The Colorado Centennials

The Idaho Gems

The Louisiana Pelicans

The Maine Pine Trees

The Great Lakers of Michigan

The Montana Treasurers

The Nevada Silver Stars

The Virginia Dominion

Arkansas Naturals would be a GREAT identity.

GR30a5H.png

Pelicans was the traditional name for ballclubs out of New Orleans. Stoners has been historically used by several soccer clubs in Pennsylvania, usually featuring a keystone logo. The Austin Lone Stars played in the SISL, USISL and United Soccer League, and an NAHL hockey team (Jr A) was known as the Lone Star Cavalry. Terrible form using "Lone Star" as the prefix, but they had a pretty good broadcaster for their one season.Of course, Minnesota had the North Stars...

As for college teams using the state nicknames (or reasonable derivatives), you have Indiana, Iowa, Nebraska, North Carolina, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oregon, Tennessee, West Virginia, and Wisconsin... with Wyoming getting partial credit depending on whether you count "The Equality State" or "The Cowboy State". Not sure equality works for them anymore considering the recent report on gender pay inequality that came out this week, placing the state near the bottom.

I can't believe the St. Louis Archers don't exist somewhere, and the logo could use the gateway arch as the stretched bow of the archer. It seems a no-brainer.

When I was a little kid, I made one of my first concepts on that name... in markers on notebook paper. (Football...Old gold, kelly green, and blue)

I can't believe the St. Louis Archers don't exist somewhere, and the logo could use the gateway arch as the stretched bow of the archer. It seems a no-brainer.

Make the arrow a compass arrow pointing West.

I can't believe a Pro team from Pennsylvania hasn't called itself the Keystones (after The Keystone State). Great name which could lead to a simple, iconic logo.

The American Soccer League's Pennsylvania Stoners came pretty darn close.

a_stoners1-t02_detail.jpg

Currently, an amateur side in the National Premier Soccer League continues the tradition.

Pastoners.png

The Idaho Gems

The Idaho Falls Gems played in minor-league Baseball's Pioneer League (Rookie) in 1992.

The Louisiana Pelicans

New Orleans was home to minor-league baseball teams dubbed the Pelicans for 70 seasons, ranging from the Southern League in 1887 to the American Association in 1977. New Iberia hosted Pelicans minor-league teams in the Evangeline League in 1948, 1951, 1952, 1954 and 1955.

I'd love to see the New York Empires, incorporating the Empire State Building fits perfect too.

The Tampa Bay Lightning (Tampa is called the lightning capital of North America), and Cigar City isn't "acceptable" to use as a nickname.

When the Devil Rays absurdly dropped the Devil from their nickname, and became the Rays (of sunshine), it worked on a few levels. Florida is the Sunshine State, and St. Pete is known as Florida's Sunshine City. They play in St. Pete, even though they and the other area teams are called Tampa Bay (which isn't a city despite what some people think, it's an area including Clearwater, St. Pete, and Tampa).

Tennessee Volunteers are the only other team I can think of, aside from the aformentioned Buckeyes, that used the state nickname off the top of my head.

2ly2w09.jpg

Archived