Your 2012 National Hockey Lockout Thread

Lee.

Teams over $58 million right now and approximately how far over 58 they are (in millions), according to capgeek:

Bruins: 10.8

Wild: 10.8

Canucks: 9.7

Flames: 8.6

Flyers: 8.6

Sharks: 7.2

Canadiens: 5.9

Lightning: 5.2

Oilers: 5

Maple Leafs: 4.8

Blackhawks: 4.4

Kings: 4.3

Sabres: 3.5

Penguins: 2.2

Capitals: 1.6

Rangers: .5

That's half the league, and that half accounts for waaaaay more than half its revenue. So where do you put all that money? The teams that are under the cap? Yeah, let's take that excess $11 million in Minnesota Wild money and dump it on the Hurricanes and Stars, because hey, if they have the cap space, they can afford it, right? Right? Uh oh.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what's the cap floor in this proposal?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I didn't see it mentioned, so I'm led to believe it's just 42. Still not good enough for the Stars, if they really only brought in $17MM in ticket money last season.

And there's the undoing of linking ceiling and floor to revenue: if you try to ensure that everyone is spending about the same, then the--oh, since Karmanos and Rutherford seem to be on every damn committee, let's say the Hurricanes--bitch that they can't keep up with the revenues generated by the MapleHabs. If you try to assuage things by reducing the demands on low-revenue teams and widening the floor and ceiling, then the Hurricanes bitch that they're being outspent by the MapleHabs. What, exactly, is even owed a team like the Hurricanes, that doesn't contribute to revenue sharing, isn't a key part of a national broadcasting deal insofar as they get no airtime and it's hard to imagine an executive saying "nice little hockey league ya got, but where's Raleigh?", and really doesn't do much of anything but go along for the ride? Shouldn't the league belong to the ones who pay the freight?

Fire Bettman. Fire Fehr.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

It's not Don Fehr's fault that the owners can't decide whether they want to :censored: over the players or their lesser fellow owners more.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Yeah. All Don Fehr has done is be reasonable.

I'm in favor of screwing over lesser owners. Well, actually, I want their expenses to be drastically lowered, but they get pissy about that sort of help. This is why they deserve to be screwed over.

Making Donald Fehr look good by comparison? #OITGDNHL

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Gary Bettman is the lowest form of humanity this sport loves to self destruct.

The world would be a better place if him and the Maloofs didn't have their current jobs. Back in 04/05, the Kings were at least a playoff lock. Now they're a joke and that's all that will be on for me.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

The world would be a better place if him and the Maloofs didn't have their current jobs. Back in 04/05, the Kings were at least a playoff lock. Now they're a joke and that's all that will be on for me.

Kings got screwed in 2002, I wonder how things would be now if they won the NBA Championship.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Stop it. Bettman works for and delivers the collective opinion of the owners.

This is not like the France family who can decide to change the rules of NASCAR since they can.

Make sure your "previews" are statistically correct and leave collective bargaining to those at the table.

Kings got screwed in 2002, I wonder how things would be now if they won the NBA Championship.

No they didn't. They lost to a better team. Now go home and cry in your milk! If they were a better team, they would've figured a way to win.

There was obviously something up with that series. Come on. I'd say you're better than that, but.

Oh, and more of dfwabel's patented tank-in-a-barrel shooting! That never gets old and always meets his own ever-exacting standards for cited, fact-checked, posting excellence!

Hockey, at least at the NHL level, is such a sport of ifs. It's a great sport, if it's being played before crowds that give a damn, if the rules aren't being ignored so as to reward mediocrity, if they're even having a season in the first place. Maybe hockey isn't so great after all. It shouldn't take all these labor stoppages and rulebook reboots just to exist. That's why I get so mad at people who try to claim that this is the greatest sport in the world. It's really not at all, not most of the time.

That's why I get so mad at people who try to claim that this is the greatest sport in the world. It's really not at all, not most of the time.

At the same time though, when it is good, oh goddamn.

Archived