The 2013 NHL Season Thread

charger77

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that they officially have a team to have fans who can get their feelings hurt, you can't safely call it a frozen craphole full of antifreeze-drinking poor people who would just lose their team right away if they ever got it back, which they never will. Now you can only get away with that half the time. Baby steps.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Now that they officially have a team to have fans who can get their feelings hurt, you can't safely call it a frozen craphole full of antifreeze-drinking poor people who would just lose their team right away if they ever got it back, which they never will. Now you can only get away with that half the time. Baby steps.

Sure you can. What happens when the novelty wears off and they still haven't won a playoff game and they can't spend to the cap and no one wants to go there anyway because it's a pee-pee soaked heckhole? Boom, they can't make money in a too-small arena and they move to whichever of Kansas City/Seattle/Quebec City the Coyotes didn't go to.

1zgyd8w.jpg

We've been over all this before. Several times. There are numerous failsafes, from ancillary revenue streams to revenue sharing (which the Jets pay into, if I'm not mistaken), all the way down (up?) to "the owner is an eccentric billionaire with a toy." Keep rooting against them, though!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yeah, when the team's owned by a real life Lord money's kind of not a problem. They won't have an issue spending to the cap.

Besides, most hockey players are from cold, barren places anyway. I don't think anyone's going find Winnipeg inhospitable. I mean the only two have downright refused to play there have been a whiny, self-serving glorified third liner who couldn't be bothered to be separated from the suburban hell he'd entrenched himself in and who doesn't understand how contracts work and an eccentric goalie who's objectively not very good. Dustin Byfuglien resigned with Atlanta knowing he'd end up playing in Winnipeg so the "people won't play there" speculation is kind of idiotic. But I wouldn't expect anything less from Elwood "is possibly Gary Bettman himself" Cuse.

Now as for playoffs, it looks like they're actually going to make them this year. And all they need to do is win a single game to achieve more then they ever did in Atlanta on-ice-wise. As we've already documented they've already outperformed Atlanta, a sunny, American metropolis, in Winnipeg, a "pee-pee soaked heck hole" of a Canadian prairie town, financially speaking.

Now as for playoffs, it looks like they're actually going to make them this year. And all they need to do is win a single game to achieve more then they ever did in Atlanta on-ice-wise. As we've already documented they've already outperformed Atlanta, a sunny, American metropolis, in Winnipeg, a "pee-pee soaked heck hole" of a Canadian prairie town, financially speaking.

Financially speaking, the Thrashers showed they could turn a profit when Turner/Time Warner owned the team, and that was for a crap product.

Many of you will never understand just how badly Atlanta Spirit treated the Thrashers. Whatever bad luck Columbus fans feel they've had over their existence, the Thrashers had it worse. Atlanta Spirit never wanted to give Atlanta a chance to support the Thrashers. They wanted to unload the team as soon as they bought them, and free up those 44 dates for concerts/shows/etc. (or charge a buttload for rent to a new Thrashers owner and not give up any percentage of concessions).

People still complain about the Jets being in Winnipeg?

Not as much as other complaints:

- Why can't Miami's NHL franchise relocate?

- When is Quebec City getting a team?

- When are the Whalers coming back? Their unis were amazing.

And the always infamous...

- When will Phoenix die a slow, painful death as a hockey market?

^ And winning 0 playoff games in 12 years doesn't help either in building a fanbase in a non-tradiotnal hockey market.

Not to mention Atlanta being mostly a Falcons/NFL city, along with the rest of its surrounding areas. It's a city where not even consecutive Braves division titles guarantee sellouts.

20130330_130353_zps76c96acc.jpg

Oh, he ain't pretty no more.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow.

I'm feeling sympathy pains.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived