2013 NFL Off-Season Thread

Island_Style

You got to kill all the cancer. Don't leave any behind or it will grow back. Plus, I don't know if any GM candidate would want Mularkey rather than their guy.

Interesting stat. Counting Buffalo, Mularkey has lost 20 of his last 23 games. Cut this emotionless clown.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has the draft order for the non-playoff teams been finalized yet?

Per Schefter:

Top 10 draft picks: 1. KC; 2. JAX; 3. OAK; 4. PHIL; 5. DET; 6. CLEV; 7. ARIZ; 8. BUFF; 9. NYJ; 10. TEN.

6uXNWAo.png

1 = Chiefs

2 = Jaguars

3 = Raiders

4 = Eagles

5 = Lions

6 = Browns

7 = Cardinals

8 = Bills

9 = Jets

10 = Titans

11 = Chargers

12 = Dolphins

13 = Buccaneers

14 = Panthers

15 = Saints

16 = Rams

17 = Steelers

18 = Cowboys

19 = Giants

20 = Bears

Sigh. This is about the most uncomfortable way to end a season. The Bears seemed to be doomed to this jail of mediocrity, and seasons like this prove nothing more than their comfort in that position.

I'd be very, very surprised if they fired anybody. It's just another ho-hum "we'll get 'em next time" offseason for these jerkoffs.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I mean they DID still win 10 games. Not like they went 5-11 or something...

Yes, but they lost every game they had against an opponent of consequence (Green Bay x2, San Francisco, Houston, Seattle, Minnesota) while only beating awful teams (Detroit x2, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Arizona). Also, they've missed the playoffs five times in six years. Also, they haven't beaten a winning team in the playoffs since they beat the Saints. What a rut.

β™« oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is goneΒ β™«

Rumor has it that Old Man Ford isn't happy with the way that the Lions season went (obvious statement is obvious), but is apparently even more upset with the "undisciplined" and "dirty" reputation the team has taken on under this last coaching regime... Which sounds about par for the course if you know much about the Ford Sr's ownership style. If it were just about the on the field product, I think Schwartz would be back. But this rumor makes too much "Lions sense" so I wouldn't be surprised if Schwartz is let go this week.

Rumor has it that Old Man Ford isn't happy with the way that the Lions season went (obvious statement is obvious), but is apparently even more upset with the "undisciplined" and "dirty" reputation the team has taken on under this last coaching regime... Which sounds about par for the course if you know much about the Ford Sr's ownership style. If it were just about the on the field product, I think Schwartz would be back. But this rumor makes too much "Lions sense" so I wouldn't be surprised if Schwartz is let go this week.

I'm kind of torn on Schwartz. At the end of the day, his job is to get the team winning, and he's 8-18 since week 7 of last season. I like the changes he brought to the team β€” but it makes you wonder how much of that change was just because of how bad Marinelli actually was. I'm kind of "meh" on keeping him, wouldn't hate to see him stay, would understand if they cut him loose.

But I'll say it again and again β€” NO MORE LINEHAN.

Serious question, Matt (and anyone else who wants to speculate): who would you want to see/can you see coaching this team?

And, well, any team that starts 7-1 should be a lock to reach the playoffs. There's a reason such collapses only occur every 15 or so years. That's an unforgivable collapse.

The problem is that you see this. I see this. Almost every fan and NFL pundit alike sees this. We all collectively recognized the Bears as a fraud. The issue at hand is that there's an immense wave of uncertainty hovering over Halas Hall as to whether or not THEY recognize this, but history would say that in all likelihood the Bears brass has created their own form of reality that doesn't use championships as a measuring stick for accomplishments.

Time will tell.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I'm kind of torn on Schwartz. At the end of the day, his job is to get the team winning, and he's 8-18 since week 7 of last season. I like the changes he brought to the team β€” but it makes you wonder how much of that change was just because of how bad Marinelli actually was. I'm kind of "meh" on keeping him, wouldn't hate to see him stay, would understand if they cut him loose.

Serious question, Matt (and anyone else who wants to speculate): who would you want to see/can you see coaching this team?

I don't have a lot of time to give you a lengthy answer as I would like to when discussing the Lions, but I'll try to give a quick one.

As I've mentioned before, I still believe Schwartz was the right hire in '08. It was a team that needed an infusion of attitude, passion, and talent. But now the dynamic of the team has flipped 180 and Schwartz has shown that he is incapable of managing an NFL team (both in-game and within a locker room) at a professional level... With the youth and inexperience on the team, they need a coach who will demand accountability and who has run a system that the young players can buy into... Someone in the John Fox, Mike Shanahan, Jeff Fisher mold.

