2013 NFL Off-Season Thread

Island_Style

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Proposed rule changes for next year as reported by Pro Football Talk:

===

1. A play that would have been automatically reviewed by instant replay will still be reviewed even if a coach throws his challenge flag. Any coach who challenges a play that hes not permitted to challenge would be charged a timeout, and wouldnt get his timeout back even if he wins the challenge, or would lose 15 yards if his team is out of timeouts. But the play itself will still be reviewed. Call this the Jim Schwartz Rule. The league will also consider reviewing incomplete passes that are ruled a fumble all the way through the fumble if a play is ruled on the field to be incomplete and overturned on replay as a fumble, the replay can consider everything that happens after that fumble.

2. Player safety: On field goals and extra points, restrictions are added to what rush teams can do. No more than six defensive players would be permitted to align on either side of the snapper, defensive players cant push their teammates across the line, and the long snapper is considered a defenseless player.

3. Eliminate the tuck rule.

4. Allow tight ends and H-backs to wear 40-49.

5. Player safety: Offensive players will not be allowed to block low when going toward their own end lines in the tackle box. Cant go low when peeling back anywhere on the field.

6. Player safety: Initiating contact with the crown of the helmet is a foul if the runner or tackler delivers a forceable blow against his opponent when both players are outside the tackle box.

Proposed bylaw changes

1. The waiver period will be such that a team that claims a player only needs to keep him for one day, not two days.

2. Adjust the physically unable to perform status to allow players on PUP to practice for any three-week period from Week Six through Week Eleven.

3. Move the final roster cutdown date one day earlier.

The NFL is also planning two new points of emphasis:

1. Mandatory thigh and knee pads this isnt a new rule but the officials will start actively enforcing the rule, rather than just urging players to wear the pads as they did last year. A player who refuses to comply with the rule wont be allowed on the field.

2. Fields must be maintained up to NFL standards, and the league can require clubs to maintain their fields up to the leagues high standards, at the clubs expense.

===

My first take:

1. Makes sense.

2. Good grief. Just let them have a free kick.

3. YES! (I know a fumble when I see one and I've seen a few that were disallowed under this stupid rule.)

4. Dallas Clark has been doing that for years.

5. Probably makes sense but feels like more softening of the game.

6. Lowering your head is human nature. Get ready for a flag on every running play if this passes.

Don't really care about the rest other than Point of Emphasis #2. It's way beyond time.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

2. Fields must be maintained up to NFL standards, and the league can require clubs to maintain their fields up to the league’s high standards, at the club’s expense.

Soldier Field Rule.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Who's this Conner Barwin fellow? Am I the only person who's never heard of him?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2. Fields must be maintained up to NFL standards, and the league can require clubs to maintain their fields up to the league’s high standards, at the club’s expense.

Soldier Field Rule.

Or Washington's field (FedEx?)...

Or the Oakland-Alameda County Network-Associated McAfee Baseball Coliseum presented by Overstock.com.

He had a great 2011 for the Texans, but a really, really bad 2012. I don't think he's worth the money, as he was statistically one of the worst OLB's in football last year -- and that was with JJ Watt taking up a lot of the offenses attention. We'll see, though. If the Eagles get something more like 2011 Connor Barwin it'll be a great pickup.

IUe6Hvh.png

He had a great 2011 for the Texans, but a really, really bad 2012. I don't think he's worth the money, as he was statistically one of the worst OLB's in football last year -- and that was with JJ Watt taking up a lot of the offenses attention. We'll see, though. If the Eagles get something more like 2011 Connor Barwin it'll be a great pickup.

Barwin looked really bad due to the fact that the Texans lost one of the best ILBs in week 5 when Brian Cushing tore his ACL. Brady James could not just move over on the inside to replace Cushing, and Tim Robbins tried his best to replace Cushing. He did a servicable job, but both he and Darryl Sharpton were placed on IR by week 17. The result was that Barrett Rudd was on the roster during the playoffs.

The Texans also has OLB issues, opposite Barwin as LB Brooks Reed basically missed the last five games of the season.

Barwin looked really bad due to the fact that the Texans lost one of the best ILBs in week 5 when Brian Cushing tore his ACL. Brady James could not just move over on the inside to replace Cushing, and Tim Robbins tried his best to replace Cushing. He did a servicable job, but both he and Darryl Sharpton were placed on IR by week 17. The result was that Barrett Rudd was on the roster during the playoffs.

The Texans also has OLB issues, opposite Barwin as LB Brooks Reed basically missed the last five games of the season.

Fair enough. Still, with JJ Watt drawing so much attention I would still say that Barwin probably should've had a better year than he did. He was bad in pass coverage, bad against the run, and only had three sacks. I suspect last year was an anomaly and, in the end, he'll be a good pickup.

IUe6Hvh.png

I smell the Dolphins rising in the East

I think they are going to make the playoffs this year. Tannehill will improve and they got good free agents, plus the draft. They will be 9-7 or 10-6.

I don't see it because they fail to even have an average draft. It does not matter who was the GM or the guy making the picks: Speilman, Mueller, Parcells, Ireland. They have not done well.

Take a look at their 1st Round picks in the last decade:

2012: Ryan Tannehill

2011: Mike Pouncey

2010: Jared Odrick

2009: Vontae Davis (Traded to IND last year)

2008: Jake Long (#1 overall; Currently a UFA)

2007: Ted Ginn, Jr. (#9 overall: Traded to SF in 2010)

2006: Jason Allen (#16 overall; cut in 2010)

2005: Ronnie Brown (#2 overall; not re-signed after the 2010 season)

2004: Vernon Carey (Spent entire career in MIA and retired this off season)

This is the same team who gave up two 2nd Round picks for Brandon Marshall who was later traded for two 3rd Round picks. They also used the #44 overall in 2009 to draft Pat White. If Jake Long does not return, getting Ellerbee is just like the signing of Dansby in 2010 since they are both FA linebackers who play the same position. They just got younger, but took a $4M cap hit this year and saved $15M in cash in the next two years do cut Dansby.

They are spending and oversigning to try to convince Miami-Dade voters to get public $$$ for the SunLife Stadium canopy.

I'm a fair bit disappointed the Bucs let Michael Bennett walk, especially on such a paltry contract (1/$5M), but holy crap will Seattle have an outstanding D-line in 2013, with the additions of Bennett and Avril. Not that Seattle wasn't already set defensively with arguably the best back-4 in the league as it was...

spacer.png

Agent screws up, and thus Elvis Dumervil is a free agent.

http://www.usatoday....-elway/1990913/

Why are people still using fax machines in this day and age? Its like the office version of the payphone. I know they still make them and people still use them. I just don't know who they are or why.

It has to do with signatures on facsimiles being legally binding.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived