Evolution of the Hartford Whalers logo

NickRJ325

Well, I havent seen anything on here yet about it but here is what the original Whalers logo looked like, and the owners actually approved it too, but the graphic artist thought he could do better. So here is the evolution of the Whalers logo.

4208456489_eb8d0e69a8_o.png

whalers.jpg

Being from Hartford, CT. I find this cool.

That was such a great logo before they ruined it with the unnecessary outlines.

I disagree. Hartford's identity was better before the color change but the logo was still just as good. The core concept, which is what made it great, was unchanged.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I disagree. Hartford's identity was better before the color change but the logo was still just as good. The core concept, which is what made it great, was unchanged.

The core concept didn't change but by no means is the logo just as good with the outlines. It's pretty much the quintessential perfect logo without the outlines. With them it's a notch down but still very solid.

Tf9TG.jpg

Agreed. Someone here called the 1992 update a toilet seat, which it turns out is something that sticks with you just as much as the revelation that there's an H in the negative space. You never unsee it.

And ruined it by moving to hillbilly country.

Agreed. Going to Tampa and Dallas is one thing, but if you're going to use some of your footprint on small markets, at least use it on small markets where there's ice and an established love of the game. I can't believe someone somewhere ever said "man, I gotta get in on this Raleigh thing." But I've already said too much.

I've never considered NC hillbilly country, weird.

Raleigh is heavy on the transplants (I believe the locals refer to the suburb of Cary as "Containing All Relocated Yankees" or something witty) in search of software companies and comparatively inexpensive real estate, but I wouldn't want to venture off the reservation.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Distinguishing between hillbilly, redneck, hick, and cracker is sort of like talking about how a girl can be attractive, cute, pretty, or hot, but the visual aids aren't as pleasant.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

And being southern does not equate to any of those four things. But anyways, back to the topic, it's very interesting how the artist's centerpiece was the W with the negative space H, and he actually fluctuated between using a whaling spear and an actual whale tail.

He no doubt chose the more visually pleasing one, but I can tell you I'd have gone back and forth over and over about what the "right" choice was. The original, in a way, may actually represent the nickname better.

I'd have probably screwed it up by trying to use both in the logo.

it's very interesting how the artist's centerpiece was the W with the negative space H, and he actually fluctuated between using a whaling spear and an actual whale tail.

He no doubt chose the more visually pleasing one, but I can tell you I'd have gone back and forth over and over about what the "right" choice was. The original, in a way, may actually represent the nickname better.

Yeah, it's tough to know when to let go of a good idea, and the spear is a very good idea. The whale tail is just a better one.

Also disagree. The logo was greatly improved in 1992 with the addition of grey. The only mistake was making the away jersey primarily navy instead of green.

Concept can only take you part of the way there. Execution takes you the rest of the way. This logo (and most others) suffer when outlines are added without need.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

And being southern does not equate to any of those four things. But anyways, back to the topic, it's very interesting how the artist's centerpiece was the W with the negative space H, and he actually fluctuated between using a whaling spear and an actual whale tail.

Well wouldn't the client make the decision after seeing the two designs?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Distinguishing between hillbilly, redneck, hick, and cracker is sort of like talking about how a girl can be attractive, cute, pretty, or hot, but the visual aids aren't as pleasant.

I agree. Bigotry IS cool.

Well, it is hipster to love every race but white people.

Well wouldn't the client make the decision after seeing the two designs?

Well, in a typical design process, yeah, there'd probably be a few options. But you never show a design you don't want chosen.

That said, this doesn't sound like a typical process. The logo was designed, the Whalers liked it, and then the designer wanted to go back and do more. Kinda sounds like the designer was a trusted friend or something and they were willing to let him do his thing.

Archived