Wideright's NFL Redux

WideRight

Hi all,

I have been dabbling with updating some of the NFL teams whose uniforms just don't do it for me. What I hope to post on here are the concepts which I think keep the best features of the traditions of NFL teams with some modern tweaks. I am not sure how many I will finish, but I hope to do at least the "worst 10" current uniforms (totally subjective, I know.)

A few notes on what you won't see:

1. Nike templates: I use a basic template, so you won't see the special nike "sweat zones" that the

real uniforms have. Besides, I hate the discolored sweaty areas. One of the worst features of

the new uniforms if you ask me. This also means that you won't see flywire collars. Sorry, but

in my mind they completely kill any creativity with the collars and they just don't look good.

2. You also won't see my pet peeves on any uniforms. That means, you will not see any...

... socks with a base color other than white.

... partial shoulder stripes that don't loop down to the armpit, except if styled like Houston's.

... alternate uniforms, that and I just don't have time to do them. Just home and away.

... grey facemasks on teams that do not use grey as a color anywhere else.

... unitards. If the jersey is dark, expect the pants to be light and vice versa.

OK, so some of you will hate my designs, some might like them. I welcome critiques and enthusiastic support equally, and I may even make some adjustments if I agree with the comments, but mostly this is just me posting designs.

I start with what I believe is the worst uniform in the NFL, the Jaguars. I liked their 1990's uniforms, but always thought a bit of jaguar spot pattern would be appropriate. So, borrowing from the 90's but with some modern elements, here are the new-look Jag's.

JaguarsHome.jpg

JaguarsRoad.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 2nd update. The Cleveland Browns. I am not stupid enough to do anything to the helmet, but the stripes on the uniform could be altered. I was in a way inspired by the various logos I have seen on this board that make use of the simple stipe pattern from the helmet. So, a Cleveland uniform that uses the B-in-Football logo and the simple 3-stripe pattern from the helmet.

The vertical sleeve stripe is a departure for Cleveland from their tradition, but with the death of traditional sleeves, I thought it might work. It is, in part, inspired by the mini-vertical stripes UNC has used on their jerseys.

So, new look and yet classic Cleveland.

BrownsHome2.jpg

BrownsAway2.jpg

The third update is the Minnesota Vikings. I decided not to go old-school on this one, but to tweak the modern look in an effort to eliminate what I see as uneccesary piping and unify the viking horns motif throughout. Not sure if I like using it so much, but at least the side panel-shoulder stipes don't seem as random.

VikingsHome.jpg

VikingsAway.jpg

Two things... Browns the white pants are unnecessary because you create what I call the "Redskins problem" of pretty vs. white pants being a viable option. If orange is going to be the primary for both the home and the road, white becomes unnecessary.

For the Vikings, it works because you wouldn't expect them to wear all purple regularly. I would also make the Nike logo on the Vikings purple instead of yellow.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

Two more uniforms, both more tweaks than full redo's.

Carolina Panthers

I have always hated the helmet stripe on the Panthers, so I replaced it with a Bills-like slowly widening stripe.

Some other tweaks here, mainly in emphasizing silver a little more by adding silver jersey sleeves.

PanthersHome.jpg

PanthersAway.jpg

New England Patriots

There are elements of the short-lived 1994 uniform which I loved, mostly the pant stripe. So I combined some features of that first Elvis Patriot uniform with today's color scheme, adjusted the shoulder stripes and incorporated the '94 pants.

PatriotsHome.jpg

PatriotsAway.jpg

More to come, but this is what I have for today. C&C welcome.

I really like these concepts. The Jags one seams to be all over the place but anything is an upgrade over what they have right now. The only thing I would change on the Browns is get rid of the hip logo and carry the stripe to the top of the pants. The Vikings and Panthers sets are a great upgrade to what they currently have. The Patriots set is perfect. Also if I were you, I would save these as .png instead of .jpg for better quality. You can really see how .jpg makes it worse quality by just looking at the Patriots numbers.

Only one today. I am trying to figure out how to switch to PNG without having all the white space change to transparent. I should be able to adjust them soon, but for now still JPEG.

Baltimore Ravens

I decided to try to combine some old ideas (simple 1 color pant stripe from year 1 of the Ravens) with some new-fangled ideas like adding a purple highlight to the black helmet (jaguar style) instead of the stripes and adding shoulder yoke raven wings.

RavensHome.jpg

RavensAway.jpg

Really like the idea of the Ravens' helmet having the under-coat like the Jags'.

I'm on the opposide of the fence with this. I hate that the Jaguars have it, and don't like the idea of the Ravens doing it.

My other point is about the pants stripes. Why does it end before it reaches the logo on the white pair of pants yet continues all the way to the logo on the black pair?

Untitled.png

Really like the idea of the Ravens' helmet having the under-coat like the Jags'.

I'm on the opposide of the fence with this. I hate that the Jaguars have it, and don't like the idea of the Ravens doing it.

My other point is about the pants stripes. Why does it end before it reaches the logo on the white pair of pants yet continues all the way to the logo on the black pair?

Keyline I would say

I agree about the washed out black. I am using 90% black so that I can still see the lines for the pants or jersey seams, and in Corel Draw it looks very good, not washed out, but when I post them the colors seem brighter and the black does get lighter. I will see if I can go perhaps to a 95% black.

SInce I have spent 3 nights trying to figure out some way to salvage the Arizona Cardinals, and hate everything I have tried. I might go back and tweak the ones already completed.

Looking at the Bengals, Chiefs and Chargers as well.

My 2nd update. The Cleveland Browns. I am not stupid enough to do anything to the helmet, but the stripes on the uniform could be altered. I was in a way inspired by the various logos I have seen on this board that make use of the simple stipe pattern from the helmet. So, a Cleveland uniform that uses the B-in-Football logo and the simple 3-stripe pattern from the helmet.

The vertical sleeve stripe is a departure for Cleveland from their tradition, but with the death of traditional sleeves, I thought it might work. It is, in part, inspired by the mini-vertical stripes UNC has used on their jerseys.

So, new look and yet classic Cleveland.

BrownsHome2.jpg

BrownsAway2.jpg

The logo on the arms makes this set look damn good! Especially love the orange pants.

spacer.png

Archived