2012 NFL Season Thread

BlueSky

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I swear the more I learn about the level of how strongly Jay Cutler doesn't give a :censored:, the more I like the dude.

He throws way too many tantrums for someone who doesn't give a :censored:.

I mean in terms of what everyone thinks of him.

I'd be throwing a fit too if I had linemen that were as tough as wet cardboard.

Or more than one receiver over four years who could:

1) catch the ball

2) if unable to catch the ball, at least don't comically bat it up into the air for it to be intercepted

3) know which plays were called and run correct routes (eliminating INTs on balls thrown where the receiver was supposed to be)

4) not cut routes off short when you get the slightest bit of contact from a defender (see above on INTs)

5) not slip and fall with regularity (see above on INTs). Johnny Knox was like Bambi on ice

6) get open and not just stand in the middle of the field waiting for the ball with a defender standing next to him

7) make an effort to catch a tough ball in traffic, or, if necessary, stop the defender from catching it

Even taking away their terrible line, I would guess that close to half of his interceptions the past four years have come from incompetence of the receivers. Jay certainly has made his fair share of mistakes, but you can only do so much when you are repeatedly dealt fours.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Five turnovers for Sanchez on the night. WHY ARE YOU STILL :censored:ING PLAYING HIM, REX? WHY?????

I think the more pressing question is why Sanchez was benched for a series just when he was on a roll, allowing Tebow to kill the momentum that they were starting to pull together.

Sanchez isn't very good at all, but he's still the best QB they have on their payroll by a mile. I'm perplexed as to why Ryan didn't want him to show it last night.

I don't watch ESPN so I don't know what the national "narrative" is, but it feels like the Denver Broncos are the quietest 9-game winning streak team I've ever seen. Yes, they stumbles out of the gate a bit, but they have the look of a Super Bowl team. I didn't think Manning returning was a great idea, but he's been as good as he ever was since around week 5. I'm not a Broncos fan, but seem like the team to beat in a year when no one is especially dominant, some 12-2 records notwithstanding.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I don't watch ESPN so I don't know what the national "narrative" is, but it feels like the Denver Broncos are the quietest 9-game winning streak team I've ever seen.

That's pretty much the national "narrative." The Broncos aren't getting a lot of play.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

The only knock on Denver is that they hadn't beaten any "marquee" teams.* It didn't help that those three teams (Atlanta, Houston, and New England) all came early in the season, before Peyton would be in excellent lock-step with his 'mates, like he is now.

But I think we can put that knock to bed after the way Denver routed Baltimore on Sunday, and now will likely have a bye week going into the Divisional Round. And that'll be a fun chapter in the Peyton/Brady story.

*I just remembered that they beat the Steelers in Week 1, but Pittsburgh is only 7-7 right now, so it doesn't look as good now.

spacer.png

^ Huh. I feel like the Broncos getting their due attention. Sure the Jets and Patriots and a few select other teams are always gonna get a lot of play, but I feel like the Broncos are getting touted as the class of the AFC, and if they aren't getting as much TV/Radio time as other teams, that might just be because there's really no drama there and they've had their Division sewn up for awhile now.

The Broncos have profited greatly from a division featuring the crappy Chargers, crappier Raiders, and up-there-among-the-worst-single-season-disasters-of-all-time Chiefs. And comeback from career-ending neck injury notwithstanding, Peyton Manning is pretty much just being Peyton Manning. I totally get why no one is breathless over the Broncos.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Jets should trade both of their QBs to the Cardinals for their 1st-round draft pick.

NO, as bad as the situation is in Glendale, the Cardinals would never benefit from Sanchez or Tebow. Best thing to do for the Cardinals is to draft a Quarterback like Geno Smith. Go into the Free Agency and 2nd and 3rd Rounds and get some Offensive Linemen that will help out.

I mean, NOW they want to change QB's?

Frankly, I really don't think you can read too much into the season Sanchez had given the lack of support from his organization, which has shown time and again that they care more about making headlines than they do about actually putting together a contending team. I don't know when his conract is up or if he's on the trading block, but hopefully he ends up somewhere that'll let him get his head back on straight.

Trust me, most NFL fans are well aware of how the Jets did him no favours, with the Tebow crap and, in the case of last night, that inane sequence where they put Tebow in, and gave him a set of plays that he would have no chance of making work.

But Sanchez was bad from 2009-2011, as well. There's only one good game I can EVER remember out of him, and that was (shockingly, and I mean it) the playoff game in Foxboro when the Jets stunned the Patriots. He's routinely been terrible long before the Jets started dabbling their hands with the nonsense that plagues them today.

I think the reason for his struggles is simple: he's just not particularly good at the NFL level. The Jets may have been a Super Bowl winner in 2010 if they had a better QB at the helm. Sanchez has really wasted an excellent defensive team.

spacer.png

Frankly, I really don't think you can read too much into the season Sanchez had given the lack of support from his organization, which has shown time and again that they care more about making headlines than they do about actually putting together a contending team.

Agreed. I'm not a huge fan of Sanchez, but Woody Johnson is a terrible owner. Winning isn't anywhere near as high a priority for him as it should be.

On one Facebook thread tonight someone suggested Tebow should consider going to the CFL for a few years, a la Doug Flutie, before trying to make it in the NFL again. That's actually an intriguing idea. If Tebow went to Canada he would instantly become the CFL's biggest star, like David Beckham going to MLS in 2007. Surely NBC Sports Network (which carries CFL games in the US) would love to see Tebow head north of the border at least.

CCSLC signature.png

Archived