The 2013 NHL Season Thread

charger77

They don't own the building. St. Louis does. They instead own the master lease, which in theory should be the best of all possible worlds because they get all the revenue with none of the property taxes, but the Blues have never found a financial situation they couldn't cack up somehow.

It is weird that despite their very solid support, the St. Louis Blues are seemingly on the brink of calamity roughly every, oh, what, five years? They've been sold three or four times simply because the owners couldn't take the bleeding anymore. They almost moved to Saskatoon. They sat out an entire draft because they thought they were going to fold. I think part of the problem is that the Blues aren't charging what the market will bear for tickets, advertising, rights fees, and so forth. The other part is that St. Louis is in all likelihood overextended as a three-sport town.

Honey? it happened again!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What the hell? Didn't they just get sold?

Yup, evidently to a guy with no money.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm embarrassed at how I was like "they obviously have to make sure this team winds up with Tom Stillman because we all know Matt Hulsizer has no actual money." Apparently, nor does Stillman! What does this team have to do to not bleed money? The arena seems pretty busy; it's the biggest one for miles, so there's no reason it wouldn't be. The Blues are on the upswing, competitively speaking. The gameday experience seems like one of the better ones in the league. Why can't this team do business like it should? It's frustrating. They should be doing so much better.

With the way it's going in this league with Bettman in charge, could we see the blue note with a fleur-de-lis on it instead of the Coyotes?

We shouldn't. It's a civically passionate Midwestern city with a solid middle class (in the suburbs, at least) and a growing tech sector. That, by rights, is the recipe for a solid NHL market. I just don't know for the life of me what the problem is.

Hell, if I'd known you could buy them without money...

You didn't know you can buy NHL teams without money??? And you post at this board???

:censored: it, I'm buying the Coyotes tomorrow.
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Hell, if I'd known you could buy them without money...

You didn't know you can buy NHL teams without money??? And you post at this board???

I'm new here. But now that I know, I'm buying the Carolina Hurricanes and moving them to Dubuque, Iowa.

BB52Big.jpg

Oh good, thanks, now I won't have to keep hearing about how their propensity for consuming food before games makes them among the league's best fans.

I can help you, niners! Here's my plan:

Buy the Sharks, move them to Cincinnati, merge with the Wild, move the Wild Sharks to Houston, take my share out and buy an expansion team for Sacramento.

It's fool proof.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

It's the hockey message board for people who can't find better hockey message boards. That's why they have such a raging bias for sunbelt teams; fans of teams that matter generally have the good sense to post at more intelligent team-specific communities (Chicago and Calgary off the top of my head are HF ghost towns), leaving the board to perpetually indignant Coyotes/Panthers/Sharks fans whose delicate sensibilities need to be mollycoddled at every turn. It used to be open season on all things Winnipeg, with any retorts being immediately reported, deleted, and infracted.

Unfortunately, the sheer volume of it makes it necessary to keep tabs on, if only for comedy value. Business of Hockey is good about posting relevant news articles, though the commentary there is asinine at best and utterly inscrutable at worst (Killion).

It's the hockey message board for people who can't find better hockey message boards. That's why they have such a raging bias for sunbelt teams; fans of teams that matter generally have the good sense to post at more intelligent team-specific boards (Chicago and Calgary off the top of my head are HF ghost towns), leaving the board to perpetually indignant Coyotes/Panthers/Sharks fans whose delicate sensibilities need to be mollycoddled at every turn. It used to be open season on all things Winnipeg, with any retorts being immediately reported, deleted, and infracted.

Kinda surprised I haven't seen too much of this yet. Then again, the only section I've even seen the past two days was the HoH one. I guess, as someone who wants to learn about sports histories and desires to have an extensive personal library in the future, history sections appeal to me.

It's like I endeavor to be a jack-of-all-trades version of Tim Kurkjian.

spacer.png

Are the Canucks spoken for yet? I want to buy them and move them to Peoria.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Can I buy the Maple Leafs and move them to Tijuana?

Bettman Logic: "It would provide an opportunity for Mexicans to get into the game of hockey and serve as a de facto local team for people from San Diego. It will also give room for that new team Toronto that everyone is buzzing about."

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

I can help you, niners! Here's my plan:

Buy the Sharks, move them to Cincinnati, merge with the Wild, move the Wild Sharks to Houston,

take my share out and buy an expansion team for Sacramento.

It's fool proof.

Perfect. Just perfect. ;)

I forgot though, that Burkle will be a part of the Kings. Maybe, just maybe he can move the Pens here. :P

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Buy the L.A. Kings, move them to Sacramento, swap names with the Utah Jazz...

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived