NCAA Tournament Courts

PhlyBoy

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always liked seeing other courts of the country growing up watching the tourney. Funniest memory was seeing UTSA 's floor in alamodome for Regionals one year.

Yeah, I remember Greensboro always had this Green/Purple/Blue floor. I loved it.

Coliseumweb.png

Poor you. You don't know about the earlier days before Greensboro Coliseum expanded the upper bowl and the court was just royal/gold.

I actually like the standardized courts that the NCAA has been using. It gives the tournament a special feel that I think conveys the importance of the games. Some of the old courts made it really distracting when there was a huge midcourt logo or distracting designs on the court that almost made the game hard to watch. One game that stands out to me for this was the Illinois/Arizona Elite 8 matchup at Allstate Arena. The giant blue demon in the middle of the court was distracting, especially when it contrasted with the colors of both teams in the game.

That being said, I love that they used the parquet in Boston. It's a nice touch that keeps the character of the court, but is still able to accommodate the NCAA marks. A perfect exception to the rule.

I, too, love the standardized courts. But the NCAA needs to take it a step further and standardize the team uniforms; have the higher seed wear a white "NCAA" uniform and the lower seed wear a blue "NCAA" uniform. It would give the tournament even more of a special feel and would further convey the importance of the games. Some of the team uniforms are really distracting when they feature unusual colors or team names. If the NCAA could just make every game look exactly the same, it would make me really happy.

glare.gif your cool

I really hope he was being sarcastic, otherwise it could be one of the all-time worst posts on this message board.

Tf9TG.jpg

I'm more for the old school, but I understand the reasoning. If it was up to me, it would either be colorized by host, or with the technology, have the arena/host send photos to the flooring company, have the flooring company make the necessary changes, and there you have it.

What I think the colors should be this year:

First Four - Dayton - red/blue

Albuquerque - dark red/silver

Portland - green/yellow

Pittsburgh - blue/red

Louisville - black/red

Nashville - red/white

Greensboro - dark blue/white

Omaha - blue/white

Columbus - red/white

Boston - brown/yellow (parquet of course)

Phoenix - yellow/red

Atlanta - black/yellow

St. Louis - blue/white

Final Fours stays what they're doing

Another idea could be to have one design for the first three rounds and another design for the regionals...make the regional courts fancier somehow.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

I went to the games in Pittsburgh this year and they even made them cover up the Mitsubishi Electric text at the bottom of the video board.

It drives me nuts when they should old tourney highlights and you see all the cool designs they used to have, like Boise State's pinwheel. Man, they had a 1st/2nd round matchup like every other year.

1zgyd8w.jpg

My station sent me up to Dayton to cover Lamar and I was surprised to see their city name, arena name, and Dayton Flyers logo were all actually decals considering I was told they make new courts every year. It wasn't nearly as cheaply done as you see with the big decals on the baseline during conference tournaments instead every later in DAYTON and UD ARENA were seperate stickers.

I'm more for the old school, but I understand the reasoning. If it was up to me, it would either be colorized by host, or with the technology, have the arena/host send photos to the flooring company, have the flooring company make the necessary changes, and there you have it.

What I think the colors should be this year:

First Four - Dayton - red/blue

Albuquerque - dark red/silver

Portland - green/yellow

Pittsburgh - blue/red

Louisville - black/red

Nashville - red/white

Greensboro - dark blue/white

Omaha - blue/white

Columbus - red/white

Boston - brown/yellow (parquet of course)

Phoenix - yellow/red

Atlanta - black/yellow

St. Louis - blue/white

Final Fours stays what they're doing

That would, in part, require them to make brand new courts for each first-weekend site each year. As it is, they keep the courts in storage and reuse them every year. Much more cost-effective.

Yes, those fonts are much easier to read. Makes the standardized court a little more tolerable, especially since they also include the host school logo more prominently on the court (which they could do in the regionals since they are new courts every year.)

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

I actually like the regular floors better than the parquet floor in Boston.

Also, I noticed the women's tournament floors still feature the host's logo on the floor near center court, instead of the corner of the baseline like the men's.

Because a parquet floor is ugly in any context outside of Celtics basketball. It looks cheap.

Here's this year's final four court. Looks rather basic. Instead of blue, they went with green at the top of the key and out of bounds areas. Looks like the NCAA is still going with including the host city's previous year's final four logos.

465605_10151417480375459_297090315458_23325359_423519445_o1.jpg

I like it.

Probably could have used a bit more color but at the same time the colors they did use work well together and its not too busy. Its just a clean classic look.

Reminds me alot of the last floor the Sonics had which I thought was one of if not the best court in the NBA.

Archived