I've yet to study up on the available coaches outside of the obvious big names that get tossed around: Saban, Gruden, Cowher (who is a fan favorite in the Detroit area), etc... In my fluffy cornbread dreamworld, Tony Dungy and his enormous heart takes pity on us and becomes the NFL's first mentor-coach. But I find it unlikely that the Lions will be able to swing a big name, so that either leaves the old washed up options that have failed with other teams (the Norv Turners and Wade Phillips of the world) or try to find another up-and-coming coach who is either an NFL coordinator (I believe the Giants D-Coordinator is very highly regarded as a potential HC) or a current college guy who is looking for a change of scenery (Bill O'Brien, Les Miles?).

We'll see if Ford actually pulls the plug on Schwartz, but there's definitely less quality options seemingly available than in the past few years. Hopefully the Lions talented young nucleus and a top-5 draft pick is enough to sway a good coach to come aboard if that happens.

I've yet to study up on the available coaches outside of the obvious big names that get tossed around

Here's a thingamajig I threw together for my Bears board that lays the table for potentially available coaches:

NCAA:

Bo Pelini, Nebraska.

Defense and discipline. NFL experience as an assistant coach.

Dave Shaw, Stanford.

Offensive-oriented guy who's developed loads of NFL talent and has NFL experience.

Brian Kelly, Notre Dame.

Multi-faceted overseer with a knack for getting the most out of the talent around him. Not without controversy, however.

Chip Kelly, Oregon.

Unconventional offensive prowess, much-coveted by several NFL teams. Unsure of how it will translate to the pro game, however.

Nick Saban, Alabama.

Much-acclaimed guy with great college success, but mixed NFL tenure. Acquisition would come at a heavy price.

BLUE-CHIP COORDINATORS:

Tom Clements, Packers.

Potential second coming of Joe Philbin; mild-mannered, soft-spoken, but greatly respected and highly intelligent NFL veteran coach.

Vic Fangio, 49ers.

Older guy who's spent a long time in the NFL and overseen some of the great defenses of the modern era. Never a head coach, however.

Ken Norton, Seahawks.

Positional coach who's had no experience as a coordinator, but it's said he's a masterful teacher and has the "It" factor to be plucked to the next level straightaway.

Dave Toub, Bears.

Known for his savvy with special teams, but more to the point is his ability to gauge a roster. May not be ready for a head coaching job, but he's gotten too much interest for it to merely be speculation.

Ray Horton, Cardinals.

Winner of two super bowls as an assistant coach and known for his ability to get the most out of his players, defensive motivator who has a great passion, but it's yet to be seen how serious the interest in him is.

Mike McCoy, Broncos.

Offensive mastermind with a knack for quick results and accommodating his playbook to the talent at hand. Lots of head coach interest last year, may be ready for the next level.

Bruce Arians, Colts.

One of the great stories of the year, Arians stepped into Chuck Pagano's shoes and led the Colts to a playoff berth. Former SB winner has earned his chance to maybe get a full time gig.

(SOON TO BE?) FORMER-HEAD-COACHES & FREE AGENTS

Mike Holmgren, Browns.

It's been a sorry few years for Holmgren as the Browns GM, but with yet another house-cleaning nigh, Mike has expressed interest in returning to the field.

Bill Cowher, CBS Sports.

It's growing tired hearing THIS song again, but with the multitude of spots potentially available across the NFL, this may just be the year The Chin comes out of retirement. Don't hold your breath.

Andy Reid, Eagles.

Reid's a fine case of a decent coach overstaying his welcome on a team that's been in dire need of new blood. Reid's star has certainly fallen and his abilities as a motivator and game manager are certainly in question (not to mention his personal battles off the field), but sometimes a new start is just what the doctor ordered.

Jon Gruden, ESPN.

The darling of most teams with :censored:ty coaches, Gruden's been drooled over for many moons. Despite that adoration, Gruden's expressed little vocally regarding a return to the gridiron. He seems rather content as a broadcaster, but if the right offer came along, who knows.

Josh McDaniels, Patriots.

He bombed in Denver, but rumors are swirling that he's ready to restore his name and prove the doubters wrong. The Browns have been the speculated suitors, but it's hard to gauge the leeway with which teams will show interest in handing the keys to this guy again.

Ron Rivera, Panthers.

Chico had head coach written all over him after he left the Bears, but in Carolina he's been a mixed bag. They've lost a lot of hard luck games, but with the Panthers wanting a new GM, Rivera's time may be up.

Chan Gailey, Bills.

Raised some eyebrows when he was mysteriously hired by Buffalo a few years ago, but the mercurial and oft-disappointing Bills sharpened the axe that's swinging his way within days. Been around the league for many years, but this opportunity may have been his final one as a head man.

