2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

How about we wait to see the full uniform before we put it in a box?

Edit: Forgot where I was. Let's continue to use tiny image leaks and rumors to create diatribes for all of professional uniform aesthetics.

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is probably the '90s-est game ever played.

--

Re: Sodboy's video - remember how that's how the NHL did things in the '90s on weekend afternoons, with every game scheduled to be, like, 3:00 PM ET starts, and it was regional coverage? That's one area where the NHL has drastically improved with over the years, especially considering that it was significantly harder to keep tabs (let alone watch) other games back then. There was certainly no hijacking streams back in the '90s, when things like Netscape were still being used.

John Davidson - "specialty teams". Hahahahah.

spacer.png

I'm a little confused as to why people are SO down on the Canes' new look?

Because they're not an Original Six team yet they're trying to dress like one.

They also had a fine look already that was uniquely theirs, one that saw a Stanley Cup victory. Now they're abandoning all that brand equity in order to hop on the retro-for-retro's-sake bandwagon. God forbid any pro team gets creative anymore! People whine about college uniforms but at least colleges are willing to try new things.

Just for clarity :

Teams with striping across the waist on home/away:

Original 6:

1. NYR

2. Boston

3. Chicago

4. Detroit

5. Toronto (finally)

6. Mtl.

but then we have:

7. Ducks *

8. Sabres

9. Canes

10. Stars (potentially)

11. Oilers

12. Kings (50%)

13. Wild (50%)

14. Predators *

15. Devils

16. Islanders

17. Flyers

18. Sharks (potentially)

19. Lightning

20. Canucks

21. Jets

So 21 of 30 teams opt for the "traditional" way of designing a uniform with waist striping.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there a LOT of teams playing Original 6 dress-up?

The Preds basically do, but I put a * next to them because they came up with a lot of unique elements to make that jersey their own.

The Ducks' swooping stripe is also unique.

What other teams have recently changed their jersey and "ruined it" by pretending to be Original 6?

Hem stripes are a staple element of any hockey sweater modern, or retro. Not sure where you derived that that feature alone qualified as "O6 dressup" and I don't recall anyone implying that either.

The main issue I see people having with the Canes' new look is that, like LO said, it appears they're throwing away a look that was true to their brand and current market for something generic. Traditional doesn't look bad for anyone, but now we have even more hockey teams in the NHL looking like each other with less originality. I believe that for every Crimson Tide there must be a Duck and the Hurricanes had something good going for them, aside from the phantom yokes. They only needed a quick cleanup and now it's only going to be a matter of years before they realize it.

Midway.png

Hem stripes are a staple element of any hockey sweater modern, or retro. Not sure where you derived that that feature alone qualified as "O6 dressup" and I don't recall anyone implying that either.

The main issue I see people having with the Canes' new look is that, like LO said, it appears they're throwing away a look that was true to their brand and current market for something generic. Traditional doesn't look bad for anyone, but now we have even more hockey teams in the NHL looking like each other with less originality. I believe that for every Crimson Tide there must be a Duck and the Hurricanes had something good going for them, aside from the phantom yokes. They only needed a quick cleanup and now it's only going to be a matter of years before they realize it.

You hit the nail right on the head.

Trust me, it's been implied heavily in this thread. The Lightning were accused of playing "O6 dress-up" after taking the striping and colors of the Leafs. Now, similarly, the Canes are being accused of robbing the striping patterns from the Red Wings (since they have black and some silver...the talk of "stealing" the Red Wings colors seems to be a stretch), along with other elements of their look (socks/ all-red apparel, etc.)

However, what I'm saying to you is :

Show me all these examples of "O6 dress-up." You want to cite the TBL, ok... If the Canes look lacks the warning squares and flags, I guess it would count. Maybe we can throw the Avs into that pile (losing the mountain range), and perhaps even the Stars (for ditching the star outline).

While I'm all for originality and being true to your market, was any Canes jersey that memorable? Did the Lightning have amazing sweaters? I'd argue no -- for all their "uniqueness."

