logan Morrison getting it unretired, and now Manning. I don't care why a team does it, or who it's done for, don't retire numbers for anybody if there is a situation in which you will unretire it.

I prefer what Karl Malone did. Magic Johnson offered him 32, and I believe Malone even held it up at the press conference, but ultimately he wore 11.

I too agree that retired numbers should stay retired no matter who it's for who's number was retired; but it sounds like Manning didn't want to and only did it to honor Tripucka. He even said, "It would mean a lot to me if you'd wear it."

I'm glad that scum Karl Malone didn't wear 32. Malone, hall-of-fame basketball player and no doubt he was a good one, but he was and is a douchebag. Not even close to being the player/person Magic was/is.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Look at the Manning and Tebow Jerseys

Anyone else notice in the NFL Shop website on the top banner with Manning and Tebow jerseys, the Tebow one is normal sans missing 15 but the Manning jersey is missing the side panels? I know one is Pro Line (Broncos) and one says Reebok (Jets) but could this be an indication?

manning_tebow_aspot_outlet.jpg

Much as I would love that to be true, I think you're reading too much into it.

Looks like they mocked up a Manning Pro Line jersey in the women's style:

p12578116dt.jpg

p12196336dt.jpg

And FWIW, that blue one is a tshirt:

p12568987dt.jpg

You're just flat out wrong on this one. Manning didn't "ask" Tripuca. Tripuca came out even before the deal was finalized saying he wanted Manning to wear it. Manning talked to him and Frank insisted and said he would be honored. Manning said so in his PC, are you calling him a liar?

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

He wanted to wear 18 at Tennessee, but DeRon Jenkins had it (and offered to change for him, the #1 QB in the country), so Manning took 16 and decided not to change once Jenkins graduated. When he went to the Colts, he was able to go back to his preferred number. 16 is now retired at Tennessee.

He wanted to wear 18 at Tennessee, but DeRon Jenkins had it (and offered to change for him, the #1 QB in the country), so Manning took 16 and decided not to change once Jenkins graduated. When he went to the Colts, he was able to go back to his preferred number. 16 is now retired at Tennessee.

i think everyone is right here, but to add to the #18 thing, it WAS Cooper's number in HS and once it was determined Cooper could no longer play, Peyton took the number as he was "playing for Cooper".

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

>>>>

Appears that many of you didn't watch the press conference when Peyton was unveiled as a Bronco.

He initiated the number issue and specifically said that he's a big believer that once a jersey number has been retired it should stay retired. He then followed up by stating that Mr Tripuka called him and requested that he please wear his number 18 as it would be such an honor to him. It was only then that Peyton agreed to take the # 18.

Jerry Rice on the other hand initiated communication with Steve Largent and pleaded with him for his retired # 80 and Largent agreed to it. At the time and to this very day I still am appalled by the audacity of Jerry Rice. I remember it like it was yesterday because it was Rice who was the aggressor in that entire ordeal. The Seahawks front office should have never let that occur.

Manning has no ego and is one of the most humble athletes in the NFL. Jerry Rice was greatest WR I've ever seen, but over the hill when joining Oakland, Seattle, and Denver and I felt at the time and still do that he had some gall for seeking Steve Largent's retired number.

In response to another post, both 16 and 18 were available in Indy back in '98 when Peyton was a rookie. I was surprised at the time when he didn't go with his Vol # 16.

Isn't it kind of like Manning is saying, "sure, you (old number 18) were ok but I'm so good I deserve to have your number regardless of what you did way back when"?

To me the only instance when I think it's ok is when a son takes a dad's number like Ken Griffey Jr. did with the Reds.

Archived