Mike Mularkey, Jaguars.

Once a prized head coach candidate, Mularkey's stay in Jacksonville appears to have been nothing more than a placeholder hiring. Could potentially do more on a new squad that's committed to working with him over time.

Norv Turner, Chargers.

The much-hated brother of Ron is back on the market after a grueling and tediously long tenure as the Chargers coach. His teams have shown flashes of greatness, but an absolute refusal to finish.

Ken Wisenhunt, Cardinals.

Another man supposedly thought to be on-the-come, Wisenhunt couldn't craft a winner out west. Young coach with a long career ahead of him, but Arizona wasn't his best stuff.

Jim Schwartz, Lions.

Supposedly a great defensive mind and disciplinarian who has installed some great players on defense but not a scrap of discipline.

twitter

Reports have the Browns zeroing-in on Oregon's Chip Kelly as well as Penn State's Bill O'Brien -- who is also a former Patriots assistant. Again, will Cleveland ever learn? :lol:

6uXNWAo.png

The Bills could fire Chan Gailey, but I don't really see the point. Yeah, they haven't done much with him, but they haven't done much with anyone since Wade Phillips a decade ago. The franchise has been treading water since the Jim Kelly days, and short a miracle, is looking like a 5- to 8-win team year-in, year-out.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I've yet to study up on the available coaches outside of the obvious big names that get tossed around

Here's a thingamajig I threw together for my Bears board that lays the table for potentially available coaches:

NCAA:

Bo Pelini, Nebraska.

Defense and discipline. NFL experience as an assistant coach.

Dave Shaw, Stanford.

Offensive-oriented guy who's developed loads of NFL talent and has NFL experience.

Brian Kelly, Notre Dame.

Multi-faceted overseer with a knack for getting the most out of the talent around him. Not without controversy, however.

Chip Kelly, Oregon.

Unconventional offensive prowess, much-coveted by several NFL teams. Unsure of how it will translate to the pro game, however.

Nick Saban, Alabama.

Much-acclaimed guy with great college success, but mixed NFL tenure. Acquisition would come at a heavy price.

BLUE-CHIP COORDINATORS:

Tom Clements, Packers.

Potential second coming of Joe Philbin; mild-mannered, soft-spoken, but greatly respected and highly intelligent NFL veteran coach.

Vic Fangio, 49ers.

Older guy who's spent a long time in the NFL and overseen some of the great defenses of the modern era. Never a head coach, however.

Ken Norton, Seahawks.

Positional coach who's had no experience as a coordinator, but it's said he's a masterful teacher and has the "It" factor to be plucked to the next level straightaway.

Dave Toub, Bears.

Known for his savvy with special teams, but more to the point is his ability to gauge a roster. May not be ready for a head coaching job, but he's gotten too much interest for it to merely be speculation.

Ray Horton, Cardinals.

Winner of two super bowls as an assistant coach and known for his ability to get the most out of his players, defensive motivator who has a great passion, but it's yet to be seen how serious the interest in him is.

Mike McCoy, Broncos.

Offensive mastermind with a knack for quick results and accommodating his playbook to the talent at hand. Lots of head coach interest last year, may be ready for the next level.

Bruce Arians, Colts.

One of the great stories of the year, Arians stepped into Chuck Pagano's shoes and led the Colts to a playoff berth. Former SB winner has earned his chance to maybe get a full time gig.

(SOON TO BE?) FORMER-HEAD-COACHES & FREE AGENTS

Mike Holmgren, Browns.

It's been a sorry few years for Holmgren as the Browns GM, but with yet another house-cleaning nigh, Mike has expressed interest in returning to the field.

Bill Cowher, CBS Sports.

It's growing tired hearing THIS song again, but with the multitude of spots potentially available across the NFL, this may just be the year The Chin comes out of retirement. Don't hold your breath.

Andy Reid, Eagles.

Reid's a fine case of a decent coach overstaying his welcome on a team that's been in dire need of new blood. Reid's star has certainly fallen and his abilities as a motivator and game manager are certainly in question (not to mention his personal battles off the field), but sometimes a new start is just what the doctor ordered.

Jon Gruden, ESPN.

The darling of most teams with :censored:ty coaches, Gruden's been drooled over for many moons. Despite that adoration, Gruden's expressed little vocally regarding a return to the gridiron. He seems rather content as a broadcaster, but if the right offer came along, who knows.

Josh McDaniels, Patriots.

He bombed in Denver, but rumors are swirling that he's ready to restore his name and prove the doubters wrong. The Browns have been the speculated suitors, but it's hard to gauge the leeway with which teams will show interest in handing the keys to this guy again.

Ron Rivera, Panthers.

