Team-By-Team "Evoked" Brand

nicktharipper

Apologies if this should be in concepts. At this time, I'm not going to be doing a concept series for this, but would be open to (or would love to see any of you do one as well), I'm more looking for discussion.

In talking with my brother, and kicking the idea around for a while, I found we were able to fairly quickly (and imo, accurately) go through the NFL and determine what sportswear company would outfit each team if there was no league wide contract. I feel as though these are the teams I could realistically see wearing each brand, and feel as though each team matches up well philosophically with the brand and the evoked image of the brand. To chose, I used a combination of (admitted) personal bias, brand perception, and local themes (area colleges, the area itself). I would love to hear others lists and any tweaks (I mean, I feel like I pretty much nailed it ^_^ ).

As far as 'perception,' it goes like this :

Adidas - least cutting edge. Generally in more 'blah' areas. Little focus on current trends and big markets. High focus on historical success (you'll see in a second).

Nike - Most dominant. Great enough brand awareness and popularity to not 'chase' markets or teams. Balance of cutting edge flair and tradition.

UA - Strong focus on a few big markets (similar to chasing and signing Newton, Brady, and their few other MAJOR athletes with huge endorsements. Not a very wide pool, but a deep one if that makes sense). Little regard for tradition. Flashy, teetering on gaudy.

Russell - Forgotten. Doesn't chase trends. Doesn't make trends. Just, there.

Here's my list:

NFC North

Vikings - Nike

Easy, one of Nike's premier athletes in Peterson, local presence in outfitting Goldy, solid tradition, and a color scheme that's easy to "Nikefy"

Packers - Adidas

Another no brainer. Local presence and history. Plus it helps that I am personally biased against GB and the triple stripe. :P

Bears - Nike

Nike color scheme and a good tradition. Local presence with UI.

Lions - Nike

Was on the fence about this one, but the honolulu blue was the kicker for me. Also, they look really good in Nike this year anyway.

AFC North

Ravens - Under Armour

Obvious. It's Maryland.

Steelers - Under Armour

I'd be a liar if I didn't say TDKR didn't influence this with the Gotham Rouges. I could see UA chasing for a traditional team. The throwbacks they are going to this year seem UA-designed anyway.

Browns - Russell

Self explanatory.

Bengals - Under Armour

Think of how gaudy they could make the tiger print.

NFC West

Seahawks - Nike

Obvious.

49ers - Nike

Get a mix of a USC/LSU vibe, especially with the 9ers resurgence. Plus, it's the west coast.

Cardinals - Nike

West coast. Black/Grey alternate for sure

Rams - Nike

Current color scheme similar to PCRs of this year with the metallic. Kind of an eh connection, but when in doubt, go with the swoosh.

AFC West

Chargers - Nike

West coast. Color scheme.

Raiders - Adidas

Historically great, but pretty meh now. Simple jerseys that could be disgustingly tech-fitted.

Chiefs - Nike

They look incredible in Nike now. Another traditional team for Nike's stable.

Broncos - Nike

Historical precedent. Boise state similarities in logo and color scheme.

NFC South

Bucs - Nike

Pewter was the deciding factor.

Panthers - UA

Would overpay for their golden boy and that color scheme. There's also a regional (ish) tie-in with the Gamecocks.

Saints - Adidas

No particular reason here. Just didn't scream any brand to me.

Falcons - UA

Just get a UA vibe for whatever reason. I'm pretty sure Julio Jones is with UA, and their football gear is mostly red-accented? No particular reason again here, other than I just see it.

AFC South

Colts - Nike

Can't picture Luck in anything other than Nike. They look pretty good this year as well.

Jaguars - Nike

Getting the redesign treatment next year helped the connection here. Plus, Florida is a pretty Nike-dominated state in terms of CFB (UF, FSU, UCF, JU, etc.).

Texans - Nike

Just see it for some reason.

Titans - Adidas

Local presence was the main factor.

NFC East

Redskins - Adidas

Could see them triple-striping everything and over-paying to get RGIII in their stuff all the time.

Cowboys - Adidas

Ugly and awful. Historic presence. See also: Notre Dame.

Giants - Adidas

Tech fit scarred me for life, actually.

Eagles - Nike

Color scheme.

AFC East

Pats - New Balance

Boston based. If you're only going to make a mark with one team, it might as well be ESPN's favorite.

Jets - UA

UA would reach for the exposure of New York, even if Timmy T is a Nike athlete.

Dolphins - Nike

Just another one to the list. Remember the Florida connection from earlier?

Bills - Russell

/end.

Interesting enough idea, reminds me of the 90s when there were multiple uni manufacturers.

I'd say New Balance for the Patriots. It's a Boston based brand, sponsors the shoes and clothing for the marathon every year, and is known for making their stuff in America. You could totally tie in the Patriots/made in America connection.

Interesting enough idea, reminds me of the 90s when there were multiple uni manufacturers.

I'd say New Balance for the Patriots. It's a Boston based brand, sponsors the shoes and clothing for the marathon every year, and is known for making their stuff in America. You could totally tie in the Patriots/made in America connection.

Good call on that!

Doesn't Nike outsource some of its stuff to Sand-Knit and/or Saranac? I know some major manufacturer does, and both of those companies are based in Northern Wisconsin and have had a relationship with the Packers going back to at least the Lombardi days. I would hope that if given a choice, the Packers would choose someone who uses the local guys.

