The Difference a Facemask Can Make

andycumbee19

I was putting together a souvenir program at my design job and had to place these 2 photos. Looking at the two photos side by side, I realized just how much better #8 looks (and it's JUST because of the style of facemask!) Personally, based on my avatar, I'm sure you can see why I love this team's helmets so much. :winner: Am I alone on this or do you also believe that a facemask can make a helmet look more/less visually appealing?

Malcolm_-_HSSR_zps92365b79.jpg

RJ_Tyler_-_HSSR_zps9edc5dc9.jpg

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I completely agree that a face mask makes all the difference, I try to get the most simple facemasks I can because I think that looks a lot better. Although I have never been a fan of the running back style facemasks (#8) but there is something about that other one that doesn't look right at all

yea i think you're going to be hard pressed to find someone around here who dosent agree. i like both of those mask in the OP, two classics for me. sometimes a single bar can make all the difference. it's all about proportion, balance, and visual weight

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I agree that a facemask can make a huge difference. Take Ray Lewis for example, the first facemask looks great and his is intimidating like always. While the second facemask makes him look like he trying way too hard.

ray-lewis-injury-ravens-10-15-12-4_3_r536_c534.jpg?1b79b3da202957124496e3768cfb7b67cdb10c81

RayLewis159075827.jpg

spacer.png

I completely agree that a face mask makes all the difference, I try to get the most simple facemasks I can because I think that looks a lot better. Although I have never been a fan of the running back style facemasks (#8) but there is something about that other one that doesn't look right at all

The one #8 is wearing is the only style I like anymore Lol. Eventhough I strongly disagree on Chris Culliver's views on gay issues, gotta admit I was kinda halfway cheering for him in the SB because his facemask style is the one I prefer. Crazy, No?

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

I used to root against Joe Theismann because I hated the look of his face mask so much...

theismann.jpg

On the other hand, I hated the look of Dan Marino's, as well, but for the opposite reason. It was too much face mask for a quarterback...

Dan%20Marino%20131.jpg

These two were awfully ugly, as well...

terry_bradshaw_1975_08_30.jpg

archie_manning_1973_01_01.jpg

The one in the first photo in the original post is actually my favorite of all-time. It's also the one Riddell chose for their mini helmets, so I may not be alone.

Absolutely. Incidentally, I like #4's facemask better. For me the time this really hit me was when Peyton Manning got his new helmet. I could not stand that mask.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Completely agree. I've always loved this facemask since I was in High School:

Priest1.jpg

But the "new" version so-to-speak isn't very appealing to me at all:

helmt_revo_speed_zoom.jpg

And the worst looking modern facemask in my opinion, is the what I always call "The Peyton":

video-broncosx-large.jpg

sportscarfskczps1d52136.png

Absolutely. Incidentally, I like #4's facemask better. For me the time this really hit me was when Peyton Manning got his new helmet. I could not stand that mask.

Here is my favorite type of mask:

[Favre pic Removed]

Now that u brought up Favre, I was watching SB 32 again the other day again and I noticed I didn't when I originally watched it 15 years ago. He along with several other Packers had double clips on each side of the mask (one screwing in towards the front of the helmet, one towards the back, directly over each other. I couldn't believe what I was seeing

Edit: Quick Screengrab

Favre_zps96c619ec.jpg

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

I still think this one is the best -- two vertical, two horizontal. Worn by the majority of the great quarterbacks to ever play the game:

montana_feature1.gif

Also, I find it very distracting when players switch facemasks. Tom Brady flirted with it for a bit, before going back to his old helmet, and it looked so weird.

tumblr_l3nntuUkgx1qbdxb2o1_500.jpg

Like someone else mentioned, Peyton Manning wears what I believe to be the ugliest facemask in football history. Once, he wore a visor with it in training camp (after he hurt his eye, I think) and it looked bizarre:

2010_0803_trainingcamp_175_stoll.jpg

I hate when players change their facemask and/or helmet style partway through their career. When that's how you recognize a player on the field it's basically like they changed their face.

My favorite facemask

ken-anderson.jpg

runner up

a75bdc43c227c10949febd76b0477d3c.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

Here is my favorite type of mask:

brett-favre.jpg

Not a fan. Looks so dated when players still use this aka Tom Brady. Wish he had stuck with the updated facemask.

Falcons. UGA. Hawks. Braves. Tottenham Hotspur. Atlanta United

Archived