Orange hats in baseball

ltjets21

green is such a underutilized color in the MLB. it's a shame.

It's an underutilized color in pro sports...period. And it's a total shame.

The crazy thing is that some of the best looking teams in pro sports (Packers, A's, Celtics) all wear green.

All MLB teams feature either red, blue or black in their uniform set. Only team that doesn't are the A's.

Go A's!

Were there any before the astros?

No, there wasn't any team to use full orange cap.

Interesting fact, but no team embraced a full green cap until the 1963 Kansas City A's...

Did any teams use red caps in the "old days"? Someone brought this up here a few years ago and I don't think an answer was ever really given as to why so few (if any) teams used red caps long ago.

Interesting fact, but no team embraced a full green cap until the 1963 Kansas City A's...

Except for the 1937 Dodgers, of course.

pMLB2-1559624dt.jpg

Or by "embraced" do you mean "kept around"?

The Brooks also wore tan on the road that year.

The crazy thing is that some of the best looking teams in pro sports (Packers, A's, Celtics) all wear green.

All MLB teams feature either red, blue or black in their uniform set. Only team that doesn't are the A's.

The weird thing is all NHL teams feature some variation of red, some variation of blue, and/or black.

The NFL has 3 teams that don't use any of the three in their uniforms (Browns, Packers, Jets).

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The weird thing is all NHL teams feature some variation of red, some variation of blue, and/or black.

The NFL has 3 teams that don't use any of the three in their uniforms (Browns, Packers, Jets).

I hate that. People demand it, I guess. Teal gets introduced just to be chased away 20 years later. All because it is too 90's. Whatever that means. Teal is beautiful, damn it! Teal was my favorite color before the Jags. The reduction of teal in their look is burning my biscuit! Don't get me started on the Marlins. Though I do love the orange.

I hate that. People demand it, I guess. Teal gets introduced just to be chased away 20 years later. All because it is too 90's. Whatever that means. Teal is beautiful, damn it! Teal was my favorite color before the Jags. The reduction of teal in their look is burning my biscuit! Don't get me started on the Marlins. Though I do love the orange.

This.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

Did any teams use red caps in the "old days"? Someone brought this up here a few years ago and I don't think an answer was ever really given as to why so few (if any) teams used red caps long ago.

You mean other than the Cardinals (1900-1908, 1918) or the Phillies (1913-1914)? Everything else came post-1950. Wasn't there a thing where people were concerned about the safety of red dyes?

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Don't forget Cincy (1901, 1910-11), and the 1901-1902 Phillies. The Boston Braves also wore red caps in the early 1900s. And that's just a quick perusal of the first few pages of Dressed to the Nines, nor is it counting all the teams that wore white caps with red bills.

Reds? You don't mean communists, do you Sam? /Fletch

That could have been a reason, though. Perhaps it was the overpatriotism of the day, like "God Bless America" during the stretch and flag caps now. "We're so America we won't wear red caps." Wait...

Also, red M&Ms disappeared due to a dye issue, so maybe there's something to that, too.

Archived