Vote for Florida's new tags.

ZapRowsdower8

Just saw this on my twitter feed. Florida is getting a new license plate and they are allowing people to vote on four options. They all stink compared to the current look, IMO. You can check them out and vote at...

Vote4floridatag.com

I went with the bottom left option. The one with the green top and bottom.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also voted bottom left. I personally hate plates without some distinctive color in them because it makes it harder to figure out where they're from at a glance.

US license plates suck. The shape makes it so that sometimes the state name gets hidden under frames, and there are so many designs that it's sometimes impossible to record a state-plate combination if you have to report something to police.

I really don't understand why the European system isn't universal, or at least some variation of it. a long plate that starts with the state ID and then the numbers. You want some color? OK, each state could have it's own colored letters, or maybe it's own colored background (though I'd prefer just straight white or black plates due to color clashing with certain colored cars.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Who gets a regular plate in Florida anyway? That state has more specialty tags than you can shake a stick at.

I mean, really?

playTennis.jpg

The funny thing about Florida is that there are also 3 standard options. One says "Sunshine State" (seems to be the most common, the one I chose when I was there), another has the county you live in and the last says "God Bless America". Aside from that they look exactly the same.

OK, each state could have it's own colored letters, or maybe it's own colored background (though I'd prefer just straight white or black plates due to color clashing with certain colored cars.

50 different background/letter color combos could be just as confusing. If we had just a few states...yes. With 50 (+DC) it'd be a little much.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Who gets a regular plate in Florida anyway? That state has more specialty tags than you can shake a stick at.

I mean, really?

playTennis.jpg

The funny thing about Florida is that there are also 3 standard options. One says "Sunshine State" (seems to be the most common, the one I chose when I was there), another has the county you live in and the last says "God Bless America". Aside from that they look exactly the same.

The Georgia plates have an empty space at the bottom where the owner can choose one of two decals, the county name or "In God We Trust." I opt for the county. I trust in God but feel no need to proclaim that on my license plate.

OK, each state could have it's own colored letters, or maybe it's own colored background (though I'd prefer just straight white or black plates due to color clashing with certain colored cars.

50 different background/letter color combos could be just as confusing. If we had just a few states...yes. With 50 (+DC) it'd be a little much.

BBTV's first post said the plate characters would start with the state ID. That would eliminate confusion for everyone other than those who can't remember that AK is Alaska and AR is Arkansas. B)

It does make sense that every plate should have a common element that identifies the state. My job involves interaction with law enforcement and it's a unnecessary chore for them (not to mention witnesses) to figure out some of these tags even when they're not partially obscured by frames and such.

The best answer might be a hybrid of BBTV's idea and the current system. Maintain the different designs but change to the elongated Euro-style plate shape (to allow longer numbers) and start the numbers with the state ID. If I had the skills to render it I'd make a concept.

Turning back to Georgia, for anyone interested, these were the designs people could vote on. The winner is on the left, third from the top:

georgia-license-plates.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Yeah using a the euro-style long plate would make the colors irrelevant, so states could go nuts if they wanted to. PA ABC*1234, DE 432*5678, etc. is fine. The hybrid idea would work, but IMO would make the plates too big, and IMO really isn't necessary. I don't see how the back of my car has to be used as an advertisement for the state I live in. PA's plates have the website URL on them! Who is driving behind someone and says "honey, write down that site! I've got to find out more about this pennsylvania place!" I just don't think that for any reason other than tradition, there's any reason to even have state-specific plates when a simple ID would suffice. Maybe back in the day when states were a little more unique from each other and had more authority, but in today's world, it's an outdated concept.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

What's more American than doing something just because it looks cool? Seriously though, there is nothing wrong with state pride. Personally, I've always been a fan of the uniqueness of each state's plate (even if PA's has always been rather boring). I'll agree the simplicity of the European system isn't a bad idea at all, and there is probably a way to combine both tastefully or go to the long plate system while maintaining uniqueness in some other way (a small state seal or flag to the left of the ID, perhaps?). I don't know about other places in Europe, but in the UK licensing is handled on a national level, and not a state level like in the US, which I imagine would make switching to that kind of system rather complicated, not to mention fitting a thin long rectangle into a short thick rectangular spot.

oBIgzrL.png

Archived