Pro Teams' "Entrance Music"

illwauk

The Brooklyn Nets come out to "No Church in the Wild," although the intro video before that has some other song that I forget. Mentions Brooklyn though, of course.

The Boston Celtics used to use a 50 Cent song, not sure if they still do. I get why the Dropkick Murphys have become a sort of Boston sports house band but I've always wished the Celtics or someone else would use Pixies as intro music. Doesn't get more hyped-up than that.

the nets song in the entrance video is an original written by john forte called, "brooklyn: something to lean on."

the mets use "meet the mets" when they hit the field, which is absolutely what they should use and it's awesome.

sig2024.png

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When the world suffers a nuclear apocalypse and all living things are obliterated, still, on winter evenings from the remnants of the edifices we once called "hockey arenas," even with no one to play it and no one for whom to play it, through these abandoned husks will echo,

ALL ABBOOOOOOOAAAAAARRRRRD!!!!!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Syracuse basketball starts each half with "Welcome to the Jungle" blasting out. The four years I've been here the football team's ripped off VT with "Enter Sandman." I'm not sure if the Islanders still go out to "Baba O'Riley" or not. So yeah.. generic fare I guess. At least Syracuse lacrosse goes out to the combo of the theme to some horror move, "O Fortuna", the theme from "Last of the Mohicans", and Collective Soul's "Heavy" from NHL 2001. Then the Carrier Dome goes to its true and tired 8 songs used during media football and basketball timeouts for the rest of the warmup and ruins the flow of originality.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

When the world suffers a nuclear apocalypse and all living things are obliterated, still, on winter evenings from the remnants of the edifices we once called "hockey arenas," even with no one to play it and no one for whom to play it, through these abandoned husks will echo,

ALL ABBOOOOOOOAAAAAARRRRRD!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr5qDG3dQhc

spacer.png

The Angels play "Calling All Angels" with a montage of their history before each game and "Spirit in the Sky" when they announce the lineups. (Makes sense, right?) On the first game back from a road trip, they'll play "The Boys are Back in Town" when they run onto the field. The Angels played "Enter Sandman" during the opening video right before they took the field for years and they took it away two years ago. Post-game, they play "Celebration" after wins and "Jessica" after losses.

Arizona State football uses "Running with the Devil" (Go figure)

During the 2007 Stanley Cup playoffs and for two years after, the Ducks opened up with Saliva's "Ladies and Gentlemen". It looked like that was a tradition that was going to stick around because the Ducks were successful with it and the fans enjoyed it, but then it stopped. I think they brought it back for the playoffs against Nashville, so it may be designated as some sort of playoff song, but I'm not sure. But now it switches about three times in a normal season to some new generic hard rock song (For whatever reason, they've used a lot of Shinedown, which really kind of bugs me, because they suck.)

My favorite song the Ducks used was at the beginning of that 2006-07 Cup year. It was "Butterflies and Hurricanes" by Muse. It was one of the very few times that the song was awesome and the lyrics actually had real pertinent meaning for the team. They had just changed from Mighty Ducks to Ducks, changed the uniforms/logos, signed Scott Niedermayer the year before, traded for Chris Pronger, everyone was finally really looking at this team and they tried to change the whole attitude of the team/organization that they were serious, top Cup contenders and not some Disney side project. "Change everything you are, and everything you were... best, you've got to be the best... use this chance to be heard, your time is now." It just made sense, and that time was a change for the organization.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

The Cornhuskers use Siruis as well. I have YET to determine which team used it first, because both Husker Football and Bulls Basketball were massive dynasties in the 1990s.

Hint: it was not Nebraska

You are likely correct. Wikipedia mentions that the Bulls started using "Sirius" around the 1991-92 season, while Nebraska seems to have started using it around 1993. Wikipedia's not the most accurate source, but I tend to think that Chicago probably originated it as a player intro.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Syracuse basketball starts each half with "Welcome to the Jungle" blasting out. The four years I've been here the football team's ripped off VT with "Enter Sandman." I'm not sure if the Islanders still go out to "Baba O'Riley" or not. So yeah.. generic fare I guess. At least Syracuse lacrosse goes out to the combo of the theme to some horror move, "O Fortuna", the theme from "Last of the Mohicans", and Collective Soul's "Heavy" from NHL 2001. Then the Carrier Dome goes to its true and tired 8 songs used during media football and basketball timeouts for the rest of the warmup and ruins the flow of originality.

Nebraska football also uses "Welcome to the Jungle," but for kickoffs, not pre-game. Pretty standard fare for athletic teams.

While we're at it, we should just cross the following songs off the list:

Rock & Roll Part 2

Seven Nation Army

Welcome to the Jungle

Back In Black

Enter Sandman

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

The Lowell Devils used to enter to "Running With the Devil". I can't remember if New Jersey did it as well.

The NJ Devils have used that and Hells Bells in some capacity for the last couple of decades.

For years they always took to the ice to Yanni (100% for real):

That's fan made but it's the song. I hate the Devils but I always thought that was awesome.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

The Sabres come out to... the Sabre Dance. Been that way for so long (maybe since 1970), I can't imagine anything else.

I had no clue they did that. As a musician, I appreciate that they use Khachaturian's work although I worry about the connotation. The Sabre Dance has become almost tongue-in-cheek in modern parlance so I'd think that it conveys a feeling of ineptitude or something resembling the Keystone Kops.

UyDgMWP.jpg

The Sabres come out to... the Sabre Dance. Been that way for so long (maybe since 1970), I can't imagine anything else.

I had no clue they did that. As a musician, I appreciate that they use Khachaturian's work although I worry about the connotation. The Sabre Dance has become almost tongue-in-cheek in modern parlance so I'd think that it conveys a feeling of ineptitude or something resembling the Keystone Kops.

It's part of tradition, so Sabres fans really have their own context with the team for the song. Nobody else hears it much other than your local fans, so you don't need to "sell" it to anyone outside your market. When I hear it anywhere, my mind immediately jumps to the Sabres. I get what you're saying, though: if I try to think about it outside the Sabres context, I imagine a guy spinning a bunch of plates.

I don't think there's anything inept about plate-spinning. You ever try to spin plates, assorted members of the CCSLC? Because I bet if you did, you wound up with some broken plates!

More hockey teams should incorporate classical music. Mostly because I like hockey and classical music.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't think there's anything inept about plate-spinning. You ever try to spin plates, assorted members of the CCSLC? Because I bet if you did, you wound up with some broken plates!

More hockey teams should incorporate classical music. Mostly because I like hockey and classical music.

lol, more zany than inept was my intention.

Archived