The Rite of Spring

The_Admiral

"First off' date=' I hope he?s all right. But as far as the hit goes, I felt like it was a hockey play."[/quote']

Hopefully Torres gets a 'hockey play' in game 4 that puts him on IR.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like there's a black cloud over this entire postseason, really. On top of that, there's a second black cloud over Phoenix, in that the legitimacy of the game is in question due to the NHL's ongoing interest in extorting money from Glendale out of personal pride and status quo maintenance. This whole thing is Slap Shot bad. This is the worst sports league.

The only place I see/hear this cloud is on here and from you.

You've drunk way to much of the Coyotes Kool-Aid if you don't see that the Coyotes are a financial black hole, and that the situation regarding their finances and ownership troubles have been botched by both the Glendale city council and the NHL.

I get that it's super sweet to have NHL hockey nearby that you can get tickets to, but come on. The clusterf*** that is the Coyotes' existence is evident beyond this message board.

Of course, I don't think that every single play in every single game is rigged to help the Coyotes win. MLB was more open about its desire to destroy baseball in Montreal than the NHL has been about its desire to save hockey in Phoenix, and the Expos still won like 85 games in '03. But the point is, should we have to wonder if any play has something business-related behind it? Between Shanahan and the refs in this series, it's been eyebrow-raising.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I feel like there's a black cloud over this entire postseason, really. On top of that, there's a second black cloud over Phoenix, in that the legitimacy of the game is in question due to the NHL's ongoing interest in extorting money from Glendale out of personal pride and status quo maintenance. This whole thing is Slap Shot bad. This is the worst sports league.

You've drunk way to much of the Coyotes Kool-Aid if you don't see that the Coyotes are a financial black hole, and that the situation regarding their finances and ownership troubles have been botched by both the Glendale city council and the NHL.

I get that it's super sweet to have NHL hockey nearby that you can get tickets to, but come on. The clusterf*** that is the Coyotes' existence is evident beyond this message board.

That's not what I was referring to. I know all that. I completely understand all that. Trust me I do. You could go back into the Coyotes thread and see that while I do enjoy the perk of local NHL hockey, I also understand (and at times have advocated) that they move on to greener pastures.

I was referring to the idea that because the NHL owns the Coyotes that the games are somehow rigged in their favor and that their legitimacy is in question.

Do we sit around wondering if the Dallas Stars games were rigged? or in the NBA, if the Hornets are being rigged? (Eh, well. Chris Paul trade was rigged, but going the other way. But whatever) Or if the Sac. Kings are going to be rigged? Or if the Texas Rangers were rigged in building back-to-back AL Champs?

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

or in the NBA, if the Hornets are being rigged?

That Chris Paul situation might be worth referencing here.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I went and edited that as you were typing that out, but that was one incident and it didn't exactly make the Hornets good. The CP3 thing was manipulating the league as a whole via the Hornets, not necessarily rigging the Hornets to go win a title.

That's not what I was referring to. I know all that. I completely understand all that. Trust me I do. You could go back into the Coyotes thread and see that while I do enjoy the perk of local NHL hockey, I also understand (and at times have advocated) that they move on to greener pastures.

I was referring to the idea that because the NHL owns the Coyotes that the games are somehow rigged in their favor and that their legitimacy is in question.

Do we sit around wondering if the Dallas Stars games were rigged? or in the NBA, if the Hornets are being rigged? (Eh, well. Chris Paul trade was rigged, but going the other way. But whatever) Or if the Sac. Kings are going to be rigged? Or if the Texas Rangers were rigged in building back-to-back AL Champs?

Well, it doesn't look good when a league owned team succeeds (Coyotes) or is intentionally geared to fail (Expos).

Leagues shouldn't own teams.

Well, it doesn't look good when a league owned team succeeds (Coyotes) or is intentionally geared to fail (Expos).

Leagues shouldn't own teams.

Bingo.

But again, just because a league owns a team, doesn't mean that it's being rigged one way or the other.

I went and edited that as you were typing that out, but that was one incident and it didn't exactly make the Hornets good. The CP3 thing was manipulating the league as a whole via the Hornets, not necessarily rigging the Hornets to go win a title.

True, but it still holds sway with the argument at hand, I just missed your post edit.

twitter

But again, just because a league owns a team, doesn't mean that it's being rigged one way or the other.

Not necessarily, but again, should it ever have to be considered? Did Pete Rose have to bet on every game in order to question the legitimacy of his management? When we see the league fight with the intensity of a thousand suns to save a team and then it skyrockets from the lower third of the conference to the upper third despite a clear paucity of elite talent, people are going to be suspicious, whether right or wrong. I don't think that the league has conspired to make the Coyotes 82-0-0 every year and only but for the grace of Ryan Getzlaf was their master plan foiled, but their rise has coincided with a leaguewide relaxation of the obstruction crackdown that characterized the NHL from 2005-09. So while I don't really think it's rigged, it seems like the climate of the league has been massaged into being more amenable to a team that couldn't have contended before. The sort of Island of Misfit Hosers that they've been running would've been dead in the water when you couldn't color outside the lines.

Again, this shouldn't have had to go on this long. Three years that the league has been engaging in this drawn-out ownership kabuki. It's unprofessional and illegitimate by any estimation.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Not necessarily, but again, should it ever have to be considered? Did Pete Rose have to bet on every game in order to question the legitimacy of his management? When we see the league fight with the intensity of a thousand suns to save a team and then it skyrockets from the lower third of the conference to the upper third despite a clear paucity of elite talent, people are going to be suspicious, whether right or wrong. I don't think that the league has conspired to make the Coyotes 82-0-0 every year and only but for the grace of Ryan Getzlaf was their master plan foiled, but their rise has coincided with a leaguewide relaxation of the obstruction crackdown that characterized the NHL from 2005-09. So while I don't really think it's rigged, it seems like the climate of the league has been massaged into being more amenable to a team that couldn't have contended before. The sort of Island of Misfit Hosers that they've been running would've been dead in the water when you couldn't color outside the lines.

Again, this shouldn't have had to go on this long. Three years that the league has been engaging in this drawn-out ownership kabuki. It's unprofessional and illegitimate by any estimation.

Their success has nothing to do with getting rid of a terrible head coach in Wayne Gretzky and getting a very good head coach in Dave Tippet (Only missed the playoffs once in his career, his final year in Dallas. Any coincidence that Dallas hasn't made it back to the playoffs in the 3 years since he left either?) or changing their philosophy to buying and trading for productive veterans aka Misfit Hosers? (but of course, Gary Bettman has instructed the rest of the league to lay off/hand over these players to the Coyotes...)

I think we can all agree on the final point. But hopefully we're truly at the end this summer. Either mystery owner actually steps up and pays for the team or they go to Quebec. Anything beyond either of those and I... I just... I just don't know anymore.

This is the worst sports league.

So:

Stop watching

Stop posting in this thread

You can keep complaining about the same things or you can choose to spend your energy more wisely. I know which one you'll pick, and make some clever remark in doing so, but in reality it's not much better than the posters who come into threads to say wrestling is fake or that soccer is boring as hell.

It's somewhat impressive that someone who clearly possesses so much intelligence can seem like a petulant child.

This is turning into a complete :censored:ing joke. Kerry Fraser should have Shanahan's job. He knows w'sup.

The Googlewebs were inconculsive... is there a public list of the members of the NHL Discplinary Committee?

Besides Shanaban, I figure it must be more than one person. Maybe a former referee is on it too (Paul Stewart would be my suggestion).

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

This is turning into a complete :censored:ing joke. Kerry Fraser should have Shanahan's job. He knows w'sup.

The Googlewebs were inconculsive... is there a public list of the members of the NHL Discplinary Committee?

Besides Shanaban, I figure it must be more than one person. Maybe a former referee is on it too (Paul Stewart would be my suggestion).

IIRC, Stephane Quintal and Rob Blake are also on the committee, but I don't know who else is on there (if any).

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

This is the worst sports league.

So:

Stop watching

Stop posting in this thread

You can keep complaining about the same things or you can choose to spend your energy more wisely. I know which one you'll pick, and make some clever remark in doing so, but in reality it's not much better than the posters who come into threads to say wrestling is fake or that soccer is boring as hell.

It's somewhat impressive that someone who clearly possesses so much intelligence can seem like a petulant child.

BINGO!

Archived