You hit the nail right on the head.

Except that he didn't. You're making the assumption that anything unique = good. Are the Ducks and Canes 2 teams whose jerseys were so breathtaking?

I think people are hypersensitive to the simplification of the Hurricanes' uniform because the owner has a known terminal case of Red Wings envy. One is enough, thank you.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm a little confused as to why people are SO down on the Canes' new look?

Because they're not an Original Six team yet they're trying to dress like one.

We haven't seen the full set yet. A more traditional design does automatically mean "Original Six." If they end up replicating a striping pattern previously used by the Whalers (who this team is, technically) then I see no foul.

They also had a fine look already that was uniquely theirs, one that saw a Stanley Cup victory. Now they're abandoning all that brand equity in order to hop on the retro-for-retro's-sake bandwagon. God forbid any pro team gets creative anymore! People whine about college uniforms but at least colleges are willing to try new things.

As for the Hurricanes' Stanley Cup era look? I like it. A lot actually. The hurricane warning flags in the hem stripes are a perfect example of creativity that doesn't descend into madness. If the Hurricanes kept that look for the rest of their existence I wouldn't complain. That being said we're all capable of liking more then one design for any one team. Yeah, the Cup uniforms were great (and my preference for whatever it's worth), but red, black, white, and silver Whalers-inspired uniforms would be cool too.

Does anyone know what the limitations are for the Ducks to use the Mighty logo?

I thought they couldn't use it at all and yet now it's on their third jersey?

For the record, Anaheim's original jersey was amazing but I loved the Nike alternates. In fact there's a supposed prototype on eBay right now.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?index=0&sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=140980657666

I don't think that's a real prototype. There does exist (I own it) a prototype of that jersey with the silver and eggplant inverted. The reason I say I don't think that's real is because I've come across a few of those and every one has been a blank jersey with the crest attached later. I'd love to be proven wrong but all the evidence I've seen says otherwise.

Edit: I think a red/black/silver striped set would look great for Carolina. See: the old IHL's Kansas City Blades.

And is a red and white fill-tool sweater any more memorable than one that included a unique but subtle hem stripe, a healthy dose of silver accents, and shoulder patches? I'm not seeing your dog in this fight because memorable in my mind is one that truly stands out, though not perfect. The brand is what matters and Carolina is not doing a good job of embracing that brand.

Midway.png

I think people are hypersensitive to the simplification of the Hurricanes' uniform because the owner has a known terminal case of Red Wings envy. One is enough, thank you.

Good point. I see what you're saying, but at this point, aren't we used to the Canes in this color scheme, etc.? People are acting like he is turning the Whalers into the Red Wings...

And is a red and white fill-tool sweater any more memorable than one that included a unique but subtle hem stripe, a healthy dose of silver accents, and shoulder patches? I'm not seeing your dog in this fight because memorable in my mind is one that truly stands out, though not perfect. The brand is what matters and Carolina is not doing a good job of embracing that brand.

I'd call the Ottawa Senators a fill-tool sweater, not what I'm seeing bandied about in these images, 1.

My "dog" is the Rangers...right? I don't care at all about the Canes. I don't think discussions should be distilled to A or B. I'm somewhere in the middle. I have no vested interest, only an interest in honest discussion. I think the Canes are going to come out of this with a nice look that may lose a tad of its originality... 2.

And they are failing to "embrace" their brand by keeping the same logo and colors... killing stupid phantom yokes and POTENTIALLY using elements of Whaler striping? ...3.

I guess you could call this my perspective:

I'm becoming sensitive to the oversensitivity surrounding this sweater. I think the team has done a great job in marketing the change through social media, and I think we're going to see a solidhockey jersey in the end, just without an element or two that we enjoy. I realize it's more chic to just go on bashing sessions and rants, but in this instance, I feel a need to just tell people to "take a deep breath" and fancy the prospect of this not being a trainwreck, which I know many are envisioning.