Every team would take the highest bidder. Case closed.

Probably most of them would, but some teams (Cowboys, Raiders, etc.) are more protective of their brand than others and would probably choose by who can market it the most effectively.

Nike - Most dominant. Great enough brand awareness and popularity to not 'chase' markets or teams. Balance of cutting edge flair and tradition.

Really? How do you square that with Nike's aggressive pursuit of Man United, Arsenal, and very recently Man City (now that they're good) and England? They're doing a lot of chasing, actually.

Not only that, but before the NFL instituted a league-wide contract, Nike outfitted the Cowboys and Packers. Seems like they were rather interested in collecting major teams even back then.

What about Starter? Do they still make uniforms? If so I think it would be the cowboys since Romo has a contract with them. And for New Orleans it would be Nike.It would be cool if the NFL let each conference or division pick their uniform manufacturer.

Good call on that!

In point of fact, adidas has been the official clothing and footwear partner of the Boston Marathon since 1989, and is currently scheduled to maintain that sponsorship status through 2022. New Balance began to aggressively engage in ambush marketing of the Boston Marathon in time for the 2010 running of the event.

On an adidas-related note, since January of 2006, Reebok - headquartered in the Boston suburb of Canton, Massachusetts - has been a wholly-owned subsidiary of adidas-Salomon AG.

As for New Balance's "Made in the USA" credentials, they are the only company that still manufactures athletic shoes in the United States. One out of every four pairs of shoes that New Balance sells in the USA is made or assembled at the company's five domestic factories (Boston and Lawrence, Massachusetts, and Norridgewock, Norway and Skowhegan, Maine). New Balance labels any shoe in which 70% of said footwear is domestically made or assembled as "Made in the USA".

I'm not doubting that, at all. I'm just saying most teams seem to share qualities with major brands, and I could see those companies bidding highly for said teams.

Really? How do you square that with Nike's aggressive pursuit of Man United, Arsenal, and very recently Man City (now that they're good) and England? They're doing a lot of chasing, actually.

Not only that, but before the NFL instituted a league-wide contract, Nike outfitted the Cowboys and Packers. Seems like they were rather interested in collecting major teams even back then.

I meant that domestically. Nike has been very aggressive with soccer as of late. Of course they would be interested in getting the most visible and major-market teams, but in contrast with UA, they are much less aggressive and have their much higher brand awareness and reputation to fall back on.

Puma use to do the Rams and Titans.

Puma had the Vikes for a couple of years as well...I think after Starter sort of went away.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Puma use to do the Rams and Titans.

Puma had the Vikes for a couple of years as well...I think after Starter sort of went away.

Whatever happened to Starter anyway? They kind of went from being the kings of licensed sports apparel and uniforms in the early/mid 90s to a total afterthought by the early 00s. They sure fell fast and hard.

I'm not doubting that, at all. I'm just saying most teams seem to share qualities with major brands, and I could see those companies bidding highly for said teams.

I meant that domestically. Nike has been very aggressive with soccer as of late. Of course they would be interested in getting the most visible and major-market teams, but in contrast with UA, they are much less aggressive and have their much higher brand awareness and reputation to fall back on.

I still don't see where you're getting that.

Nike's work with Oregon, as well as the Pro Combat schools, has been all about Nike aggressively marketing its brand. Plus then they go out and bid a crazy amount for the NFL contract to ensure they get it.

I don't see Nike as a company resting on its laurels at all. Rather the opposite.

Good call on that!

In point of fact, adidas has been the official clothing and footwear partner of the Boston Marathon since 1989, and is currently scheduled to maintain that sponsorship status through 2022. New Balance began to aggressively engage in ambush marketing of the Boston Marathon in time for the 2010 running of the event.

On an adidas-related note, since January of 2006, Reebok - headquartered in the Boston suburb of Canton, Massachusetts - has been a wholly-owned subsidiary of adidas-Salomon AG.

As for New Balance's "Made in the USA" credentials, they are the only company that still manufactures athletic shoes in the United States. One out of every four pairs of shoes that New Balance sells in the USA is made or assembled at the company's five domestic factories (Boston and Lawrence, Massachusetts, and Norridgewock, Norway and Skowhegan, Maine). New Balance labels any shoe in which 70% of said footwear is domestically made or assembled as "Made in the USA".

OK, I was speaking based on personal experience, not business knowledge. But I used to live along the route and watched from 2009-12, and it seemed like NB was all over it. Plus the swarm of ads on the T and commuter rail.

So Reebok goes from making everybody's uniforms to making nobody's. This makes total sense.

You do know Adidas is Reebok, right?

I still don't see where you're getting that.

Nike's work with Oregon, as well as the Pro Combat schools, has been all about Nike aggressively marketing its brand. Plus then they go out and bid a crazy amount for the NFL contract to ensure they get it.

I don't see Nike as a company resting on its laurels at all. Rather the opposite.

They aren't reaching with the PCR schools though, they're asked and expected at this point.

Look at Nike football's emdorsed players compared to Adidas and UA, Nike didn't reach and put tens of millions of dollars into rookie QB's (RG3 and Newton).

I see the Redskins as a Under Armour squad. With a high presence in the beltway and Baltimore, I don't see why not. Well unless you get Kevin Planked before divisional games. :blink:

GrizzlyBlack Designs, UDC Firebird

Archived