NCAA Tournament Courts

PhlyBoy

For the last couple years the NCAA has made every court for the tournament the same except for the names of the cities and the Final Four (obviously we all knew that already)

but this year the for the Sweet 16/Elite 8 in Boston, they used a Parquet flooring.

147617_melt.jpg

Kind of a crummy picture of it but you can still see

Very Nice touch considering the history there

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kinda defeats the purpose of having uniform court designs, doesn't it?

(Don't get me wrong, it's a nice touch, but still.)

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

I hate the standardized court design and welcome this whole-heartedly. I wouldn't mind if the NCAA wanted to simply plop their logo at midcourt but leave everything the same, but having each court look the same really hurts the viewing experience when you have to keep an eye on the baseline to see where the game is being played.

I wonder if they simply replicated the parquet flooring of TD Garden, or simply applied the "much hated among coaches and players" decals to the floor?

I'm going to assume(!) that it's a whole new floor. The keys have to be different as well. Plus, there would probably be a lot of inequity cries if other cities received all new floors while Boston just got decals.

I hate the standardized court design and welcome this whole-heartedly. I wouldn't mind if the NCAA wanted to simply plop their logo at midcourt but leave everything the same, but having each court look the same really hurts the viewing experience when you have to keep an eye on the baseline to see where the game is being played.

Agreed.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I actually like the standardized courts that the NCAA has been using. It gives the tournament a special feel that I think conveys the importance of the games. Some of the old courts made it really distracting when there was a huge midcourt logo or distracting designs on the court that almost made the game hard to watch. One game that stands out to me for this was the Illinois/Arizona Elite 8 matchup at Allstate Arena. The giant blue demon in the middle of the court was distracting, especially when it contrasted with the colors of both teams in the game.

That being said, I love that they used the parquet in Boston. It's a nice touch that keeps the character of the court, but is still able to accommodate the NCAA marks. A perfect exception to the rule.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I actually like the standardized courts that the NCAA has been using. It gives the tournament a special feel that I think conveys the importance of the games. Some of the old courts made it really distracting when there was a huge midcourt logo or distracting designs on the court that almost made the game hard to watch. One game that stands out to me for this was the Illinois/Arizona Elite 8 matchup at Allstate Arena. The giant blue demon in the middle of the court was distracting, especially when it contrasted with the colors of both teams in the game.

That being said, I love that they used the parquet in Boston. It's a nice touch that keeps the character of the court, but is still able to accommodate the NCAA marks. A perfect exception to the rule.

Exactly. People act like it's really hard to look on the baseline to see where the game is. The standard floors make it seem like the NCAA tournament, not a local tournament at some random gym.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

I think the regionals should all have standardized courts, and once teams get to the Final Four, the court should showcase the city. Much like the Women's Final Four.

Example:

womens-f4-2008.jpg

I like that floor, but I wonder how many players accidentally stepped out of bounds in the corner where the peach leaves are located? It's hard to see the inbounds line.

Exactly. People act like it's really hard to look on the baseline to see where the game is. The standard floors make it seem like the NCAA tournament, not a local tournament at some random gym.

The multiple neutral locations are a huge part of what makes the NCAA tournament unique and standardized courts take away from that. I could even live with a standard design if they'd just allow the colors to match whatever school happens to be hosting.

I agree with BillyB and Drew22. While the court is very boring and could use some more color (I'm a huge fan of colors and big center logos like at Kansas) but I think the courts they have now in the tournament are a good idea. If they would go back to how it used to be, it would have NIT feel to me and thats not what they would want. The new courts are just simple, not taking anything away from the game. You turn on the channel of the games and you instantly know its the tournament. But a also agree that the Final Four should be a special court with a theme of the local city and everything.

I agree with BillyB and Drew22. While the court is very boring and could use some more color (I'm a huge fan of colors and big center logos like at Kansas) but I think the courts they have now in the tournament are a good idea. If they would go back to how it used to be, it would have NIT feel to me and thats not what they would want. The new courts are just simple, not taking anything away from the game. You turn on the channel of the games and you instantly know its the tournament. But a also agree that the Final Four should be a special court with a theme of the local city and everything.

They could at least vary the colors a little. Like the east region has blue font, west region red, south gold, something along those lines.

Tf9TG.jpg

I always liked seeing other courts of the country growing up watching the tourney. Funniest memory was seeing UTSA 's floor in alamodome for Regionals one year.

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

They could at least vary the colors a little. Like the east region has blue font, west region red, south gold, something along those lines.

yeah a little color variation would go a long way and seem like a decent compromise for the ncaa branding

Buildings host multiple regions. For instance Greensboro had UNC, Vermont, Alabama, and Creighton from the Midwest. They also had Duke, Lehigh, Xavier, and Notre Dame from the South Region.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Archived