The Rite of Spring

The_Admiral

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phoenix comes to Nashville and takes a 3-1 series lead.

Pekka Rinne shut out Phoenix in Game 3, and Mike Smith returned the favor tonight. That's the hockey we expected at the beginning of the series.

Phoenix one game away from the Western Conference Final. Who would've expected that after their debacle of a series in 2011 and the departure of Ilya Bryzgalov?

spacer.png

Coyotes do what they set out to and have a chance to end it at home on Monday! Mike Smith played amazing and the defense as a whole really did a great job blocking passes and shots. I cant believe the Yotes are only 1 win away from the Western Finals! Go Desert Dogs!

PopHeading-1.gif

As someone who's been a fan of the Coyotes ("shared fanship" with Anaheim and Colorado) since childhood, this is really cool. I honestly did not expect this at all - I thought it would be Nashville in Phoenix's position at this point. But besides that, having never seen a whole lot of success in Phoenix, I'm thrilled that they have a shot to get to the cup. With my two other teams having won thier cups, my third rounding 'em off would be very, very awesome. I still think the Kings are in line to win the West, as I mentioned earlier today, but I'm going to keep rootin' for the 'Yotes.

And before anyone throws the "bandwagoner lolz!" or "Yotestroll!!" label on me; I got a black Picassoyote jersey for my 11th birthday - in 2003. That should tell you I'm a longtimer and no bandwagoner.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Did I miss the part of this thread where people are complaining about the fact that the Kings had a losing regular-season record and are only in the playoffs because of their 15 OTLs? Or is that talk reserved only for the Panthers? :)

LA's 65-minute record is 34-33-15, their goal differential was 9th in the league, and their goals against was 2nd. The Panthers' was 32-33-17, their differential ranked 20th, their scoring 27th, their goals against 12th. By rights they should've finished well behind the woeful Canadiens. They're probably the worst playoff team the league has seen since the 16-out-of-21 era. Don't apologize.

Okay, I'm bad at math. Still, there's no need to apologize because it's not like 34-33-15 is so much better than 32-33-17. Just found it interesting that the playoff team with the second most OTLs (that were so derided for the other team) is getting a coronation in the second round. Just an observation, and one delivered with a smile at that. I'll happily buy you the Coke later.

Also, people weren't as hard on the Kings because they had a Vezina candidate singlehandedly willing an utterly punchless team most of the year, which is a more favorable narrative than "mediocre Frankenteam that wins small and loses big doesn't always necessarily lose in regulation."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Well, Florida was 36-36, and somehow not only procured a playoff spot but won their division despite a 2-8 stumble down the stretch.

LA was 40-40 before losing a pair of OT/SO affairs to the Sharks, including the one game where Ryane Clowe and the referees absolutely hosed them. I mean, sub-.500 playoff teams are one of my biggest pet peeves in all of sports (so much so that I would have a hard time rooting for my team if they qualified under such criteria), LA was just a bounce or two away from a 42-40 record as they were from their 40-42 record.

That said, I agree with your POV. I've had a hard time really getting behind LA this postseason, even if they were playing Vancouver at one point. Their 46-36 team of 2011 was clearly better, but couldn't win a home game in three tries vs. San Jose. Maybe this is the evening out process.

spacer.png

A Kings-Coyotes WCF is two games away. Wow.

And I'm loving every minute of it.

You must've been a big Jacques Martin fan when he was around.

No, at least not during his last year. And who isn't loving this Coyotes miracle playoff run? Couldn't of came at a better time!

No, at least not during his last year. And who isn't loving this Coyotes miracle playoff round? Couldn't of came at a better time!

I can tell you that The admiral isn't loving the Coyotes playoff run!

That Ryane Clowe play should've been a penalty, but it's not like an odd man rush was developing. (However, our PK was expectedly brutal that game, so LA probably would've scored). The LA series last year was kind of bizarre. Without Kopitar oddly enough, their problem wasn't lack of goals; they scored and surrendered 20 in 6. With that said, Quick deserves major props for taking the next step in the playoffs this year.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

No, at least not during his last year. And who isn't loving

this Coyotes miracle playoff round? Couldn't of came at a better time!

On an AZ Wildcat basketball message board, on a hockey thread, SDRB(aka Kevin W) was crying after every Blackhawk loss saying whah it's a conspiracy, whah the refs suck, whah see you in Quebec.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

No, at least not during his last year. And who isn't loving

this Coyotes miracle playoff round? Couldn't of came at a better time!

On an AZ Wildcat basketball message board, on a hockey thread, SDRB(aka Kevin W) was crying after every Blackhawk loss saying whah it's a conspiracy, whah the refs suck, whah see you in Quebec.

PM me the link

Hey, if you don't want the perception of impropriety, don't have a terrible organization miraculously succeed after you buy them out of bankruptcy and move mountains to keep them from relocating. The league brings it on itself.

Hey, if you don't want the perception of impropriety, don't have a terrible organization miraculously succeed after you buy them out of bankruptcy and move mountains to keep them from relocating. The league brings it on itself.

The guy in the blue polo shirt is the Coyotes.

anim_040d06ba-0611-bac4-cd7b-50fc54ad382 

Archived