2013 NFL Off-Season Thread

Island_Style

To be honest, I don't hate the trade for Kansas City. They needed a quarterback badly and Smith's probably better than anyone that they'd get in the draft. I don't see why they didn't just go after Matt Moore who's also a free agent and arguably just as serviceable as Alex Smith, but maybe it's because Reid has always liked Smith since he was drafted. Now if they draft this lineman out of A&M, they could have a decent offense. They're not contending for the playoffs next year, but I could definitely see them winning 8 games.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Per Jay Glazer via twitter Alex Smith to the Chiefs for 2nd round picks this and next year and possibly more.

Sad that the 49ers treated Smith like garbage, after the concussion that put Cap as the starter. I'd understand if he had sucked before replacement, but Smith was solid before the hit, sans the Giants game in Week 7. It's basically the team telling him, "hey thanks for your services, but no severance pay," kinda like how employees are firing workers for the stupidest reasons. Smith was treated after Week 8 the same way Aaron Rodgers was disrespected in Green Bay in the last years of Favre as a Packer (Smith and Rodgers have been the most disrespected QBs of the modern era in my opinion).

I'm not going to be surprised if Smith and Cap had a Montana-Young style riff in San Fran, nor I would be surprised if he gets booed the first chance the Chiefs play the Niners. Hope Alex splits a new a**hole on his former team and puts Tabasco sauce the first chance he gets.

Booed? Alex Smith actually got a standing O when he made a late-game appearance against the Cardinals in Week 17, and the fans in general seemed to have completely come around on Smith for his play in 2011 and 2012, after his terrible play of his first six seasons. I don't see why San Francisco fans would begrudge Smith after the fact. They should all feel lucky that Kaepernick turned out to be the real deal, because I still refuse to believe that keeping with Kaep after the injury was the truly "correct" move - it just worked out that way.

spacer.png

Rodgers disrespected? People treat him like an elite QB and nothing less.

Prior to Favre leaving the Packers was the time period I referred to. Packers management didn't know what to do with Rodgers because Favre couldn't make up his damn mind if he still wanted to play. Hard to believe that it's almost 5 years since that saga happened.

Prior to Favre leaving the Packers was the time period I referred to. Packers management didn't know what to do with Rodgers because Favre couldn't make up his damn mind if he still wanted to play. Hard to believe that it's almost 5 years since that saga happened.

It wasn't that they didn't know what to do with Rodgers - they certainly wanted him to be the next starting QB. What they didn't know is when that would be.

To be honest, I don't hate the trade for Kansas City. They needed a quarterback badly and Smith's probably better than anyone that they'd get in the draft.

Geno Smith's potential >>>>> Alex Smith's mediocrity

As it stands, they gave up two valuable draft picks for the "privilege" of overdrafting Joeckel at #1 and asking a game manager to turn around their 2-14 team.

Terrible trade for the Chiefs.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

It wasn't that they didn't know what to do with Rodgers - they certainly wanted him to be the next starting QB. What they didn't know is when that would be.

The only reason they didn't know is because Brett Favre wouldn't make up his damn mind. Even before his first "retirement," he held the Packers hostage every off-season after Rodgers was drafted. Granted, I can't complain about the way things ended up playing out, but Brett really did take a steaming dump on his legacy when he could've gone out every bit as revered by the Cheeseheads as Vince Lombardi.

If Geno Smith's the best QB in the draft, I'd trade for Alex Smith and draft linemen too. This is a bad draft for quarterbacks.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm pretty sure they haven't drafted a QB in the first round since Blackledge.

To add to that, the Chiefs haven't won a game with a quarterback they've drafted since Blackledge back in 1987.

Yeah but just about every team in the NFL can point to at least one success story over the last 50 years in regards to drafting and developing a future starting QB.

Who are the teams that can't? Houston, maybe Tampa Bay depending on how successful you consider Doug Williams and Vinny Testaverde, and maybe Jacksonville depending on your thoughts on David Garrard. So two you can say for sure and four at the most.

Every other team has had at least one if not more drafted QB's that went on to have a decent amount of success as a starter with that franchise in the Super Bowl era.

The only reason they didn't know is because Brett Favre wouldn't make up his damn mind. Even before his first "retirement," he held the Packers hostage every off-season after Rodgers was drafted. Granted, I can't complain about the way things ended up playing out, but Brett really did take a steaming dump on his legacy when he could've gone out every bit as revered by the Cheeseheads as Vince Lombardi.

True enough. But the point is that Rodgers wasn't in any way disrespected or devalued. The Packers knew that they had a superstar in the wings.

I do hope Jeff Fisher has designs on upgrading the receiver corps. Like this offseason maybe.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

To be honest, I don't hate the trade for Kansas City. They needed a quarterback badly and Smith's probably better than anyone that they'd get in the draft. I don't see why they didn't just go after Matt Moore who's also a free agent and arguably just as serviceable as Alex Smith, but maybe it's because Reid has always liked Smith since he was drafted. Now if they draft this lineman out of A&M, they could have a decent offense. They're not contending for the playoffs next year, but I could definitely see them winning 8 games.

I don't think it's a bad trade, either. I've always thought that the NFL way overvalues draft picks. Maybe it's because I'm a Bills fan and our draft picks rarely turn into quality players, but if you come back in a couple of years and see who the Niners actually got instead of the nameless picks, I think the deal will look a lot better for the Chiefs.

I don't think Alex Smith throws enough INT's to be a quarterback for an Andy Reid coached team.

Oh, and I don't think Boston Globe writer Chad Finn could've slobbered any more than he did in this Tom Brady piece. :censored: ing nauseating.

I love how bad the media is. This is pretty much verbatim from ESPN Radio earlier: "Tom Brady restructures his deal; should we blame other quarterbacks who don't do the same?" What?!? The guy's probably made well over $100M in salary, another $50M maybe from endorsements, and his wife makes even more money than he does.

If you're the Jets are you sending Revis to San Francisco for their first two draft picks? What about Revis for Aldon Smith straight up since they desperately need a pass rusher?

If they're trading Revis which they will probably have to do because I don't think they can resign him, then I would want two first rounders if I'm Jets and I wouldn't back down on that either. If that means I lose him via free agency then so be it. But this is a guy who was arguably the best defensive player in the NFL before he got hurt. I'm not just handing somebody like that over to another team for a couple mid-round picks. You want to sign a guy that can potentially put you over the top to win a Super Bowl, its going to cost you.

I doubt he's going to go to San Francisco though. Your already starting to hear that they're pulling out of trade talks. I do think somebody is going to get desperate enough to say yes though before the start of the season.

I don't know about their cap situation, but Tampa should make a play for him. They had the worst pass D in the league last year, and he would improve that immediately. If they improve their pass rush and the offense stayssolid, then they could be in the playoffs.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Archived