Todays Canes teaser seems to confirm the red yoke on the white sweater and the loss of the shoulder patches.

Untitled-4.png

Ugh. Disappointing.

Montreal Canadiens?

It appears as if the collar is black.

There should be some white outlining, then. Red and black don't transition that well into each other without a light buffer colour, preferably white (though a light silver/gray does kinda work...).

spacer.png

Sigh. This all goes into the Stars/North Stars debate. I'm more of a "stay on your current side of the fence" when it comes to two brands in one franchise.

I think their brand is enhanced by pushing their current look, not abandoning it. Going back to Whalers striping only comes off as copping out of something truly unique and aestheticaesthetically pleasing to something "safe"

Or is that the mantra these days? To play it safe like the Lightning did? There used to be a time when their was good, honest design that was also innovative. Your Rangers got their diagonal script from that type of brand enhancing mentality, as did the Ducks and their diagonal hem stripes, the Lightning and their victory stripes and lightning bolt pants stripe. It work for some teams to bail and go throwback, but it doesn't work for others. The Hurricanes are in Raleigh now not Hartford and for good designs' sake they should avoid abandoning ship for something that they're not. Inb4 "but they are the Whalers and have every right to throwback." I know.

NYYNYR: Just gonna add that I'm not expecting a train wreck. I'm sure it'll look just fine in the end. You make some sound points and I respect your opinions. I'm just merely defending their unique look atm.

Midway.png

I think the crux of what I said makes sense. Newer designs are going for something with these false yokes and shoulder-patch overkill... It takes a nice jersey and muddies it a touch...

Carolina%20Hurricanes%20jerseys.jpg

rbkp_calgary.jpg

Sometimes, less is more

You're putting these designs in the same category? Carolina only needs to remove the phantom yoke to have a solid design. Calgary on the other hand has zero redeeming qualities. Remove the the tacky flags and the jerseys are still in bottom 5 of the league if not the very bottom...

Yes, a new set is desperately needed, but "zero redeeming qualities"?! Calgary has the best logo in the NHL and a great colour scheme. The tributes to Canada and Alberta are poorly executed but are still redeeming qualities.

We haven't even seen the Hurricanes new look yet. Let's wait until we get a full picture and then if it's a derivative piece of crap then we can jump all over it. As of right now, you're freaking out over something you might not need to freak out over.

I don't know where this idea that the current trend is to go boring and "dress up like O6" came from. One team did it. One team. The Lightning, and they're deservedly panned.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Sigh. This all goes into the Stars/North Stars debate. I'm more of a "stay on your current side of the fence" when it comes to two brands in one franchise.

I think their brand is enhanced by pushing their current look, not abandoning it. Going back to Whalers striping only comes off as copping out of something truly unique and aestheticaesthetically pleasing to something "safe"

Or is that the mantra these days? To play it safe like the Lightning did? There used to be a time when their was good, honest design that was also innovative. Your Rangers got their diagonal script from that type of brand enhancing mentality, as did the Ducks and their diagonal hem stripes, the Lightning and their victory stripes and lightning bolt pants stripe. It work for some teams to bail and go throwback, but it doesn't work for others. The Hurricanes are in Raleigh now not Hartford and for good designs' sake they should avoid abandoning ship for something that they're not. Inb4 "but they are the Whalers and have every right to throwback." I know.

NYYNYR: Just gonna add that I'm not expecting a train wreck. I'm sure it'll look just fine in the end. You make some sound points and I respect your opinions. I'm just merely defending their unique look atm.

So would your argument be that the aforementioned Flames are not in Atlanta anymore and should ditch their "Atlanta A" logo to denote their alternate captains?

We haven't even seen the Hurricanes new look yet. Let's wait until we get a full picture and then if it's a derivative piece of crap then we can jump all over it. As of right now, you're freaking out over something you might not need to freak out over.

I don't know where this idea that the current trend is to go boring and "dress up like O6" came from. One team did it. One team. The Lightning, and they're deservedly panned.

Now that, my friends, is a good post.

Archived