Your 2012 National Hockey Lockout Thread

Lee.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not like its going to happen, so who cares? Its like the Caps starting a twitter follower preorder for tickets this year, WHY? Why would anyone buy tickets knowing what we know about the labor situation? I have no confidence in the owners willingness to compromise and get :censored: done.

The Winter Classic is halfway through the season. There's no telling if we're going to lose that much.

I wouldnt be surprised. These owners dont give a :censored: who they tread on to get their way.

I pre-ordered Caps home opener tickets for October in the snowballs chance in hell that the season begins on time. However, I look forward to getting my money back in the event that there's a lockout.

The players proposal is reasonable, Gary Bettman honestly could not care less about this sport otherwise he would tell the owners accept it. Gary Bettman I dont believe for one minute is a puppet I think he leads the hardliners and just wants the players to play for peanuts and charge high ticket prices and he actually enjoys lockouts because he is on TV. There goes another chance of the NHL growing back to ground zero. Last lockout we lost many legends to retirement whose careers did not end properly this one I expect the same and I wont be shocked now for this to go two or three years. Bettman likes topping himself after all.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

We're gonna miss at least part of the Teemu retirement tour :(

There's a decent chance he'll keep playing after this year, maybe like a 40% chance. I think Selanne's got at least another year left in him (after this year).

I truly hope so. He's one of my all-time favorite players (became a huge fan during his awkward Avalanche year) and I'd hate to see him leave the NHL because the owners and management aren't satisfied with their already ridiculous cash flow. I just have a feeling if the NHL locks out and he goes to play in Finland that he won't come back the next year.

Manchester-City-icon.png

The players proposal is reasonable, Gary Bettman honestly could not care less about this sport otherwise he would tell the owners accept it. Gary Bettman I dont believe for one minute is a puppet I think he leads the hardliners and just wants the players to play for peanuts and charge high ticket prices and he actually enjoys lockouts because he is on TV. There goes another chance of the NHL growing back to ground zero. Last lockout we lost many legends to retirement whose careers did not end properly this one I expect the same and I wont be shocked now for this to go two or three years. Bettman likes topping himself after all.

Bettman is a :censored: and I hope he gets fired if there's another lockout. Two lockouts in less than 10 years is unacceptable.

Before the start of the season, each team cannot be over the cap.

Also, say the offending team starts the year on the road? Since game revenues are kept by the home club, they have lost additional revenue from parking, concessions...

So the league office keeps tabs on each team's current cap number then? And I guess I would modify my proposal to have them only play the road games on their schedule or something. Either that or just make it simpler and have them play in empty arenas for their home games until they clear up the cap mess.

I'm going to go out on no limb at all and say you'll never see empty-arena contests in North America. And yeah, you cannot be over the cap at any time. Let me try to explain.

Let's say that the ceiling for the year is $70,000,000. Let's also say there are 176 days in the regular season. So you divide ceiling by days, and the daily salary cap figure is about $397,727.

From that, you subtract each day's worth of cap hits. So if you have a projected payroll of $60,000,000 for the year, then a day with that roster composition would come out to $340,909.

Subtract that figure from the daily cap and you're left with $56,818, which is "banked" for future use.

You can then be "over the cap" at the end of the season in that your roster as ultimately constructed, if extrapolated over a full season, would be over the cap, but since acquired contracts are prorated from the point of acquisition, everything fits into place. But at no point can you borrow against yourself and go over the cap with the intention of getting under it later. If a roster move were to put you over the cap, like taking a guy off LTIR or calling up a guy on a two-way contract, then the league just won't let you make that move. This is the trouble the Devils got into last season with injuries and suspensions, where they couldn't call players up without going over the cap, and so they had to play a game with 15 skaters. There was also an inverse incident with the Dallas Stars this year, where they were kept so close to the floor that they at one point went beneath it, and wouldn't be cleared to dress for a game until they were above it. So they dug up Eric Nystrom and gave him too much money, just enough to hit the floor.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I sort of see the fun in it, if you like to be a spreadsheet jockey from time to time. It's kind of like doing sudoku.

It shouldn't be the prime factor in building a team, though. I know people have always railed on Ken Holland for being nothing more than a "checkbook GM," but what, then, do you call a GM who lives by a hard salary cap? Is he not just managing a checkbook?

But the beauty of commodifying banked cap space is that it turns the "cash considerations" of other leagues on its side a bit, as yes, the rich can spend more than the poor, but not without the poor's consent. That gives them leverage and assets, and it makes great teams greater for the benefit of all. Take that $56,818 per day I mentioned. Multiply by 60 days. That comes out to about $3.4 million that you can give a team the right to spend in exchange for picks/prospects and revenue sharing by way of a luxury tax. Right now, that unused allocation gets them nothing. This system gives them something. Which is fairer?

Numbers from the 2011-12 season seem to be trickling out. About time! I was getting tired of data that still included the Atlanta Thrashers. This and more from a very interesting post at Pension Plan Puppets (do they have to change their name now?):

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2012/8/16/3247491/how-the-nhls-big-markets-use-the-cba-to-bankrupt-the-small-markets

I have taken the liberty of graphing ticket revenue.

aZ720.jpg

Not counting Toronto, Montreal, and Winnipeg, which are just rakin' it, the big dropoffs seem to be the Rangers after the Canucks, then the Kings after the Bruins, then the Ducks behind the Avs, then the Coyotes behind the Ducks, with Phoenix and Dallas neck and neck at the bottom.

Interesting that Florida is in the middle of the pack in ticket revenue. I'd wager this is heavily inflated by visitors, and that their high (for them) ticket revenue is mitigated by nonexistent broadcasting revenue. How much of a rights fee do you command when you lose in the ratings to infomercials? Conversely, the Islanders are faltering at the box office, but have a sweet TV deal.

This pretty much says it all:

There are two ways that the unprofitable teams like Phoenix could theoretically become profitable. One would be for revenues to increase to a level that would actually support their business. The other would be for the salary cap to fall sufficiently that costs fell below current revenues. The NHL's proposal to reduce the % of Hockey Related Revenue allocated to the players to 46% may go some way to accomplishing that but it doesn't solve the fundamental problem that some teams in the league can't get fans into their buildings at a competitive ticket price, and any proposal that does not address the revenue problem that the small market teams have isn't going to make them financially solvent.

My friend and I decided not renew our season tickets. But an impending lockout wasn't the reason why, it's the piss poor, money hungry as:censored: that run the team. Murray Edwards and his bff Ken King.

I figure if a few more people decide to not renew, it'd change things here. Also I could care less if I'm back on the waiting list for two seasons.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Seriously, I've had enough of Gary Bettman. I hope the next time he makes a public appearance, he gets booed out of town.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Does it bother American hockey fans that ESPN gives Little League baseball more attention in one day than they do hockey the entire year?

ESPN needs an enema.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Does it bother American hockey fans that ESPN gives Little League baseball more attention in one day than they do hockey the entire year?

I'm long past it. I know where to find hockey when I want it. I don't need ESPN to spread the Gospel of Puck to Real America to validate my interest in the sport. I watch Australian Football and Rugby League. ESPN doesn't give a toss about either of those, and it doesn't affect my enjoyment or concern me one bit.

ESPN is going to cover whatever their contracts dictate. They're a promotional organization more than a sports news outfit at this point. Remember when SportsCenter suddenly had a nightly interest in Arena Football because ESPN had an ownership stake in the league?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Does the coverage (or lack there of) on the NHL Network also bother you?

I have XM, but I have no idea what their programming is currently like.

Archived