Chico had head coach written all over him after he left the Bears, but in Carolina he's been a mixed bag. They've lost a lot of hard luck games, but with the Panthers wanting a new GM, Rivera's time may be up.

Chan Gailey, Bills.

Raised some eyebrows when he was mysteriously hired by Buffalo a few years ago, but the mercurial and oft-disappointing Bills sharpened the axe that's swinging his way within days. Been around the league for many years, but this opportunity may have been his final one as a head man.

Mike Mularkey, Jaguars.

Once a prized head coach candidate, Mularkey's stay in Jacksonville appears to have been nothing more than a placeholder hiring. Could potentially do more on a new squad that's committed to working with him over time.

Norv Turner, Chargers.

The much-hated brother of Ron is back on the market after a grueling and tediously long tenure as the Chargers coach. His teams have shown flashes of greatness, but an absolute refusal to finish.

Ken Wisenhunt, Cardinals.

Another man supposedly thought to be on-the-come, Wisenhunt couldn't craft a winner out west. Young coach with a long career ahead of him, but Arizona wasn't his best stuff.

Jim Schwartz, Lions.

Supposedly a great defensive mind and disciplinarian who has installed some great players on defense but not a scrap of discipline.

Good list... I would add Jay Gruden and Perry Farwell to your list of coordinators and call it a hunch, but I could see the Les Miles grabbing an NFL job if the right one came along.

I don't have a lot of time to give you a lengthy answer as I would like to when discussing the Lions, but I'll try to give a quick one.

As I've mentioned before, I still believe Schwartz was the right hire in '08. It was a team that needed an infusion of attitude, passion, and talent. But now the dynamic of the team has flipped 180 and Schwartz has shown that he is incapable of managing an NFL team (both in-game and within a locker room) at a professional level... With the youth and inexperience on the team, they need a coach who will demand accountability and who has run a system that the young players can buy into... Someone in the John Fox, Mike Shanahan, Jeff Fisher mold.

I've yet to study up on the available coaches outside of the obvious big names that get tossed around: Saban, Gruden, Cowher (who is a fan favorite in the Detroit area), etc... In my fluffy cornbread dreamworld, Tony Dungy and his enormous heart takes pity on us and becomes the NFL's first mentor-coach. But I find it unlikely that the Lions will be able to swing a big name, so that either leaves the old washed up options that have failed with other teams (the Norv Turners and Wade Phillips of the world) or try to find another up-and-coming coach who is either an NFL coordinator (I believe the Giants D-Coordinator is very highly regarded as a potential HC) or a current college guy who is looking for a change of scenery (Bill O'Brien, Les Miles?).

We'll see if Ford actually pulls the plug on Schwartz, but there's definitely less quality options seemingly available than in the past few years. Hopefully the Lions talented young nucleus and a top-5 draft pick is enough to sway a good coach to come aboard if that happens.

Great response. I agree with pretty much all of it -- I think it's easy to lose sight of how far Schwartz has brought this team in the last few years when it's surrounded by futility for the most part. I mean, we made the playoffs last year, but aside from that hot start, he's moved the team from a tackling dummy to a respectable opponent. The discipline ultimately has been his undoing, unfortunately, and I think that's why we (and I think most Lions fans) are yearning for the Foxs and Fishers of the world. Seems that this team has been so close for too long, and maybe a coaching change will help that.

The one thing I didn't agree with you on though: the attractiveness of this job. I may be overselling the position, but thinking about coaching Stafford, Johnson, Suh, etc. has to be enticing. You add the young nucleus of talent surrounding them in the likes of Pettigrew, Leshoure, Delmas, Farley, Avril, Broyles, etc., and I think it's even harder to say no. If they get a hire in quickly, they'd have a lot of pull with the almost 30 free agents this team is looking at this off season, too. Lots of opportunity to make this team your own right away. The #5 overall pick is just the cherry on top.

If I'm making a wish for a new coach, I'm hoping for an offensive-minded guy with a very disciplined approach. It's the fastest road to success for this team. That D needs help, but the O is ready to go for the most part -- and a guy like Fisher or Shanny would keep the young guys in line.

I think this team got the head coach position right for the first time in a long time -- if they do get rid of JS, I hope they choose correctly again, and not another Marinelli/Mooch/Morninwheig/etc.

Also, top notch list, Andy.

Andy Reid needs to take a couple years off, he needs to spend time with his family after the tragedy of this past summer. He's emotionally spent.

Bruce Arians would have to be at the top of many teams lists. Tom Clements probably needs a few more years at Offensive Coordinator, I fully expect him to be a Head Coach soon. Plus I think the Pack are grooming Edgar Bennett to eventually be OC, the way they groomed Clements.

Β 

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Β 

Archived